FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by Mountain » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I don't know much about re-mastering stuff, but is there a reason why they remaster some scenes in black and white or is this just for the trailer...?
It's basically just a lot easier to adjust the brightness (the black level) and the contrast (the white level) without the color, which is usually done afterwards (the color, that is).

www.KristaMichaels.com

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:18 am

They are using a program that automatically identifies the film damage. By using it, the entire footage is shown in black and white, and only the damage is coloured in pink. Q-TEC used the same kind of program for Kai.

(Thank you for a scan, Kanzentai.com!)

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:57 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:Why not just take Kai, make it completely uncensored by the standards of the original manga, remaster it, and you have the epitome of Dragon Ball.
Because Kai isn't DBZ. It's a different series. Kai has already been remastered, while FUNi is using multi-generational film, or Dragon Box master (someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure which master they are using) to remaster it in Blu-Ray high definition with proper aspect ratio, which should have been released in the first place back in 2007.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:26 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Because Kai isn't DBZ. It's a different series. Kai has already been remastered, while FUNi is using multi-generational film, or Dragon Box master (someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure which master they are using) to remaster it in Blu-Ray high definition with proper aspect ratio, which should have been released in the first place back in 2007.
We have every reason to believe it's FUNi's own multi-generational masters, which FUNi has used on pretty much any "remastering" of DB prior to DBox.

I do not recall if FUNi's done a job like this specifically for Blu-Ray before (most of their other Blu-Ray based animes are from the digital era, and YuYu Hakusho's remastering was obtained from the Japanese source like Dragon Box.), so their various "remasterings" on DVD should give an idea of how they've done this previously; their range has been varied, especially with DB and Z: IIRC their first touting of a "remaster" started with the actually-really-good-looking Ultimate Uncut Dead Zone, where a few slight adjustments made for quite a difference between their DVD and the old Pioneer DVD in terms of visual quality. Unfortunately they followed that up with the imfamous Orange Bricks, but the Blue Brick DB Seasons and Uncut Blood Movies, IIRC, looked pretty good remastered as well.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 pm

*sigh*

If only this were kai, uncensored, but with the filler (the good filler, anyways).

Any chance this will go through a similar process as kai?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:*sigh*

If only this were kai, uncensored, but with the filler (the good filler, anyways).

Any chance this will go through a similar process as kai?
Why don't you just watch Kai on DVD or Blu-ray? Sure, it doesn't have all the filler but, it just sounds like that's what you want.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:If only this were kai, uncensored, but with the filler
Isn't that what Dragon Ball Z is? :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:05 pm

He's probably talking about the dub.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 pm

I doubt they'll do it, but if they were going to re-record the show it would be now. Mainly so the audio is good enough to match the video.

The old dub -- as much as it nostolgia bombs me -- honestly hasn't aged very well and a new one could really help the product... especially since they could do such a better job with the current crew for Kai. The only thing that makes me think they might be doing it is due to how low the episode count is for the Blurays, but again, I highly doubt it. Especially with the old Goku speech on the coverart, I bet the most we'll get is some more line noodling.

Also, I will say, if they don't redo the audio for this release, they likely never will.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Who knows? I really, really doubt they would redub it, but if they did, they would either leave that speech in, or have it on a separate audio track.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Nah, I mean using the same re-mastering or whatever they did for kai, only without the censoring and with the good filler.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Nah, I mean using the same re-mastering or whatever they did for kai, only without the censoring and with the good filler.
That's what I wanted out of Kai from the very beginning. Get rid of the starring contests and padding and contradictory stuff, but any filler that just added to the show should have been left in. They could still trim it down like the rest of the series; maybe the fake Namek stuff (which, from the perspective of someone who didn't follow the series week-to-week habitually, I thought it was pretty good) could last one episode or less, and so on.

As for a Blu-Ray release, I might get it sometime down the line, but I haven't even gotten all the Dragon Boxes yet, so that's my main focus.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:14 am

I have made my own decision that all 7 DBZ Dragon Boxes and Z Kai will be my final purchases for anything related to Z. Any re-re-re-re-re-release after those: Pass. IF they actually announce the Z Movies in Dragon Box format, I'll consider that my final Z purchase. I rather FUNI acquire the rights to the rest of the Dragon Boxes for DB, GT, and the other movies/specials (if possible), than a re-hash of Z.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:42 am

SolarBlade52 wrote:I have made my own decision that all 7 DBZ Dragon Boxes and Z Kai will be my final purchases for anything related to Z. Any re-re-re-re-re-release after those: Pass. IF they actually announce the Z Movies in Dragon Box format, I'll consider that my final Z purchase. I rather FUNI acquire the rights to the rest of the Dragon Boxes for DB, GT, and the other movies/specials (if possible), than a re-hash of Z.
I feel pretty much the way you do, but if the hook contains extremely juicy bait, I'll bite. That is to say, if the Blu-ray has a killer lossless Japanese track and all the original openings, endings, NEPs, and recaps, I'll definitely snatch it up. At the same time, I'm probably fine with my DBOX collection. =)

www.KristaMichaels.com

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:37 am

SolarBlade52 wrote:I rather FUNI acquire the rights to the rest of the Dragon Boxes for DB, GT, and the other movies/specials (if possible), than a re-hash of Z.
Those 're-hash' releases of Z are what the counterbalance is to 'risky' releases. Which DBoxes for DB and GT likely are.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:11 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
SolarBlade52 wrote:I rather FUNI acquire the rights to the rest of the Dragon Boxes for DB, GT, and the other movies/specials (if possible), than a re-hash of Z.
Those 're-hash' releases of Z are what the counterbalance is to 'risky' releases. Which DBoxes for DB and GT likely are.
That's the idea I'm getting with this release. The money made with this release of Z could be used to purchase the masters (or copy of the masters) of DB and GT. Here's hoping that it could happen.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm sure it could happen. I doubt FUNi would argue with the opportunity to put out more stuff with "Dragon Ball" in the title, even if there isn't a Z there. I've always gotten the impression that Toei was the hindrance.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 pm

The cover, in case it hasn't been posted yet. Looks like they're bringing back the orange!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The cover, in case it hasn't been posted yet. Looks like they're bringing back the orange!
Hmm... I don't hate it. The art and design seem alright... I just don't like the DURAGON BUROH ZOMG!!! or that "Hope of the Universe" speech slapped on there.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Judging by this, it looks like it will go 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, etc.
It also looks like it makes a picture when you line them all up. :mrgreen: