Dragon Box Color?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KuriboShoe

Dragon Box Color?

Post by KuriboShoe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Is there any way to correct the color without saturating or bleaching the colors?
"HI GIRLS!" - Twilght Sparkle
I don't like the fanfic "Cupcakes"
"Silly Vegeta, It's not Halloween, It's Christmas!" - TFS Goku

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Box Color?

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:10 pm

KuriboShoe wrote:Is there any way to correct the color without saturating or bleaching the colors?
Like this?:

The unedited Dragon Box is on the left, and my simple color corrections are on the right.

All I did was removed the red color cast with the "remove color cast" option in Photoshop, then I manually removed the redness from the blacks by lowering the dark red levels.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Oh thank God, I thought this would be another color accuracy discussion.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 pm

In all honesty, I really like those touch ups!

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Those look great, Metalwario64. :)

www.KristaMichaels.com

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:48 pm

I almost forget how fucking pink the DBox is at times. Great pics, metalwario!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:44 am

I for one really love the pink skin tone.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:07 am

I like that the Dragonbox looks its age while still being an extremely clean release, but I am excited about seeing this new remaster if color correction from decent masters is really that simple.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Would the pink-correction also fix the "Green skies? If not, how would that work?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:Would the pink-correction also fix the "Green skies? If not, how would that work?
It actually tends to make them a little greener. But it depends on the color of the tint of the film. For yellowish tints, it makes skies more blue, but for red tints, it makes skies more green.

Examples (mine on right, Dragon Box on left):

Red

Yellow

For very green skies, you need more in-depth color correction:

Here I had to use Photoshop's "replace color" tool to add more of a bluish tint to the green color that the sky was. I think legitimate people who work in video editing may have tools with the same function.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Soul wrote:I for one really love the pink skin tone.
I for one think it makes the characters look sick or sunburned.

Japanese design their characters to look like white people, but there is a limit to how much they should resemble white people. :mrgreen:
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 am

And yet when I told people that the skin colors on the Dragon Boxes looked too pink and I've never seen anyone with pink sin, people were like, "Are you kidding?" Time does that I guess lol I like the pinkness of the Dragon Box because it makes me feel like I have that mystical magical thing that I thought looked too pink, but was still much better than the dark and oversaturated bright grainy things we got in the first place from FUNimation.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 am

but there is a limit to how much they should resemble white people.
Racist much?

I wonder what really caused the red toe, if it was handled frame by frame; by hand or whatever, who in the hell screwed up? It's not hard to undo but it isn't hard to cast a magenta tone too.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 am

Attitudefan wrote:I wonder what really caused the red toe, if it was handled frame by frame; by hand or whatever, who in the hell screwed up? It's not hard to undo but it isn't hard to cast a magenta tone too.
As far as I know, it was due to age and color degradation.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 am

If that's the case, then why are the masters used today, not pink? Like the old film stock FUNi uses, it isn't pink. Honestly the hue looks more digital than anything else...
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:37 am

Attitudefan wrote:If that's the case, then why are the masters used today, not pink? Like the old film stock FUNi uses, it isn't pink. Honestly the hue looks more digital than anything else...
The old FUNi masters had been altered in terms of saturation and whatnot. I think it was to hide flaws in the film and whatnot, but I really haven't read anything about it since around 2007 so it would take someone who's a bit more of a videophile to really explain it.
(they/she)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 am

That pink hue seems to be unnatural to film.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 am

Kendamu wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:If that's the case, then why are the masters used today, not pink? Like the old film stock FUNi uses, it isn't pink. Honestly the hue looks more digital than anything else...
The old FUNi masters had been altered in terms of saturation and whatnot. I think it was to hide flaws in the film and whatnot, but I really haven't read anything about it since around 2007 so it would take someone who's a bit more of a videophile to really explain it.
I think a good question to ask would be "What film stock is Toei's original masters on, and what film stock is FUNi's masters on?"

I decided to google this up and am reading this, by the way.
Last edited by KiddoCabbusses on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:45 am

Attitudefan wrote:That pink hue seems to be unnatural to film.
It has something to do with the degeneration of the film or something.
(they/she)

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:51 am

I think they cleaned the film but left the colors as-is. Fist of the North Star got a similar remaster originally, but they did some color touch-ups with the latest release of it (which is thankfully what Diskotek got when they decided to license FotNS.)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]