Original DB on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Original DB on Blu-Ray

Post by uzuni » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:17 am

Seeings as how DBZ will soon be released in Blu-Ray HD format, should we be expecting the original 153 episodes as well any time soon?

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Original DB on Blu-Ray

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:33 am

uzuni wrote:any time soon?
In the famous words of dub Trunks "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 am

ringworm128 wrote:
uzuni wrote:any time soon?
In the famous words of dub Trunks "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Okay, why the hell are so many people "quoting" that now? It's not even funny, and never was, so why is that transforming into a meme? :? I've seen it in someone's signature here, and it's been quoted several times in the past few months, and it's all over YouTube.

Also, as for this thread, isn't this, like, the third recent thread made about this? Any way, no news on it whatsoever. You likely shouldn't expect news this early anyway, as the first Z Blu-ray hasn't even been released yet!

There's also the probability that it couldn't be done with FUNimation's current DB video source, as judging from the footage alone, it looks like they just have tapes for the original (and probably GT), whereas they have film for Z, so unless they buy new film, then I don't think they can even release it in HD. Even if they could, it would surely look terrible.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:In the famous words of dub Trunks "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Okay, why the hell are so many people "quoting" that now? It's not even funny, and never was, so why is that transforming into a meme? :? I've seen it in someone's signature here, and it's been quoted several times in the past few months, and it's all over YouTube.
I quite honestly don't even remember him saying that............ moving on. I personally would love DB and GT on blu-ray, but if that ever happens, it will most likely be far, far in the future.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Okay, why the hell are so many people "quoting" that now? It's not even funny, and never was, so why is that transforming into a meme? :? I've seen it in someone's signature here, and it's been quoted several times in the past few months, and it's all over YouTube.
Because a lot of people on the internet have poor senses of humour and turn insignificant things into memes.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:02 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:In the famous words of dub Trunks "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
I quite honestly don't even remember him saying that............ moving on. I personally would love DB and GT on blu-ray, but if that ever happens, it will most likely be far, far in the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKWBTgCmVw Skip the 0:09. I assume that's the "No!!!" he's referencing.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:37 pm

NeoKING wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKWBTgCmVw Skip the 0:09. I assume that's the "No!!!" he's referencing.
Ah, I see. That was a freakin badass opening! I know people here are against the hardcore advertising that Toonami did to DBZ, but I quite honestly enjoy it!

Edit: Alright, I see how the whole NOOOOO!!!! thing could be popular. I watched this video and just busted out laughing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GF09Sdrw_k

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Okay, who really gives a shit about that? Seriously. It's not even the topic of this thread.

ANYWAY, I wouldn't doubt if we saw a release of DB Blu-Rays some day. It'd probably be released in the same order as the Season sets, where GT comes first, though.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't think FUNimation would release DB on BluRay. They mostly care about Z, it's their money maker.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 pm

I see this thread's parachute.

It's ok.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Codarik wrote:I don't think FUNimation would release DB on BluRay. They mostly care about Z, it's their money maker.
They released Season sets, why wouldn't they go to Bluray next?

I wanna see a Dragon Box release first though, they'd better not forget it.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 pm

I personally think it more likely see a DB Dragon Box. Because if I remember from previous knowledge funi have tapes for DB. I believe for GT they have a DIGI Transfer as well. So I doubt they have good enough film to put on to blu-ray for DB. I also doubt doubt they could do it with GT.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:04 pm

I'd rather them release the Dragon Box for DB as well, a Blu-Ray release would be nice too but if it is indeed digitapes they have, then the only thing that would benefit is the superior encoding.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Codarik wrote:I don't think FUNimation would release DB on BluRay. They mostly care about Z, it's their money maker.
They released Season sets, why wouldn't they go to Bluray next?

I wanna see a Dragon Box release first though, they'd better not forget it.
I'd rather they skip the Dragon Box release and do their own restoration for Blu-ray.

Oh, by the way...

This is the proper no!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfn ... page#t=17s

and of course the always classic original!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3D ... page#t=19s
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 pm

The chances of Funimation releasing Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT are pretty high. Funimation's goal is to bring out Dragon Ball on every single format known to man. :P
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:36 pm

Okay, why the hell are so many people "quoting" that now? It's not even funny, and never was, so why is that transforming into a meme?
...you pretty much answered your own question right there. That's basically the definition of a meme (99% of the time, anyway): something that isn't funny which a loud, obnoxious portion of the Internet inexplicably thinks is funny and then runs it into the ground everywhere until it just pisses (sane) people off.

But yeah, if they only source of Dragonball footage they have is tapes rather than the original film or anything similar, it seems kind of unlikely that they'd come out with a Blu-Ray release of it, unless they become really desperate for money and want to bring out a quick and crappy new release to make a quick buck... but still, probably not all that likely.

I guess a Dragonball (or GT) Blu-Ray release might happen eventually, though it really depends on whether or not they're willing to try and go through a lot of trouble to get the original film (or something similar) and whether they can even get it at all.

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 am

If only they would have included DB in Kai...the few scenes in the first episode sure looked good.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:52 am

Krycek7o2 wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:I wanna see a Dragon Box release first though, they'd better not forget it.
I'd rather they skip the Dragon Box release and do their own restoration for Blu-ray.
THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS.

The main reasons I want Dragon Boxes is the packaging, the Dragon Books and the sort of completeness of the episodes what with the original titles, defaulting to Japanese and actually having NEPs, unless they're using Japanese credits on the Blurays and the Blurays are Region B as well as A then I'd really want a Dragon Box release.

And because they're like a friendly "You like the Japanese version? Here!" Most other anime sets, especially Funimation, don't do that. They have Japanese audio and good subtitles, but it shouldn't really stop there. I suppose Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai are the only anime series I'd really shell out for though, most anime releases may as well be budgeted pieces of crap, as long as the shows there.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 am

Is there any reason they couldn't release, and in DBZ's case, re-release, all three Dragon Boxes on Blu-Ray format? It's my understanding that standard definition footage can go on Blu-Ray discs without a problem. This way, they could include all of the various audio tracks that people want, and they could still do the elaborate packaging and extras.

As previously mentioned, though, without film for DB and GT, all they are known to have is tapes. With these, it's unlikely we'll see a Blu-Ray release anytime soon.
Last edited by atm5508 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:45 am

I can see GT on Blu-ray, but not Dragon Ball. The animation is really old and doesn't look edgy...and whatnot. I just personally don't think it would look good on Blu-ray because there really isn't much that could be done with it to make it look Blu-ray quality, as opposed to DVD, which is probably as good as it could look. That's just my opinion, of course.

And the Trunks thing comes from him screaming, "No" when Vegeta is blasting the door to Dr. Gero's laboratory, I think. Why it would surface now, 11 or so years later, is beyond me.