Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Which release contains the best quality for Dragon Ball?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:02 pm

The Dragon Boxes, of course. The Blu-Rays look like they could be better, but I'll wait till they come out to see.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Nobody said that it's not worth viewing, it's just debated that it has inaccurate colors...

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm

I dunno, I'd have to get a time machine and go back to 1986 to watch it and see. Otherwise, there's really no way to know.

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:16 am

I like the Dragon Boxes. I have the movies one, original series, and I plan to get all of the US Z ones (as well as whatever other ones Funimation is able to release stateside). Sure, there might be a bit of issues with slightly pinkish-skin tones and the sky might be a bit too green at times, but it still seems to be the best out there in my eyes. The Blurays look OK from what little I've seen, but some of the colors look like they might be too blue to me (namely Bulma's hair, which I thought was meant to be blueish-green and not completely blue). And I know it sounds hardheaded after the great US DBox Z release, but I still do not entirely trust Funimation to do it right. Of course I will hold any real judgment until I see some reviews or watch the sets for myself, but at the moment I think I will still stick to the Dragon Boxes.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:45 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:If the Dragon Box is the best release out so far, then how come people complain about the "improper" coloring used in it? Why would Toe release something for $1,000 if it's supposedly not close to the "original masters" and "not worth viewing as a good release?"

If Toei made the best release out so far, why can't that be it for releasing Dragon Ball? Must everyone re-release it several hundred times, or do they not have the rights to the footage from Toei animation?
Being the best release so far doesn't mean its a perfect release. The slightly off colors is one of the flaws.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:16 am

For me the Dragon Box is the best there is and I will not bother with any other releases. I'm happy to own all 291 episodes of the classic Dragon Ball Z anime in perfect quality, with original Japanese audio and subtitles. Yes, it is not actually 100% perfect in all aspects, but c'mon, it really doesn't get any better than this - especially for a show that's more than 20 years old. :)

If I want BluRay quality, I can get Dragon Ball KAI and enjoy DBZ in HD and surround sound at least until the Cell Saga, which is good enough for me.

I just hope that Dragon Ball and GT get the same treatment as DBZ with Dragon Boxes some time in the future, so I can finally cash in on them, too. If not, I'll have to get the currently availible releases, which is not too bad either, considering the low prices they have.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 pm

The only problem with the Dragon Box's color is a slight red cast over all of it. If you have color settings on your TV or computer video player, just slide the hue slightly out of the red zone and the problems with the color vanish.

This is a shot from my DBox. It was not touched in photoshop in any way whatsoever. The only thing done was VLC player's internal video filter was used to turn down the red level slightly and to turn down the bright level by 10%. (To fix the brightness difference between NTSC/U and NTSC/J)

This, to me, is the best quality DBZ can be in.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:22 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Does it have inaccurate colors? Lol. =]
Yes and No, the only thing wrong IMO is the aged colors and I think that's what TOEI was after just preserving it's age and just fixing the damage and nothing else.
And I wouldn't even count on VHS tapes for video these days maybe back in the 90s if anyone actually converted VHS to DVD in '96 when DVDs were first coming out.

My VHS tapes also show signs of aging but at least I have 198 episodes with the best possible quality for audio^^
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/