Your favorite arc/arcs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PiccoloFan7289
Beyond Newbie

Your favorite arc/arcs

Post by PiccoloFan7289 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:02 pm

We haven't had a thread like this in a while, and I feel the time is fitting right now to make one because with the 7th Dragon Box out now (well kinda lol) We now have all three series out on respectable releases. So what is everyone's favorite part of the series now that most of us own all three series on respectable releases. Over the past couple days I have been watching through the Red Ribbon Army Arc and I feel it's very underrated. I think Commander Red is an fantastic villain and I think it's hilarious to watch him get frustrated with Goku as he keeps taking down all of his soldiers and generals. All of the General's were also very funny characters who you could love but absolutely hate at the same time. It's also very entertaining to watch Commander Red boss around Staff Officer Black. It's also important not to forget Ninja Murasaki and Tao Pai Pai. They pwn everyone. Roshi has some funny moments too, as he uses Bulma's shrinking device in an attempt to see Bulma and Launch naked. The episodes where Goku fights in the Red Ribbon Army Headquarters are extremely fun to watch as well. This is also the longest arc in Dragon Ball as well and one of the longest arc's in the entire series behind the Namek/Freeza, Artificial Humans/Cell, and Majin Buu Arcs. I feel Toriyama was in the zone during this arc and got the perfect balance of humor and fighting, something which most of the Z Arc's failed to do. As of right now, this is my favorite arc of the entire series. Which arc's do you guys think stand above the rest?

DanielGClapp
Regular

Re: Your favorite arc/arcs

Post by DanielGClapp » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm

My favorites would be the Artificial Human (Android) saga and the beginning of the Buu saga (World Martial Arts Tournament and Babidi) for sure. I also like the Piccolo saga from DB.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:05 pm

My three favorite arcs would have to be the 23rd Budoukai, Namek, and the Cell portion of the Jinzouningen arc.
So mondo lame.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 pm

My favorite arc from the entire series is the Piccolo Daimao arc.

I'm not really sure why, though. It just stands out to me over the others. I do enjoy the Piccolo, Jr./23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc, as well, but not as much.

PiccoloFan7289
Beyond Newbie

Post by PiccoloFan7289 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 pm

I agree with you guys the 22nd and 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai Arcs were very well done. I'm not a real big fan of the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai Arc though. Goku's fights with Tenshinhan and Piccolo are some of the best fights in the series.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 am

Top 5 in order:

1. Namek/Freeza arc
2. Saiyajin arc
3. King Piccolo and Ma Junior arc
4. Red Ribbon arc
5. Son Goku arc

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Far and away the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai

Rounding out my Top 5 would be the 21st & 22nd, the Baby Saga, and the Planet Namek Saga. Red Ribbon Saga is an alternate #5

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 pm

The Piccolo Daimao arc up until the end of the Cell Games is easily my favorite point(s) in the series. I know that's a huge chunk, but I feel that Toriyama's art and writing ability was its peak during these years. The early DB is great, but the Red Ribbon arc is so very boring and unmemorable to me, that it almost drags the beginning portion down. The Buu arc was fun and crazy, but Toriyama's art and writing seemed a bit more rushed and chaotic to me.

I guess you could say I liked the story the more serious it got...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Brodes_Vegetto

Post by Brodes_Vegetto » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Top 5 Favourite Arcs

1)Saiyajin arc
2)Fusion and Kid Buu arc
3)Namek and Captain Ginyu arc
4)Trunks & Androids arc
5)World Tournament
Brogetto

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Defiantly the Freeza arc :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Mine are as follows

1. Jinzouningen
2. Jr./23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
3. Frieza
4. Kid Buu Arc
5. 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:21 pm

My favorite is the Fusion saga, I like Gotenks and Super Buu is my favorite villain, it was all a fun watch.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 am

This is going to sound totally cheesy, buy I honestly love every volume from 1 to 42. I love seeing Goku (and the rest of the characters at that) grow up and see how their lives come around with families and changes in personalities and maturing. This series is what hooked me into the world of manga as a little kid and that's probably a huge reason why I love every part of it. For the sake of the topic, however, I'll say that the Freeza Saga is my favorite. It's where I was first introduced to Dragon Ball Z on Toonami, so it has a special place with me.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:35 am

I really can't pick just one. I'd have to say I enjoyed The Cell, Buu, & Shadow Dragon Sagas.

I enjoyed the Android/Cell Saga because I always felt that if Dragon Ball would've ended there, everything would've been fine. Everything is pretty much wrapped up right there. The subject of Gohan's "hidden power" that has been a subject of his character since he first used it on Raditz is pretty much concluded with Super Saiyan 2 and leaving him as the only one who could make this transformation. Goku, Vegeta, & Trunks all tried to push beyond Super Saiyan, and all they got out of it was Ultra Super Saiyan, which was more/less useless, but Gohan through his hidden power was the one and only to truly go beyond. Vegeta was never really a good guy, and with Goku dead, and Gohan far surpassing him, he just gives up. He says he'll never fight again. Trunks goes home and kills all of the Androids of his time. It's just perfect to me. It's all wrapped up. It's also the last time every character we grew to love from Dragon Ball up until now has something to contribute. After this arc, it all leans toward the Saiyans. I mean, this arc was pretty dependent on the Saiyan characters, but Piccolo, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, & Krillin at least had SOMETHING to contribute, even if it wasn't much. From here on out, they were all reduced to side-line characters and I kind of hate that. The Cell Saga is definitely my absolute favorite.

I enjoy the Buu Saga purely for Videl & Goten. I LOVED Goten's character and I'm a softy when it comes to mushy stuff so I really enjoyed Gohan & Videl's romance. It's also pretty much the one and only "normal" (or at least the closest to it) relationship within the whole series.

The only thing I really enjoyed about the Shadow Dragons Saga was the ending. Goku abandoning his family to go train a random kid never set well with me. It made me kind of hate Goku for a bit. However, the way Goku leaves in GT is far more fitting. It's thought to be implied that he may actually be dead and has to pass on. There's also a ton of other theories out there, but the main point that makes it better than when he left in Z is here in GT he doesn't have a choice. He HAS to leave now. It doesn't leave you with a sense of abandonment, but moreso a sense of mourning. It's a wonderful ending. If it really HAD to go beyond the Cell Saga, I'm glad it ended this way. Adding Goku & Vegeta's descendants at the end was the icing of the cake. I honestly enjoyed GT after I finally gave it a fair chance. I will admit it's not as good as Z, but this ending made it all worth while.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:26 am

My favorite portion of the series is from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, up through the Freeza arc.

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:34 am

Piccolo Daimao, 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Namek

www.KristaMichaels.com

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:31 am

Everything from the 22nd to the 23rd tournaments, the entire Boo arc, and the first half of the Freeza arc (basically, every chapter from Vegeta's time on Freeza 79 up to when Goku and Ginyu begin fighting).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm

My favourite arc is the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai arc. It's kind of hard to completely explain why, but I'll just mention that the battles have wonderful flair and techniques, Son Goku vs. Ma Junior is my favourite battle in the series, and I like how the plot has Ma Junior in the shadows, gradually building him up until the finale where he reveals his true Piccolo Daimao self. It also puts a great capper on that story arc when Piccolo brutally beats Goku close to death, only for Goku to miraculously prevail by ramming him out of bounds with Bukujutsu, and finally achieving his dream of winning the Tenka'ichi Budokai.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:02 pm

This is difficult. I enjoy almost every part of all three series for different reasons.

But if I had to pick one? The Boo arc. That's Dragon Ball really finding its groove, to me. A ridiculous, haphazard groove, but that's Dragon Ball for you. I really, really enjoy the mix of "incredibly dire scenario" with "incredibly silly tone." That mix serves to both provide actual humor at times, and provide a sense that shit is really hitting the fan at others.

At least in the anime. I haven't actually read the manga portion of that arc yet. From what I hear, it may be the only storyline that's actually handled better in the anime.

PiccoloFan7289
Beyond Newbie

Post by PiccoloFan7289 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Cipher wrote:This is difficult. I enjoy almost every part of all three series for different reasons.

But if I had to pick one? The Boo arc. That's Dragon Ball really finding its groove, to me. A ridiculous, haphazard groove, but that's Dragon Ball for you. I really, really enjoy the mix of "incredibly dire scenario" with "incredibly silly tone." That mix serves to both provide actual humor at times, and provide a sense that shit is really hitting the fan at others.

At least in the anime. I haven't actually read the manga portion of that arc yet. From what I hear, it may be the only storyline that's actually handled better in the anime.
As of late the Majin Buu Arc has been growing on me and I am starting to like it more and more for the reasons you stated above. The Artificial Human/Cell Arc portion of the series used to be my favorite, but now not so much these days. That arc is just way too serious and has almost no humor or silliness at all in it. Dragon Ball is at it's best when it finds a balance between the two. The Majin Buu Arc finds that balance. Some other arcs that do a good job finding that balance are the Piccolo Daimao Arc, Red Ribbon Army Arc, Uranai Baba Arc, and the Tenkaichi Tournament Arc's. Toriyama's second editor, Kondou, was the main reason why the Saiyan/Namek/Artificial Human Arc's lost that humor that Toriyama kept in the story throughout most of Dragon Ball. I enjoy those arc's and their popularity is well-deserved but I feel like Kondou kept Toriyama on a leash during those arc's if you get what I'm saying.