FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Son Satan wrote:Which FUNimation does all the time with Dragon Ball. The Orange Bricks have been manufactured consistently since 2007 despite other releases of the same Z material being done.
Not quite.

The Orange Bricks were always advertised as the primary release, and by the time the Dboxes were announced, most of those sets were prices quite cheaply and on shelves at nearly any place that sells DVD. Constantly refilling those creates cashflow for Funimation.

Dboxes didn't compete with those, because if someone bought a Dbox they either- 1. Were upgrade from the Orange Bricks. 2. Were getting them instead of the cheaper Orange Bricks. 3. Weren't going to buy the Orange Bricks due to the issues with them.

The BD release didn't compete with those because they went out of their way not to do DVDs of the new remaster.

Multiple releases doesn't mean you are competing with yourself if done right.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 pm

MarcFBR wrote:Not quite.

The Orange Bricks were always advertised as the primary release, and by the time the Dboxes were announced, most of those sets were prices quite cheaply and on shelves at nearly any place that sells DVD. Constantly refilling those creates cashflow for Funimation.

Dboxes didn't compete with those, because if someone bought a Dbox they either- 1. Were upgrade from the Orange Bricks. 2. Were getting them instead of the cheaper Orange Bricks. 3. Weren't going to buy the Orange Bricks due to the issues with them.

The BD release didn't compete with those because they went out of their way not to do DVDs of the new remaster.

Multiple releases doesn't mean you are competing with yourself if done right.
When you put it that way, I see what you mean. I guess I just took it as more "competing with yourself: multiple products at once" rather than them being essentially the same thing on the same format.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm

This morning, I have been watching the first few episodes of Dragon Ball Z from the Dragon Box and the BD level release, side-by-side on my computer. I've come to the conclusion that this series of releases would be absolutely perfect if it had the correct openings, closings, title cards, and next episode previews, and slightly better...damn, what's the technical term? Contrast? Saturation? Whatever factor is responsible for the moments in which the blacks are so crushed that nearly all detail is lost within the relative darkness of a tree or a character's outfit. Anyway, if the darks weren't so damn dark, and we had all the other little things included in the Dragon Boxes and missing from every other Funimation release (and if the Level sets haven't been suspended/canceled altogether), we would have on our hands the most definitive of definitive Dragon Ball Z releases. Everything about the Level sets screams "close, but no cigar," and it's a damn shame.

Edit: I suppose it's worth pointing out that, for a true "definitive" release ("definitive" being about as objectively definable as "canon"), this hypothetical release would also have to contain Japanese audio of the same quality as that of original broadcasts, which we all know to be technically impossible.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Well, can't say I didn't realize that there was a chance this release would be quickly axed. Seemed much too ambitious.

A real shame. Maybe the prices will drop and I'll pick them up just for the hell of it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm

The dream of watching Majin Boo's arc in 1080p HD has been dropped.

Now, if FUNimation gets back to releasing the rest of the Level sets I expect the quality to be far inferior to the one they had originally.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:17 pm

On another note, I finally got around to making a 1.2 comparison video with the Dragon Box and Season Sets.

http://www.mediafire.com/?93bt42p1dy9ou1e

It should be in the link above and it should be PS3 compatible. It's "green sky material", just for fun.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 pm

I'd like to know, is the US Music on DBZ Level 1.1 and 1.2 from Nathan Johnson or Team Faulconer?

Oh shoot! Amazon has increased the price of Level 1.1 to $24. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'd like to know, is the US Music on DBZ Level 1.1 and 1.2 from Nathan Johnson or Team Faulconer?
Since Faulconer Productions only scored episodes 68-291, it's the Nathan Johnson score.
-Joey

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Oh shoot! Amazon has increased the price of Level 1.1 to $24. :?
I also notice it says,
"Only 1 left in stock--order soon."
If they were getting more, it would say "more on the way". Is this a sign they're being discontinued or am I looking into this too much?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:"Only 1 left in stock--order soon."
If they were getting more, it would say "more on the way". Is this a sign they're being discontinued or am I looking into this too much?
Looks like it's being discontinued to me. Pick it up while you can? I noticed 1.2 yesterday at Target. It'll be fun to watched the 3rd party sellers prices and used prices. Let's see if we see the same pattern of price increases like DBox #2.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I already have it, but if anybody does want it that hasn't gotten it yet, I guess now would be the time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 am

I knew DBZ Level 1.1 and 1.2 were discontinued, I just didn't thought it'd hit Amazon so early.

Dragon Ball Z - Level 1.1 - $24.99 (Blu-ray)
Dragon Ball Z - Level 1.2 - $25.99 (Blu-ray)

The orange bricks are now the only affordable solution for those that want the complete series cheap, complete, available and with the US Music.

FUNimation really needs to re-release the DBZ series on DVD with Dragon Box quality, or Level's type. OB's so shitty. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I knew DBZ Level 1.1 and 1.2 were discontinued, I just didn't thought it'd hit Amazon so early.

Dragon Ball Z - Level 1.1 - $24.99 (Blu-ray)
Dragon Ball Z - Level 1.2 - $25.99 (Blu-ray)
What are you saying? Both are still in stock at Amazon according to the links you provided. :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:33 am

Yeah, but the prices went from $15.99 to $24.99, FUNimation did the announcement of the suspension and now they're discontinued it makes sense to go OoP.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 am

Okay, thanks. :)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 am

Metalwario64 wrote:What are you saying? Both are still in stock at Amazon according to the links you provided. :?
The other day, level 1.1 did say "only X more in stock, order soon."

Usually they will say something like "more expected soon" if they have more shipments coming.
ect5150

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Is it true FUNimation is going to do a Dragon Ball Z Level Season One Blu-ray release?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Add level 1.1 & 1.2 together? I haven't heard anything about that
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I wonder how viable it would be for FUNimation to release a 'best of' disc if they can't afford to do the whole series? It's probably a huge financial risk, but it'd be interesting to see how it'd do.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I wonder how viable it would be for FUNimation to release a 'best of' disc if they can't afford to do the whole series? It's probably a huge financial risk, but it'd be interesting to see how it'd do.
I would love to see the Cell games personally on the BluRay releases.
ect5150