If you could describe character relationships (romantic)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Eire
Advanced Regular

Re: If you could describe character relationships (romantic)

Post by Eire » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Eire wrote:I'll repeat again: it would humanize him too much.
I hope you're not implying that rape isn't inhuman.
Moral aspects aside.
Attributing aliens human desires and associations is humanizing them. In that case Sayians would be nothing different than random army from human history- just a little bit upgraded. Why should we assume that his sadism and will to humanize others would be revealed in sexual way? They are scarier the more different they are. Vegeta not caring about sex and not seeing woman as a way to relieve his tension (or better- even not having it) would be more disturbing and interesting than raping everything that moves.

Like Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha- it's better not to stand on his way, becouse he is so focused on his goals that he pays no attention to woman no matter of kind.

Ps. Chi-Chi is asexual. She is so devoted to Mother's role that there's no way for anything else.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Eire wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Eire wrote:I'll repeat again: it would humanize him too much.
I hope you're not implying that rape isn't inhuman.
Moral aspects aside.
Attributing aliens human desires and associations is humanizing them. In that case Sayians would be nothing different than random army from human history- just a little bit upgraded. Why should we assume that his sadism and will to humanize others would be revealed in sexual way? They are scarier the more different they are. Vegeta not caring about sex and not seeing woman as a way to relieve his tension (or better- even not having it) would be more disturbing and interesting than raping everything that moves.

Ps. Chi-Chi is asexual. She is so devoted to Mother's role that there's no way for anything else.
Saiyans are similar to humans, though, you know. Saiyans are similar to the warlike tribes of our history that pillages villages and stuff, causing pain and destruction as they go. And a lot of those tribes rape. For power, for sadism, to make the other person feel humiliated.

You're obsessing too much over the sex part, if you ask me. Why wouldn't Vegeta care about sex anyway? He's a human being (as in, Saiyans are considered humans in the DB world too), he's physically similar to Earthlings and he has sexual urges too. And I've aforementioned some of the reason why people rape.

And I don't think Chi-Chi's asexual. It's not as if all devoted mothers just stop being attracted to other people, you know. If she was asexual, she wouldn't sustain a crush on Goku for 7 years, bear his children and continue to love him.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:02 pm

I wasn't the one that brought that topic here. Since we talk about sex it would be strange for me to write about their cuisine or ways of rising children.
Sayans are similar to humans but they are not. Toriyama didn't developed that aspect, but I don't like ideas that aliens are humans in costumes who feel and behave the same way we expect them, share the same desires and motives. The matter of interesting is making something different in important aspects- like youkai in Inuyasha, like Abh from Crest of the Stars. Sex is important, people tends to treat it as a motor of their deeds- why not make a point here? Why should they associate sex with domination or pleasure. They are monkeys-alike- why shouldn't they have regular heat?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Saiyans can interbreed with humans, though. They're the same species, not a truly alien race.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 pm

In that case most of the aliens from our culture would suddenly turn into our long lost relatives. Although seeing transformations denying all biological law we can debate if our classification appeal here.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm

I think you're looking way too far into things. Saiyans really aren't presented all that differently from humans - very uncivilized, and fighting-minded, yeah; hell, that's why they'd probably be inclined to rape as a barbaric act. They're like primal humans. I think Vegeta is just a weird case with Saiyans in general, because he has tunnel vision when it comes to most things.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Mind you, this is my personal opinion on the matter, but all of the qualities so far mentioned about the Saiyans have little to do with their race... and more to do with their culture. I'm aware that it's stated that they're a barbaric race, but I just think it's more about their upbringing, rather than birth-given traits.

I'm sure that, somewhere on the vast planet of Vegeta, there are many good-natured individuals, some of which who may oppose everything that the race stands for. It would be quite silly to assume that, in the far reaches of space, exists a planet of blood-thirsty, savage rapists. But, hey, that's just me... Lol =P

www.KristaMichaels.com

Kakarotto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarotto » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Imagine if Akira Toriyama saw this thread. In my opinion Vegeta is not a rapist, he is very determined to accomplish his goals and rape would just be a destraction from becoming the the strongest worrior. The virgin thing for me is up in the air, who knows, he might have had a fling in his teen years, BUT NO RAPE, HE IS NO RAPIST!
Bald that way

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Kakarotto wrote:BUT NO RAPE, HE IS NO RAPIST!
So vehemently denied, but why?

Kakarotto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarotto » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:03 pm

What if you were Trunks and people from daizex.fanboyreview.net told you "Hey your dad is a rapist". Thats why, well not really. :wink:
Bald that way

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Honestly, whatever he did in the past doesn't particular matter anyways, because he ends up being a good guy and atoning for what he did anyways. He ends up becoming a presumably good husband who cares for his wife and family, so, there's no point in thinking about something we don't know for sure if it's upsetting. If it isn't, go right ahead, but I'm sorry if I turned this topic into something unpleasant.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:11 pm

I could describe just about every DragonBall character relationship (romantic) with a single word.

Fucked.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 am

I like to think that Tarble and Gure have the most interesting and stable relationship. Tarble didn't fall for her looks that's for sure, unless he's into smaller bald gray aliens. (Hey, everyone's got a fetish)

As for the rest I guess I can try to sum up their relationship in few words are less:
Gohan and Videl - Boring. This couple is just so lifeless, so drab.
Vegeta and Bulma - Exciting. Sure they might hate each other at times and they probably hooked up over one night of passion but you can't deny it, they are the most popular couple for a reason.
Goku and Chichi - Sad... Just sad. Chichi married Goku assuming marriage was like gumdrops and unicorns and Goku didn't know what the fuck he was in for. They married young and must live with the consequences their entire life. (I still love this couple though).
Android 18 and Krillin - Shallow. I guess 18 just find bald short men really hot.

And as for the whole Vegeta rapist or not a rapist discussion that seems to be going on, I like to put in my own two cents. I like to think that Vegeta is not rapist. Unlike Nappa and maybe Raditz, Vegeta just doesn't seem like the type to force himself on a woman. He's more a viscous killer with a one track mind. Besides the whole prince status had to get him laid. If women are practically throwing their vaginas at you there's no reasons to go out and rape for rape sake.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 am

Goku/Chichi - They...sorta fit together.
Bulma/Vegeta - I like and hate it at the same time, but I have to admit, I think it's probably the most interesting too.
Bulma/Yamcha - Childish. Sweet. Stupid. Fun. .... I miss it.
Gohan/Videl - Just normal, I guess...as Scarz put it, kinda boring.
18/Krillin - I would have loved to see some honest developement here. I get the feeling they didn't get hooked up right after the Cell arc.
Tenshinhan/Lunch - :cry:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Scarz wrote:If women are practically throwing their vaginas at you there's no reasons to go out and rape for rape sake.
That's the only reason people rape. Like I said, it can be for power and sadism, to humiliate the victim. And I doubt aliens from other planets care whether or not Vegeta was a prince, if he was, you know, going to kill them. Nor do people tend to like Saiyans anyway, apart from Saiyans themselves, and they all died (apart from Vegeta himself, Nappa, Raditz and Goku) when Vegeta was five.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I just had to counter this.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Yeah, rape is about power and dominance, not sexual urges.