SSJ3 Vegeta, the DBZ-fanbase and its thoughts and reactions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

SSJ3 Vegeta, the DBZ-fanbase and its thoughts and reactions

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:05 pm

I've thought about SSJ3 Vegeta lately. The thing is, that SSJ3 Vegeta is now introduced as an official character in the DB franchise, first appeared in a arcade-card game, after that in Raging Blast 1 and Raging Blast 2. He never existed in official DB franchises, not in GT, in games, only in some minds and probably some fan-created work.
After he got "official", I noticed some interesting reactions.

Reactions of the ones, who disapproves him:
Well, there are different types of dislikers of SSJ3 Vegeta, all with their own points. Some people saying, that Vegeta doesn't need SSJ3 due character developement, other saying, that Vegeta isn't able to achieve SSJ3, because Vegeta doesn't have the right (training) conditions (being dead or a magical creature). There are also arguments, that some fictional/in-series-non-existant characters are ruining the DB-Universe/franchise. I also heard, that SSJ3 Vegeta is worthless, because he doesn't appear in DBGT and he has "SSJ4" in DBGT.

Reactions of the ones, who approves him:
I'm counting me into this group. Some people probably had imagined SSJ3 Vegeta before his official "release", some either blame DBGT (and indirectly Toei) for Vegeta not turning into a SSJ3. Some people argueing, that Vegeta PROBABLY achieved SSJ3 during the 10 year time skip after the Boo-Saga (which is a valid point). Other arguments are, that Vegeta could have some insight of transforming into a SSJ3 while being fused as Vegetto or that Vegeta trains, because he is a Saiyan and now fights of getting stronger (like Goku).

My question are, did you have thoughts about SSJ3 Vegeta before the his official release before the Arcade-game?? Do you like the idea??? What are your reasons of (dis-)approvement of SSJ3 Vegeta??? Do you wish him in future games??? Would you like to see a special chapter about him??

Edit: Do you ever consider, that Vegeta obtains that form at the end of the manga, meaning 10 years after Boo's defeat?

PS: I think, that SSJ3 Vegeta would be more accepted, if he appeared in DBGT (look @SSJ4 Gogeta)
Last edited by Super Saiyajin Luffy on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

DarkGokuZ
Beyond Newbie

Re: SSJ3 Vegeta, the DBZ-fanbase and its thoughts and reacti

Post by DarkGokuZ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Did you have thoughts about SSJ3 Vegeta before the his official release before the Arcade-game??

Actually I never thought about the idea.. Or of course I did, but it was just one time when I was child I think.

Do you like the idea???

Yes very much, I like the idea because I like to think that if Goku can do it, so can Vegeta. I also like to think that Vegeta and Goku is the strongest Z fighters.

Do you wish him in future games???

Yeah that would be nice, but if Spike makes the game I don't think it will happen. :(

Would you like to see a special chapter about him??

Very much! I hope that the same person who made the Bardock special manga (Don't remember her name), can make one with him.
digireign wrote: I vote to call it "Super Cyan."

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:58 pm

I think Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta is a nice little addition to video games, and it's a wonder they didn't think of it before Raging Blast, since it seems like such an obvious what-if transformation to make. Moreso than SSj2 Trunks, Yamhan, Boo's various what-if absorptions, etc. that preceded it.

I don't know why people would dislike it, unless they're thinking that it somehow challenges their perception of canonicity. Since neither Toriyama nor anyone else official has ever established an official canon(s), then the canonicity of any DB media is up to the fans. It's not ruining the franchise any more than fanfictions with SSj4 Gotenks or something on that level is, and even then, SSj3 Vegeta isn't implausible by any means, since nothing flat-out states that you must be dead in the afterlife or a Fusion to become a Super Saiyan 3. But even if it did, it wouldn't matter, because it's just a what-if transformation.

I'd like him to be in future games, if only for consistency. I'd like all the other what-if characters/transformations to return too, because it's kind of annoying when they appear in one game and then seemingly disappear. However, I'm not eager for a special chapter about him or anything. There's not much potential that can be gleaned from "Vegeta turns Super Saiyan 3" anyway, at least in my opinion.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm

I think it's a great idea. Making Super Saiyan 3 a by product of Vegeta's new found peace of mind after the battle with Majin Boo would be an awesome story idea to see fleshed out, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I think it's a great idea. Making Super Saiyan 3 a by product of Vegeta's new found peace of mind after the battle with Majin Boo would be an awesome story idea to see fleshed out, too.
What more can you say about that, though?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

I love SSJ3 Vegeta, he should have achieved it in the regular run, or at least GT. In fact when I first saw GT I almost thought he was going to pull that form out at some point.

I also like the figures of him in said form, I like the look and it fits him. Kudos on your SSJ3 realization Vegeta! Even if it didn't appear anywhere until just now, lol.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Well, Vegeta didn't make this "what-if" more believable with the whole "I need Babidi/Blitz wave to equal Goku"-stuff.

But okay, I would accept it only if he came together with Broly......his "new" Nappa who is stronger than him. :mrgreen:

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:33 pm

I like the SSJ3 Vegeta that's been introduced these last couple years. It has been something I had wondered about over the years. What would he look like? How or when would he gain the ability?

I'm just not sure when he could have achieved that level in canon. I would think that if he had learned it in the years between Z and GT he would have used it at some point against some of the villains of GT rather than get smacked around as much as he did. To me it's just really hard to tell. A funny thought occured to me while I'm typing this, but what if he turned SSJ3 when he had his short hair... and mustache? :lol:

What's been presented I think looks pretty slick. I've only ever seen it with him in his Buu saga attire, but I think it looks pretty cool. I approve.

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 pm

I'd say he damn well needed it. Or rather, it was a nice addition to say "hes obtained all the forms" even if it's only in games/fan manga. Of course, I don't really give a damn if people think that there are "Too many ssj3's"( a silly point people like to bring up). Truth is, that "Too much " logic already occurred with the Super Saiyans. So it certainly wouldn't hurt with Ssj3.

Vegeta practically busted his ass. I'd say it's a welcome addition. In fact, I was pretty glad. Hell I didn't mind Ssj3 Broly, and you know some people raged and moaned.

And hell a special chapter would have been fucking welcoming. To see him kick Fat Buu's ass, or even Kid Buu's ass(or put up a decent fucking fight). But hey, atleast I can see him fight in that Af manga :o

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 pm

MoltenMan wrote:A funny thought occured to me while I'm typing this, but what if he turned SSJ3 when he had his short hair... and mustache? :lol:
Still long golden hair, but with the addition of a rocking golden moustache.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Better than giving Broly another bullshit transformation.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Put me squarely in the camp of... really don't care. It's not part of the story. It's just in some random video game. I don't really see any reason why he needs it, or how he'd even be able to use it properly being not-dead and all. It's certainly fun for what it is, a silly little what-if so that video game players can fan wank over it, but otherwise it's just, to me at least, about as silly and useless a diversion as that new Bardock story.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Put me squarely in the camp of... really don't care. It's not part of the story. It's just in some random video game. I don't really see any reason why he needs it, or how he'd even be able to use it properly being not-dead and all. It's certainly fun for what it is, a silly little what-if so that video game players can fan wank over it, but otherwise it's just, to me at least, about as silly and useless a diversion as that new Bardock story.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 am

I know they're completely unrelated concepts, but for me it always felt a bit "off" that Vegeta could achieve SSJ, SSJ2.... and SSJ4. I'm sure he could accomplish it after, so it makes sense that he should be able to reach that stage.

And I'm just gonna mirror the thoughts of most of the others here when I say that it doesn't affect anything storywise at all. It's just a fun little "what if" in a video game.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 am

I like it, but I'm very disappointed it's only in the two Raging Blast games.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Yes, I thought about SSJ3 Vegeta way before it actually appeared as official. Vegeta is Goku's rival, and rivals should be on the same level of power to remain rivals.

Out-universe: Vegeta didn't need SSJ3.
In-universe: Vegeta totally achieved SSJ3 sooner or later (not taking GT into consideration here).

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:49 pm

And if you just follow the main storyline even, Goku has always achieved the higher power first (save for the first meeting) and then Vegeta has matched it. So it only falls in line that Vegeta would achieve ssj3, even according to the pattern of the canon.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Raithos wrote:And if you just follow the main storyline even, Goku has always achieved the higher power first (save for the first meeting) and then Vegeta has matched it. So it only falls in line that Vegeta would achieve ssj3, even according to the pattern of the canon.
Yeah, it's pretty much the standard formula.

I think SSJ 3 Vegeta was a nice bonus to the Raging Blast games, but his inclusion didn't make me buy them.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 am

I like it, though I don't like that it's an individual character and not just a transformation in Raging Blast 1. Not sure what his situation is with Blast 2.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:52 am

Kid Trunks wrote:I like it, though I don't like that it's an individual character and not just a transformation in Raging Blast 1. Not sure what his situation is with Blast 2.
Exact same.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)