FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Mail finally came and delivered! Here are some more screen shots... click to view the full version - 1080P PNG files.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Also, I can confirm the DVD image I posted above with the film damage is fixed as well in this release. All film damage is visibly gone. I can spot one or two visual issues, but they are extremely minor. Even the DBox wasn't 100% perfect.

I'll have more later and I'll have to make that comparison video tomorrow.

On a side note, I didn't realize that the lossless dolby trueHD japanese mono was only 96 kbits/sec.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:49 pm

ect5150 wrote:Mail finally came and delivered! Here are some more screen shots... click to view the full version - 1080P PNG files.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Also, I can confirm the DVD image I posted above with the film damage is fixed as well in this release. All film damage is visibly gone. I can spot one or two visual issues, but they are extremely minor. Even the DBox wasn't 100% perfect.

I'll have more later and I'll have to make that comparison video tomorrow.

On a side note, I didn't realize that the lossless dolby trueHD japanese mono was only 96 kbits/sec.
Nice pics!!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 pm

By contrast, here is what we had with the Orange Bricks, Dragon Boxes and Kai (note, we may not be looking at the exact same frame):

As always, click for the full uncompressed versions--

Orange Brick

Bluray Levels

R2 Dragon Box

Kai DVD

Here we can get a sense why we didn't like the Orange Brick releases too much. The blue highlights on the armor are hard to detect on the Orange Bricks, but were visible on the Dragon Box. With the new BD release, we get the highlights without some of the pastel colors. So far, I think it's a great release (although I have only watched it a bit).

----and on a side note, I had really forgotten how bad the contrast and saturation was during the Makankosappo scene on the Orange Bricks... that's the scene I'm prepping for my video, and it will bring back bad memories for some of you guys! :lol:

edited for Kai
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:10 pm

So... can anyone show us some actual clips besides the openings? I'd like to see a clip of the menus, if that's okay.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Yo, etc5150, think you could post this shot from the Blu-Ray?

I'd like to be the exact same frame if you wouldn't mind. It's from the end of episode 2 as soon as the fighting starts.

Thanks.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:13 pm

SSJMan wrote:Its not the exact same frame. But close.
So...worthless.
I will be getting these, without a doubt. People on YouTube are going on and on about how it's just another way for FUNi to rape your wallet. These look better than the Dragon Boxes so far. I can't make judgments based simply on screenshots though, so I'll make sure to watch it in motion. I just think people refuse to accept anything looking better than the Dragon Boxes.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
So...worthless.
I will be getting these, without a doubt. People on YouTube are going on and on about how it's just another way for FUNi to rape your wallet. These look better than the Dragon Boxes so far. I can't make judgments based simply on screenshots though, so I'll make sure to watch it in motion. I just think people refuse to accept anything looking better than the Dragon Boxes.
Actually for me it just that the Dragon Box are good enough I can watch and enjoy the show i can choose between english and japanese and it in 4:3 with the correct colours thats all I want I expect I not the only one who thinks that.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:People on YouTube are going on and on about how it's just another way for FUNi to rape your wallet.
This may be true... however, if you are willing to be raped...?

The price point isn't horrible at all, and if you didn't mind the grain in the Dragon Boxes, I don't see how you'd mind the grain here. It looks good in motion. In my opinion, it's the best the series has ever looked. My only complaint - if I were to have to register one - is that the grain causes encoding issues. The average bitrate tends to be around 25 Mbits/sec for the video. But for grainy material, it always looks better slightly higher. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen higher bitrates and just a third disc for the space. The BD spec for the video will support a maximum video bitrate of around 40 Mbits/sec. That, the inclusion of the opening title cards and next ep. previews would be ideal. Otherwise, the video clean up appears to be just as good as the DBox cleanup... which is saying something.
ect5150

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:People on YouTube are going on and on about how it's just another way for FUNi to rape your wallet.
This may be true... however, if you are willing to be raped...?

The price point isn't horrible at all, and if you didn't mind the grain in the Dragon Boxes, I don't see how you'd mind the grain here. It looks good in motion. In my opinion, it's the best the series has ever looked. My only complaint - if I were to have to register one - is that the grain causes encoding issues. The average bitrate tends to be around 25 Mbits/sec for the video. But for grainy material, it always looks better slightly higher. Ideally, I would have liked to have seen higher bitrates and just a third disc for the space. The BD spec for the video will support a maximum video bitrate of around 40 Mbits/sec. That, the inclusion of the opening title cards and next ep. previews would be ideal. Otherwise, the video clean up appears to be just as good as the DBox cleanup... which is saying something.
It's not rape if your willing! :lol:
But yeah, the grain's okay. It's good in some shots, but really noticeable in others, like, say, here.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

The trailer For 1.2 shows relay good video (for youtube that is :mrgreen: ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGqsIQiaT4 It may be helpful
Last edited by SSJMan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
So...worthless.
I wouldn't say rape, just sucker in people into buying the same product over and over. It's not a bad thing when it's an improvement over the DVD counterpart. This counterpart being the Orange Season Sets. With the possibility of the Dragon Boxes going OOP, which is great, the BD sets can hold center stage as a high quality product. Though, the way FUNimation does releases, the potential of a "Season" bundle seems inevitable. Which is why I'm just going to wait or get these for free from friends.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Can anyone post pictures of the menu? Is it the same as the orange bricks?
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:39 pm

dragonpiece wrote:Can anyone post pictures of the menu? Is it the same as the orange bricks?
They aren't.
ect5150

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 pm

ect5150 wrote:
dragonpiece wrote:Can anyone post pictures of the menu? Is it the same as the orange bricks?
They aren't.
Well...could you post pictures please?
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

dragonpiece wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
They aren't.
Blu-ray menus can't be properly captured.

It's a combination of a video stream, with multiple images put on top of it while the video is running.

Only three ways I know of to capture them are 1- Take a photo of the screen with a camera. 2- Put the assets in an image editor and recreate them. 3- Put the assets in a BD authoring program and recreate them.

And sometimes some of the overlay menu assets can be annoying to find on the disk.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 pm

dragonpiece wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
They aren't.
Here is a picture of the menu for you man:)
http://images2.static-bluray.com/review ... _1080p.jpg

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 pm

We get marathon mode? Sweet.

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Whew!

Sorry I was gone for a few months, stuff hit the fan in my personal life....

Anyhow, any new details? Have comparison video been released? etc?

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, some people have got the set. Read the past 15 pages and you should have everything you need to know.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Or there is the fourth method to screencap a BD menu, which I had forgotten, which I believe is what Blu-ray.com does.

You use an HDFury or other device to get a signal you can capture from a standard BD player.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.