Ah...1999...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Ah...1999...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:58 pm

Look at that pic of Planetnamek.com! brings back memories huh...

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/pyron/linkz.html

Also FUNimation.com (classic) is there to.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:55 am

I remember 1999 very well. It was the year I was introduced to Dragonball after all.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:58 am

I was dreamin' when I wrote this, so forgive me if it goes astray...

But you know, I never knew Planet Namek was that popular until I came here. I'd been there a few times, but never thought too much of it - just another random DBZ site with some cool info...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:20 pm

I was still a DBZ newbie when I first saw Planet Namek and didn't really understand much. Now that I've seen all of DB, DBZ, GT and the movies, I wish I could go back so I can read it again with a better understanding.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:30 pm

The S wrote:I was dreamin' when I wrote this, so forgive me if it goes astray...

But you know, I never knew Planet Namek was that popular until I came here. I'd been there a few times, but never thought too much of it - just another random DBZ site with some cool info...
That's because PN was never "popular" per se. They were simply the first site that offered tons of info as well as scans of daizenshuu 1. Then, like every other site, they posted news. To make sure their hits stayed up they offered free hosting for all the good DB sites. The site itself wasn't anything original, it just acted as a DB hub. Why have tons of links when everything's on their site, they host the other sites you'd visit, and they link to the remaining good sites too? I hated pn, but visited it everday. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:07 pm

As Dayspring says PN was NOT really that great of a website, in and of itself. I'd visit PN every dy, but not for website content, the one thing PN did very well was update with news regularly. This was a good way to stay informed. It became the one and only reason I visited that website for a few years, however I stopped doing even that before PN died. Near the end of PN's lifespan - this very website, Daizenshuu EX, started giving more accurate and faster news updates then PN did.

With that said, if theres one thing I do miss its the PN messageboard. Not because of its quality, but rather the lack therof. These boards here are the exact opposite of the PN boards. That is to say the PN boards were unintelligent, and stupid. Why I miss them is simple, it always made me laugh. Some kid there one time was saying it was a for sure thing, we'd never see all of the Freeza DVDs. Then when that happened, we'd never see all the Perfec Cell DVDs. The kid was sure that FUNimation wasn't making any money on their DVDs, and refused to buy them because the sub and dub tracks didnt have surround sound. When I eventually asked why he needed surround sound on a cartoon, he lashed out viciously that anime is superior to cartoons and thus needed it, and I was some kind of a biggot for not seeing the diffrence. So yeah, I miss laughing at morons.
-Laserkid

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:22 pm

I remember Planet Namek. I was never a regular visitor of the website since I was a lot more energetic when I was younger and I didn't use the Internet as much as I do now. I vaguely remember downloading video clips from them, I don't remember doing anything else with PN. It was too long ago, and I have a terrible memory.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:45 pm

I agree with everyone, PN was not that great of a site. It really didnt have any original content. I liked it for the fact that it was the only one that really posted DB related news on a regular basis. And their music files pretty much convinced me to buy the DB/Z 5 CD set.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Aw man... I remember Planet Namek, vaguely. I remember I first found out about it early 2000- and visited like 10 times, and then I forgot about it... and then one day a buddy of mine [who visited it often,] told me it was gone.

It kind of poofed without me noticing.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:07 pm

PN was great because the creater of Made From Goats was often on the message board, which helped introduce me to the true greatest DBZ site of all time! (Seriously, someone's gotta bring back MFG, it was fucking hilarious)

By the way, does anybody remember if those Jon Allen audio clips were hosted on Daizex or PN? Remember, the ones where Kaio is singing "I like big butts" and the Cartman/Saichourou bit? My favourite (which I still quote to this day), was the exchange between Yamucha and Mr. Popo. :lol:

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:14 pm

Hey, I happened to actually like PN. Didn't one of their writers flee to DaizEx once? Or was it the other way around? It was Jon Allen, wasn't it? What's he up to these days?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:21 pm

He voiced Pink Hat Guy in the dub!

Which episode was that, by the way?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:36 pm

Gah...I used to visit that site so often, then one day I mistook it its closing down for my crappy internet acting up...until I checked back again once I got a fast connection. It's been so long I didn't even remember how it looked like, except for the black background.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:40 pm

Mattias wrote:It was Jon Allen, wasn't it?
Mike went on vacation or something, and Jon totally fucked up the entire site. After he got booted from here he went to PN. There was also the whole "sell-out" controversy surrounding his visit to FUNimation. In the end, him and Mr. E pretty much got shunned out of the community (Jon for flip-flopping and E for being a lunatic asshole).

It was quite the little drama they had going on back then (which made it all the more fun!) :P

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:50 pm

There should be a book about this site. :wink:

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 am

I found PN at some point, and poked around it now and then. And then one day it was just gone. Thought it was just down for a bit but it never came back. *shrug*
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:25 am

Yeah, I found Planet Namek when they were selling fansubs and they hosted the manga downloads. What really kept me going to that site for a while was the Little Saiyalings strips that they hosted. Those things were great! I was definately clueless about DBZ news after they shutdown and then I found (the far superior) Daizex.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:12 am

Way to kiss ass Goten

denitonis
Beyond Newbie

Post by denitonis » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:39 am

I liked Planet Namek,
I even stored a lot of pages on my Hard Disk just like I did with more sites I liked for offline reading,
those days I was on a phoneline and that had it drawbacks.

I also stored things like Daimao's episode guide,
info from DragonballZ2057 (I really liked that one though don't remember why also I don't have much about it)
the Ultimate Dragonball Z site or something like it.

I should check at home what other or precisely which sites they were.

Anyway I like the Tenkaichi Budokai info on PN since I knew nothing of the original DB and wouldn't for years later.
They had all kinds of info like links between characters and the formation of the Red Ribbon army.

Yep those good old days :roll:
7/5th of all people do not understand fractions.

Quoting one is plagiarism.
Quoting many is research.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:58 am

Ah, yes, good l' Planet Namek. Back when the site was still around, access to the net was much to expensive in Poland for me, so I visited Internet cafes and downloaded some pages to floppies. In comparision to domestic sites, PN had tons of quality information, so I visited it frequently.

One section I really liked was devoted to poking fun at the very same morons laserkid mentioned, Something-Awful-style. I remember laughing my ass off when reading a letter from a guy who wrote "Commie" insted of "Kami".
It's party time, Ginyu style!