FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 am

DBfan4life wrote:I already have my DBOX 7 and got it from Amazon, but regardless isn't this like the 3rd time that Amazon put that for DBOX 7. What was the problem last time?
I remember other Dboxes getting the "We've recalled this item for such and such an issue", but I don't remember any others for 7.

Also, it's back on for $30.99. Just checked. :wink:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

damn, i only have box 4. guess when that big sum comes in i can try to get most or all of them then but i hate ordering online (don't have a credit card and can't trust people i don't see face to face)and none of the stores are stocking with them and haven't for like a year.
Maron is stacked!!

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 am

Shit, I am so glad I got them when I did. I have the first six with the last one on its way.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 am

Aw, crap! Aw, crap! I knew they'd get discontinued some time, but this is too soon. I don't own ANY of the 'Dragon Boxes' since I've been blowing all my money on Kai and the Manga. Do you guys think I should snatch up as many Dragon Boxes as possible rather than making any other Dragon Ball purchases? Thank god for 'RightStuf', very few sellers on Amazon do international shipping.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Aw, crap! Aw, crap! I knew they'd get discontinued some time, but this is too soon. I don't own ANY of the 'Dragon Boxes' since I've been blowing all my money on Kai and the Manga. Do you guys think I should snatch up as many Dragon Boxes as possible rather than making any other Dragon Ball purchases? Thank god for 'RightStuf', very few sellers on Amazon do international shipping.
Good luck getting vol. 2, because its entry on Rightstuf! says "No longer available for purchase".
-Joey

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:23 am

Wow. I have to get my hands on another copy of Box 7 soon, because my first disc is faulty. :/

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:40 am

I'm glad I got 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 when they were $23.99 on Amazon. Later I got 2 from RightStuf when they were having that summer sale for $29.99 (plus taxes came out at about $34.99, but cheap compared to what they're selling from third parties.)

I've finished vol. 1 and vol. 2. Haven't had any time whatsoever to enjoy the DBZ marathon I want to do, so I have 3, 4, 5 and 6 unopened since I got them months ago.. but hearing some people say they've had problems with defective discs has me worried. I don't want to open them only to find out some discs are scratched to hell and back. And I think it's too late to tell Amazon that they came defective..

I don't have the guts to find out. :lol: Give me courage guys.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:41 am

The only set I don't have is the seventh. I only bought the first two online and the rest were locally available. I need to check the usual place to see if I can save a copy once available.

But damn... they did say this is a limited release in an ANN review and it's almost shocking seeing it happen. Hey, at least they did not cancel it mid-run.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

AToriyamaFan2326

Post by AToriyamaFan2326 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:02 pm

There's one store I know nearby that has one of the last copies of Dragon Box 2. If I'm lucky enough that it's still there, I can get it early in the morning as possible on Black Friday next month for a discount. :)

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 pm

AToriyamaFan2326 wrote:There's one store I know nearby that has one of the last copies of Dragon Box 2. If I'm lucky enough that it's still there, I can get it early in the morning as possible on Black Friday next month for a discount. :)
lol hide it somewhere in the store if you are for sure going to buy it! :D

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:15 pm

penguintruth wrote:Try this place: http://bit.ly/tCmzyI
I wouldn't...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

AToriyamaFan2326

Post by AToriyamaFan2326 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:17 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:
AToriyamaFan2326 wrote:There's one store I know nearby that has one of the last copies of Dragon Box 2. If I'm lucky enough that it's still there, I can get it early in the morning as possible on Black Friday next month for a discount. :)
lol hide it somewhere in the store if you are for sure going to buy it! :D
LOLL That is a good idea! Heheh!

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Maron is stacked!!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Woah, $216.12!?! :shock:
-Joey

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:33 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Woah, $216.12!?! :shock:
For the luva Kami, already?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Holy fu... I'm glad out of all the ones I could've bought, I got Box 2 first.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm

It's a Buy-It-Now price. That's not exactly indicative of the item's value.

You guys are seriously overreacting. There's no indication that these things will ever cost more than MSRP, let alone top two hundred bones.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:54 pm

BTW, not to derail the thread, but this is happening with that Zelda Skyward Sword bundle, too. It's out of stock on Amazon and scalpers are selling them at outrageous prices ($150).

Case in point: If something is said to be limited edition, and the company is known for sticking to their words, get it as soon as possible if you want it!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Daimakku wrote:BTW, not to derail the thread, but this is happening with that Zelda Skyward Sword bundle, too. It's out of stock on Amazon and scalpers are selling them at outrageous prices ($150).

Case in point: If something is said to be limited edition, and the company is known for sticking to their words, get it as soon as possible if you want it!
And don't let me start ranting on how I as a collector hate the "gimmick" called "Limited/Exclusive release" used by the companies! :evil:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Daimakku wrote:BTW, not to derail the thread, but this is happening with that Zelda Skyward Sword bundle, too. It's out of stock on Amazon and scalpers are selling them at outrageous prices ($150).

This is a common thing. When something is relatively new and then inventory shrinks, the price shoots up because everybody is still looking for it at the time. Of course there would be increased interest. It's new. But as time passes, even if no new stock is produced, the price eventually nosedives from the peak since the initial rush (particularly now since the holidays are approaching) passes and the supply/demand levels off. So even if something like Dragon Box volume 2 were actually to sell for $200 as a result of the Christmas frenzy and the spiked interest due to the whole "Oh, no, it's limited!" rush, it's unlikely to remain that high.

Prices may never drop to the bargain bin $25 it was at one point, but, seriously, I wouldn't recommend paying huge premiums right now on the fear that it'll only keep climbing. It's much more likely to start coming down once the waters settle. I'm just concerned that people are going to start hitting some opportunist Buy-It-Now gouges and then feel a huge swell of buyer's remorse when the price cuts in half or more by February or March. I'm pretty involved in the video game collecting community and I've seen this kind of thing happen plenty of times. Pay what you feel the item is worth. Don't let people scare you into highway robbery with inflated auctions.