FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 am

samuraix123 wrote:I'm positive. Because just the other day my friend pointed out to me that the level sets were gone for march. I seen it with my own eyes, but now it's back?
If that was the case then the last edit date would be either yesterday or today so something's not adding up.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am

I don't know what it is then either I swear I'm not lying. Why would I? I check Funimation's releases everyday, because I'm waiting to see when Black Lagoon Roberta's blood trail is coming out.
Maybe it was an error on the page? But I still believe their canceled no matter what I saw. But has Funimation said anything else about this? I hate that they used the word ''suspended'' (like they're still wanting you to hope for something) sounds like a fancy way of saying ''canceled''
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:51 pm

If they wanted you to believe they were cancelled, they would have flat out said it in the press release.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Gotham22 wrote:If they wanted you to believe they were cancelled, they would have flat out said it in the press release.
Wait, what?
The Actual Press Release wrote:...we are unable to continue these releases by way of this process. FUNimation will be re-evaluating the current process and researching more efficient methods of restoration.
I don't know what else you need to know. These releases, as-is with the process that they used to create 1.1 and 1.2, will not continue. At all. In any way. They are done.

Did they leave themselves open to SOME OTHER TYPE of Blu-ray release in the future? Of course. It's not like when the Ultimate Uncut Edition was canceled they said, "We're never doing DVDs ever again!" Same thing here. Prior product? Done for. Different product down the line? Sure.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:If they wanted you to believe they were cancelled, they would have flat out said it in the press release.
Wait, what?
The Actual Press Release wrote:...we are unable to continue these releases by way of this process. FUNimation will be re-evaluating the current process and researching more efficient methods of restoration.
I don't know what else you need to know. These releases, as-is with the process that they used to create 1.1 and 1.2, will not continue. At all. In any way. They are done.

Did they leave themselves open to SOME OTHER TYPE of Blu-ray release in the future? Of course. It's not like when the Ultimate Uncut Edition was canceled they said, "We're never doing DVDs ever again!" Same thing here. Prior product? Done for. Different product down the line? Sure.
You must have missed the 2 or 3 pages earlier in the thread where me and everyone else is trying to convince Gotham that YES the BDs have been cancelled.

He seems to believe because they didn't use the word 'cancelled' that means they are not cancelled.

I'm worried about the poor boy... I think he's drunk on cheese!
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Wait, what?

Thats not saying they're cancelled.

MarcFBR wrote:[You must have missed the 2 or 3 pages earlier in the thread where me and everyone else is trying to convince Gotham that YES the BDs have been cancelled.

He seems to believe because they didn't use the word 'cancelled' that means they are not cancelled.

I'm worriedt the poor boy... I think he's drunk on cheese!
You and others will never convince me. So give up already.

Zrorro

Post by Zrorro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 pm

The blu-rays are at least suspended right now. Because I got a e-mail from Amazon saying they had to take off my preorders of the level 2 sets.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm

What is it saying then, if it's not saying they're cancelled?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Gotham22 wrote:You and others will never convince me. So give up already.
You've been presented with the exact phrasing from the company that creates them that tells you that additional Blu-rays created with the same method as "Level 1.1" and "1.2" will not be produced, and the ones that were scheduled for March will not be released. Several other websites have independently followed-up with the company and received the exact same information.

I'm curious why it is that you're so indignant about it. Are you doing it just to avoid feeling "wrong" about making a bad guess? There's nothing wrong with conceding to the facts -- quite the contrary, since it shows an incredible amount of maturity and comfort with yourself.

I wonder if you're just arguing for the sake of arguing (again, just to not feel wrong), but are saying the exact same thing the rest of us are -- the "Level" sets are done and will not continue, but FUNimation has left themselves open to the possibility of releasing some other type of Blu-ray version of the series.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:47 pm

To the ones saying they are cancelled....

You mean if funimation rereleases the BDs again, they'll start with episode 1 again (for the annoying 5th time).
funimation is really making themselves look really dumb and bad. They need to release something to make them look good again with the DB franchise. Either rerelease the Z dragon boxes for a short period of time or release the DB dragon box or movie dragon box.

Kai isn't going to help them either.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Gotham22 wrote:To the ones saying they are cancelled....

You mean if funimation rereleases the BDs again, they'll start with episode 1 again (for the annoying 5th time).
funimation is really making themselves look really dumb and bad. They need to release something to make them look good again with the DB franchise. Either rerelease the Z dragon boxes for a short period of time or release the DB dragon box or movie dragon box.

Kai isn't going to help them either.
It doesn't mean they would start with 1 again. They could easily just re-release the first 2 level sets, then start up with the new process at Level 2.1 (and using any additional episodes they finished), but that is just speculation.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Why re-release the first 2 sets if the rest of the sets are going to have a cheaper remastering process? Either stick to DVD or just cancel the sets.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:26 pm

CyberpunkCentral wrote:Why re-release the first 2 sets if the rest of the sets are going to have a cheaper remastering process? Either stick to DVD or just cancel the sets.
I think doing these BDs was too soon.

1. The season sets aren't discountinued yet.
2. The dragon boxes are just going out of stock.
3. Kai hasn't finsihed it's DVD/BD run.
Last edited by Gotham22 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:27 pm

CyberpunkCentral wrote:Why re-release the first 2 sets if the rest of the sets are going to have a cheaper remastering process? Either stick to DVD or just cancel the sets.
To be consistent.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Other than not being able to afford their current remastering process, Funimation knows they can't get Z to look any better than how they were doing it with the Levels, leaving them stumped on possibly re-releasing Z again because the Levels were the best quality they could have gotten. Just hope their next line of Z Blu-rays will look anything like the Levels and that they actually complete it. The Dragon Boxes are superbly satisfying, and I'm going to hold on to them with my dear life, but the Levels clearly look better. I really want Blu-rays since the discs are less formidable to scratches.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:07 pm

I think FUNimation should just simply wait. Wait until they gain enough money for the remastering process and get better film masters. Or wait until Toei makes their own Blu-rays. But even if Toei does remaster Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray, it still doesn't mean it will look as good if not better than the Level sets. I mean It could, but there's that chance that it might not. Toei isn't perfect either. But since the Level sets are cancelled it really doesn't matter anymore.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm still extremely skeptical about the press release's reasoning but disregarding that for a minute, if there's really an argument over whether or not something is "cancelled" let's say they do eventually find some new, affordable means to produce Blu-rays. Even if they don't begin at episode 1 again and just pick up where they left off, given that the new releases would be produced under a completely different process (presumably) wouldn't that still justify calling the current line "cancelled"?

Just because something begins where another left off doesn't necessarily mean they're still in the same product line. I don't think I'd consider the original line of Pioneer singles in the same "line" as the subsequent dual audio DVDs even though the latter was technically meant to continue where the originals left off. So, for all intents and purposes, given the necessary change in production, this particular Blu-ray release is cancelled and any future release simply may build off of it if FUNi so chooses.

Knowing FUNi I think that's probably unlikely and we'll be getting more Raditz. But if it does happen I'd be hard pressed to consider the current line of Blu-rays anything but cancelled. Cancelled in favor of the new line, so to speak. Maaaaybe if, for whatever reason, they decide to keep the exact same packaging and such I'd go back on that but I also think that's extremely unlikely to happen.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:14 pm

I've had 1.1 and 1.2 for a few days now, and I noticed something. The animation seemed a lot more...fluent. I don't know what it is, but it just seems smoother than anything else. Did anyone else notice this?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 pm

You mean the film didn't kinda ''Drag?'' Because I noticed just over all it seemed to run smoother and cleaner. That's why I'm bummed about this being canceled. But what can ya do
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Understand I didn't own these sets but it sounded like they did some jitter correction. When I rented the orange bricks way back when from Netflix, my biggest problem - more than anything else - was the jittering. Perhaps you're used to the insane level of that?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]