270 million USD!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

270 million USD!

Post by Perfect » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 pm

So I just checked out Kanzentai's update to their movie guide and found that the 6th Dragon Ball Z movie actually surpassed the 7th movie in gross. While the 7th earned around 250 million USD, the 6th movie earned 270 million USD. Between the six movies on the guide, there's approximately over $1,426,000,000 that was earned from them (Of course this is all converted from yen).

Am I the only one that finds that amazing, that the movies alone Probably owned over 2 billion dollars? I wonder what the official sales for other countries are, not only on the movies, but the anime as a whole.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Re: 270 million USD!

Post by Toriyama-sama » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:57 am

I once asked this same question here but never got a conclusive answer. Nevertheless, and if I recall correctly, after examining the movies Dragon Book I ended up realizing that those figures on Kanzentai are probably off by one order of magnitude.
Last edited by Toriyama-sama on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 am

How did you convert the currency? Just plugging in the numbers on xe.com won't give you an accurate measurement of the amount brought in. First, you need to find a historical exchange rate between yen and dollars from around the time of the film's release. Then you need to convert the currency based on that, not the current exchange rate. Then you need to adjust the dollar amount for inflation (search for the West Egg calculator). That will give you a far more accurate view of how much was brought in.

EDIT: Here you go.

On March 7, 1992, one US dollar was worth 131.9 yen.
Movie 6 made 27.2 billion yen.
Therefore, at the time, the movie made about $206 million.
Now, however, the money it brought in would be worth about $316 million.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:05 pm

I'd just like to point out that those figures are inflated by a factor of ten via mistranslation.

I know there's a thread somewhere where Hujio clarified....
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:52 pm

But what kind of mistranslation? They mistook oku as billion?

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Most likely, yes.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Perfect wrote:So I just checked out Kanzentai's update to their movie guide and found that the 6th Dragon Ball Z movie actually surpassed the 7th movie in gross. While the 7th earned around 250 million USD, the 6th movie earned 270 million USD. Between the six movies on the guide, there's approximately over $1,426,000,000 that was earned from them (Of course this is all converted from yen).

Am I the only one that finds that amazing, that the movies alone Probably owned over 2 billion dollars? I wonder what the official sales for other countries are, not only on the movies, but the anime as a whole.
That's incredible. :mrgreen:

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 pm

CashmanX wrote:I'd just like to point out that those figures are inflated by a factor of ten via mistranslation.

I know there's a thread somewhere where Hujio clarified....
I thought those numbers were ridiculously high. So movie 6 brought in 2.72 billion yen, which was worth $20.6 million back then. After inflation, that's $31.6 million. That sounds much more reasonable, considering it was only released in Japan (and for a relatively short time at that).
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 pm

johnboy1 wrote:How did you convert the currency? Just plugging in the numbers on xe.com won't give you an accurate measurement of the amount brought in. First, you need to find a historical exchange rate between yen and dollars from around the time of the film's release. Then you need to convert the currency based on that, not the current exchange rate. Then you need to adjust the dollar amount for inflation (search for the West Egg calculator). That will give you a far more accurate view of how much was brought in.

EDIT: Here you go.

On March 7, 1992, one US dollar was worth 131.9 yen.
Movie 6 made 27.2 billion yen.
Therefore, at the time, the movie made about $206 million.
Now, however, the money it brought in would be worth about $316 million.
Ah, I see. I wasn't converting it from any measurement or anything. I was just adding the already converted figures on the site. :p
Though if it is off by a zero or two, then I wonder why they haven't bothered to fix it, also considering that the recent update for the movie guide was actually yesterday.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.