Dragon Ball Guilty Pleasures

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Guilty Pleasures

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Is there anything within the Dragon Ball franchise any of you have a guilty pleasure for?

For me it's the rock songs used in the "original" dubs of movies 4, 5, 8 & 10. Now don't get me wrong I love Kikuchi's score, and his score for those movies, but I like the songs used in the dub too, but then again I am a big fan of Rock music, so that may be why.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

DanielGClapp
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Guilty Pleasures

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:19 pm

I am guilty for thinking that this is the best version of the Trunks Vs. Freeza scene, even though it is fan made. It is probably because I too am a fan of rock music. However, I don't think the music used in the movies was utilized to it's full potential, therefore I did not enjoy it.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah, I like a lot of the music in and of itself, but it certainly could have been used better. Still, it's enjoyable in it's own sort of way. I guess the dub in general counts as a guilty pleasure, at least in some facets...
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 pm

The Shuki Levy score from the Season 1 and 2 ocean dubs and some of the Faulconer music.

Also, Dragonball Evolution. :P

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Dragonball Evolution ?!?! :shock: I guess that's why this is called the guilty pleasures thread..........

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Dragon Ball Evolution, I know tons of people that like it. Similar to The Lightning Thief and The Last Airbender among other adaptions, it's great as it's own movie but compared to the series...It's mediocre.

Guilty pleasures? Bruce Faulconer music, GT Music (including the Grand Tour, though I like DAN DAN beter) :oops: Oh and Orange Bricks to a certain extent.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:38 pm

For me, it'll be Shuki Levy's, Mark Menza's (Z and GT) and Nathan Johnson's scores. Even though I've switched to the Japanese version (except for Kai), I still enjoy listening to those.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:38 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:I am guilty for thinking that this is the best version of the Trunks Vs. Freeza scene, even though it is fan made. It is probably because I too am a fan of rock music. However, I don't think the music used in the movies was utilized to it's full potential, therefore I did not enjoy it.
Thanks. I miss this so much.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:54 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:I know tons of people that like it. Similar to... The Last Airbender
Being a HUGE Avatar fan for even longer than I've been a fan of DBZ, that movie pissed me off on so many levels. Not only did it rape the original series, but it did even worse as it's own movie. Anyone who hadn't seen the series had no idea what was going on, and anyone that had seen it (including me) were just dying to get ahold of M. Night's throat. Just thinking about how much potential that movie had and how it all was ruined in every possible angle, thanks to one completely ignorant douchebag makes me extremely angry! :evil: That being said, I suppose you are right. Evolution did not piss of as many Dragonball fans as The Last Airbender pissed off Avatar fans, although I've never heard of The Last Airbender receiving any praise, other than it's special effects, so I don't think it's fair to say that tons of people liked it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:13 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:Dragonball Evolution ?!?! :shock: I guess that's why this is called the guilty pleasures thread..........
Talking about Dragonball Evolution - there is a russian dub of it on the DVD sold in France...

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Like many others have said, it's dub music for me. Some of it I really dislike, but some I enjoy.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 pm

I really love some of the tracks from the Bruce Faulconer score. Especially, the piece that is used in Legacy of Goku II at the beginning of the game when Haiya Dragon comes along before Gohan's dream.

Even though I originally hated this song I really do enjoy now Step Into the Grand Tour but not as much as Dan Dan.

I have only watched Dragon Ball Evolution once but I did enjoy the movie. It wasn't that bad since I didn't think of it as part of the Dragon Ball Universe but more of a standalone movie.
Last edited by PuppetDoctor on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't really see liking Faulconer's score as a "guilty pleasure", because most fans do. I suppose it could be one on this forum because many users here are so disimissive of electronic music.

A better "guilty pleasure" would be GT's music (and GT as whole, but I feel as if I've already spoken about that enough). Menza's score is pretty bad. Even as a listener of electronic music, I can only say that I genuinely like two or three tracks. My biggest problem is that they sound far too similar to one another, and variation is sparse. Even I have trouble discerning them. Tokunaga's score, on the other hand, is quite good. Some say it's too generic, in contrast with Kikuchi's and Faulconer's scores. And that's fine, but I think the tracks are really well composed and truly enhance the scenes in which they play. Perhaps most importantly, it doesn't feel as if the they're being repeated ad nauseam.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:36 am

Faulconer's score

particularly this
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:06 am

Step into The Grand Tour.
Linda Young's and Pauline Newstone's Freeza.
Sean Schemmal's King Kai.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:00 pm

I unironically love The Magic Begins movie. Not that I'm under some delusion that others should consider it an underrated classic or anything though.

Also I've never really considered Menza "bad" so there's that...

Edit:

Just thought of another one, the old dub for the Ginyu/Freeza and Garlic Jr. arc as opposed to the orange brick partial redub.
Last edited by Akumaito Beam on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:55 pm

This

And the Shuki Levy score. I love that score!

And my obsession with drawing DBZ and animating DBZ!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:50 pm

I love a lot of the Faulconer Productions music, just not always within the context of the actual series. Kenji Yamamoto's score for Kai is ultimately my favorite.

I still watch the old VHS singles frequently, including the edited ones. So much fun! :P
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Dragon Ball Evolution, it's a fun movie and actually pretty faithful when you look at it, Chichi and Goku were more like Gohan and Videl, so that's why they were in high school, that's what was up with Chichi's white dress, Goku looking more like Teen Gohan, and what not.

this song, since I never heard it in the show, only in Legacy of Goku 2.

The Big Green dub, c'mon, miles better than the Funi/Ocean dubs.

redlinks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redlinks » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:52 pm

I guess for me, it's the ocean dub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I mean, How could you not love Saffron Henderson as kid Goku and Kid Gohan? She makes them sound so adorable!
- Been a Dragon Ball fan ever since 1995 (at the time, I was 7 years old).
- I prefer Saffron Henderson's Kid Gohan and Kid Goku over Stephanie Nadolny's.
- I still hope for a redub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with FUNimation's current cast.
- I prefer to watch Dragon Ball Z with the Faulconer Score, however I do not mind the original Japanese score.