FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:All releases postponed starting with Level 2.1. It seems to be a matter of them starting the line too soon with too little finished. Money could also be an issue, considering the large size of the project and the small size of FUNimation.
Fuck. Now I hope 1.1 and 1.2 don't get rare. Even more so, I hope they eventually go past 2.1.
If they are indeed shelved for the moment, now would be the best time to buy these two volumes. It is the complete first saga in HD, unlike the Ultimate Uncut series which left off a few episodes too early.
No, they only go to episode 34. The saga ends at 36.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote: No, they only go to episode 34. The saga ends at 36.
Really? Shit, I guess here we go again.
But, in all seriousness, this did come out of nowhere. History repeating itself over here. Let's just hope that the Orange Masters are not re-purposed for BD release.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 pm

well...this sucks. This would of ran perfectly to fit into my original FUNimation singles...

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:10 pm

FUNimation has finally collapsed under the weight of seemingly annual Dragon Ball Z re-releases.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Lance Freeman wrote:FUNimation has finally collapsed under the weight of seemingly annual Dragon Ball Z re-releases.
I think they bit off more than they can chew

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 pm

An inconsistent Dragon Ball home video release? You don't say.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm

-Glances at Dragon Boxes-
Glad to know I invested in the right release.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm

I just can't believe this. I bought a Blu-ray player. I bought level 1.1 and 1.2, I thought ''finely I'm going to have a great release'' But then....Can someone tell me are they just putting the project on hold for a couple months or are they stopping it all together.

But I can understand. What did they expect when they're over-saturating the market.
Seasons sets
Dragon-boxes
Dragonball Z Kai
the level sets
How many times can they keep pumping the show out? Look at the movies. The bilingual DVD's Remastered steel sets, Blu-rays, then coming out with the movie packs again?
Last edited by samuraix123 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I just can't believe this. I bought a Blu-ray player. I bought level 1.1 and 1.2, I thought ''finely I'm going to have a great release'' But then....Can someone tell me are they just putting the project on hold for a couple months or are they stopping it all together.
At the moment, it looks to me like it's cancelled.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Guess there wasn't enough DVNR and cropping.

In all seriousness, this really does sound like it might have something to do with Toei.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:In all seriousness, this really does sound like it might have something to do with Toei.
How do you figure? I don't get that impression at all from what was stated in the press release.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm not entirely sure I trust that statement. They aren't new to the series. They know how long it is and, given their experience in the industry, would probably have done their accounting homework prior to beginning the process. It just sounds so ridiculous to me that a veteran like FUNi would make such a rookie move and start a process without considering the financial scope. Granted, it's possible that some link in the chain unexpectedly became more expensive for whatever reason. But it just sounds off. And, while I don't consider myself a cynical person, FUNi doesn't exactly have a flawless track record when it comes to straight shooting.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 pm

I think underestimated lack of sales and mixed (perhaps a bit more negative) reviews didn't help things..

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm

If I had to throw out a guess, maybe they had a falling out with Steve Franko and his company. But, yes, glad I have the Dragon Boxes. I can imagine anyone who bought these to be a bit nervous right now. HOPEFULLY the 1080p versions of the orange bricks won't be the next step, otherwise it will be 2007 all over again...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I think underestimated lack of sales and mixed (perhaps a bit more negative) reviews didn't help things..
Mixed reviews, huh?

What exactly have the negative ones said?
-Joey

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I think underestimated lack of sales and mixed (perhaps a bit more negative) reviews didn't help things..
Mixed reviews, huh?

Yeah, the majority I've seen that aren't as "positive" seem more apathetic than negative.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:24 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:Mixed reviews, huh?

The negative ones I've seen seem to be complaining over it being a rerelease, because FUNi is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it, apparently.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:27 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Lance Freeman wrote:FUNimation has finally collapsed under the weight of seemingly annual Dragon Ball Z re-releases.
I think they bit off more than they can chew
I'm going with this; particularly since the same ANN podcast in which they discussed them also brought up that the process was not easy or cheap to execute. This almost doesn't surprise me.

Still a damn shame.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Mixed reviews, huh?

From what I've seen people complained about the film grain (especially with 1.1)..then there are those who complained about the wrong opening. ..

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm

I was never too positive about this, and each volume only having 17 episodes, plus the price being a little excessive didn't help get this idea off of me.

So in alternative to the DBZ Levels, there's the Dragon Boxes (Out of Print) and the Orange Bricks (horrible shitty quality). Wait...

Just wait and hope it's a delay for sometime, lets say, 6-9 months like Kai Part 7 and then they'll get back to it, but I'm feeling this outta be canned.

FUNimation should've also released these DBZ Level sets on DVD format, but then they'd have to use a different design to not look so much like the orange bricks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray