DBZ Coming to the UK? (Apparently yes!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

DBZ Coming to the UK? (Apparently yes!)

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Lookie what we have here.
Looks like we'll finally be getting some Dragon Ball here in the UK.

Listed here are the extras;
BBFC wrote: Runtime Component title
00:05:19:22 DRAGON BALL Z - REBIRTH - PART I: FILM TO VIDEO - THE HD TRANSFER (FEATURETTE)
00:03:05:03 DRAGON BALL Z (PROMO)
00:01:49:01 DRAGON BALL Z (TEXTLESS OPENING CREDITS)
00:01:37:21 UNTITLED (TEXTLESS CLOSING CREDITS)
With Nadonly's name posted there, I'm guessing this will be the upcoming Blu Ray sets and not Kai. The "HD transfer" featurette makes this seem more of a likely conclusion.
'Bout time we got something here.
Last edited by Rory on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball coming to the UK?

Post by SSJSteve » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Rory... what is this? I don't know what it is but I'm excited!

Run time: 11 minutes? I'm confused.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm

That is likely the run-time for the extras on... whatever this product will be (most likely the Blu Rays), rated separately from the main feature.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Oh right.

I wonder what's happening with the Ocean Dub then. It'll be interesting to see what this is.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Interesting. Anyone got any advice (about) where I could get a Cooler steel book that will actually ship to the UK? Most will only ship (to) USA/Canada.. But interesting (to) see this come out. I will wait for more details though.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Didn't the first Season Set also have a "Dragonball Z: Rebirth" featurette? Based on that, perhaps the UK is getting its very own release of those sets?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm

This has the stench of the Orange Bricks to me, considering those same extras were on that first set. Oh well, I got my Dragon Boxes. It's still cool to see the TV series finally hit the UK on DVD though; to say it's long overdue would be an understatement.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 pm

I got most of the Dragon Boxes [Volume 2 on its way] and pleased with them it nice hear it finally coming to uk but in my opinion it way to late. Does anyone know who owns licence for Dragonball in uk?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Rory wrote: With Nadonly's name posted there, I'm guessing this will be the upcoming Blu Ray sets and not Kai.
Most "cast lists" like these are just whatever whomever wrote the list first found on his google search. Don't read anything into it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:41 pm

It's about damn time.
Even if it is just the Orange Bricks, I'd still be happy - if they sell well maybe more releases will be available over here in the future?

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Say what? Manga Entertainment listed as the company? I'm smelling bricks already and ME is gonna shit them in our continent lol

Also, those features listed are indeed the extras....the Orange Bricks' Season 1 extras.....Imma getting the DB and GT sets for sure though.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

dbzforeverUK

Post by dbzforeverUK » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Most probably the Ocean Dub DvDs of Z or Kai? Most cast lists on Anime DvDs tend to be wrong before release so it wont be a Funimation release,i have emailed the BBFC about this matter.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:07 pm

dbzforeverUK wrote:Most probably the Ocean Dub DvDs of Z or Kai? Most cast lists on Anime DvDs tend to be wrong before release so it wont be a Funimation release,i have emailed the BBFC about this matter.
The extras are way too exact to NOT be the Orange Brick sets. And Manga Entertainment is the company listed. The fact that they're even bringing any release over for Dragon Ball is a surprise in and of itself, so they're not gonna go through the trouble of doing something some people would actually want....which is why this isn't the Dragon Boxes

EDIT: I was thinking about this...and this is genius for them, actually. They literally need to do nothing to put these out lol
- The remastered sets are Regions 1, 2 and 4...so no region coding work needed there;
- It is NTSC...but almost any TV over here these days has a "NTSC mode" or something similar....so they don't really need to make it PAL.
- Put the Manga Entertainment logo right next to FUNimation's. Profit.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Why release the Orange bricks now though? They came out in 2007 and most people in the UK who have wanted the Orange bricks, have them.

I don't think they'll sell well if they are the Orange bricks.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm guessing they can put them out dirt-cheap and make it available for a wider audience that will realize that there was never any release in their region...which can still be a lot of people.
SSJSteve wrote:I don't think they'll sell well if they are the Orange bricks.
Is what i would say if i didn't know how they did in America.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

SSJSteve wrote:Why release the Orange bricks now though? They came out in 2007 and most people in the UK who have wanted the Orange bricks, have them.

I don't think they'll sell well if they are the Orange bricks.
Considering the amount of people who don't import, or like anime and miss Dragon Ball Z like crazy, I bet they'll sell like hot cakes.

Also, a U? I'd have expected at least a 12 or maybe even a PG.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's just the extras...

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:51 pm

I can imagine if these are the orange bricks which is dead likely as already one of the Dragon Box set is out of print. They will sell in UK well because most don't import dvds here and most don't no places that do. but Dragonball games sell well I reckon orange bricks will to because most people won't know what funi did to them.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Bingo!
If you threw me a Dragon Ball Z set for cheap with lots of episodes without me knowing that it's totally fucked in the video, i would get it. (didn't it happen in the u.s. as well, after all?)

Perhaps when people realise it and there's enough of a demand they put out Dragon Boxes as well (here's hoping)
This is basically the beginning of Manga Entertainment's version of "Oh, look. A bar of soap..." lol

Paradox295
Beyond Newbie

Post by Paradox295 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Alright, here's the thing.

Jerome Mazer-something italian-y is on holiday, so we won't get anything official for a few weeks.

However, my money is definately on this being the Orange Bricks. They cancelled the BD's for FMA:B, Casshern Sins and X'amd, so there's definately no way they'd be picking up a rediculously long series like DBZ.

It's been quite a few years since the DBZ Orange Bricks, so anyone who particuarly wanted it already has it.

There is also the possibility that they are using their Kaze hookup for their masters. Which might make it a decent release.

But, if they were using it for anything though, would have rathered it be for One Piece. But, beggars can't be choosers. So. Yeah.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:23 pm

If they were even using the same old french transfers that Kaze used, would it even have the japanese version? (because German release is dub-only, right?) Besides, then they wouldn't even have the FUNimation dub, which is also listed.
And why would it have the Orange Brick extras bundled in? lol

It goes back to the fact that a lot of people neither imported them, nor followed the releases to even know they existed...like me up until mid-2009 :oops:

In a place that has nothing, having something is nice.