FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:23 am

Yo, so, this probably sounds a little pre-emptive, but do you all figure I'll be safe waiting until Christmas to get the last two boxes? I have some other media I'd like to buy between now and then.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:29 am

Yes. It'll be fine.
This isn't as big a deal as people are making out, don't worry.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:38 am

If anyone is still looking for Box 2, I managed to find one new for under $40. Here's the link: http://www.smartzplace.com/dragonball-z ... vt/4016473
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:43 am

Cipher wrote:Yo, so, this probably sounds a little pre-emptive, but do you all figure I'll be safe waiting until Christmas to get the last two boxes? I have some other media I'd like to buy between now and then.
I wouldn't chance it. In fact, I'm not. I ordered them as an early Christmas gift to myself and will pretend to be surprised when I get them.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:43 pm

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:If anyone is still looking for Box 2, I managed to find one new for under $40. Here's the link: http://www.smartzplace.com/dragonball-z ... vt/4016473
Does anyone know if this is a reputable source?

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:
.:PoetikaL:. wrote:If anyone is still looking for Box 2, I managed to find one new for under $40. Here's the link: http://www.smartzplace.com/dragonball-z ... vt/4016473
Well, I managed to find this: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Smartz_Place

I hope that helps.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:04 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:
You can put it in a cart, but it says "On Order" above it. They don't have it.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm

The final two DBoxes are headed for my home right now. I won't get to watch them until Christmas, but I'm still catching up watching the fifth one, so that's fine with me.

I guess from now on, if I recommend a DBZ release, I can't say "Get the Dragon Boxes" because there won't be any. It makes me sad for others.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ssj5goku

Post by ssj5goku » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:33 am

I don't think Fnimation's going to discontinued the dragon box i think they are just lying to get people to buy them, dragon box vol.2 is in stock again at http://www.smartzplace.com/dragonball-z ... vt/4016473 for 36.65. The only thing Funimation's will discontinued is there anime limited edition set which come with a hard cover art box.
Dragon ball fan since 1995

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:31 am

penguintruth wrote:I wouldn't chance it. In fact, I'm not. I ordered them as an early Christmas gift to myself and will pretend to be surprised when I get them.
They're likely not even done producing the last few boxes though. It's not as if they each only get one run.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:00 am

I take this as good news, guys. If this was indeed a limited edition thing, and you can no longer find them through normal distributors, it means FUNimation has sold exactly how much of the Dragon Box they were hoping to sell. Which means they're all "gone". Which should mean it was a success, right?

And if Dragon Box Z was a success, hopefully they'll be inclined to do this for Dragon Ball too....

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:03 am

Looks to be in stock on Amazon at the moment. So, I went ahead and ordered the last two Dragon Boxes I'm missing just to be safe. I just finished watching the fourth one, and I'm ready to finally take number five out of its shrink wrap. :P
I can see their parachutes.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I really need to order the 7th box soon, I'd hate to have one missing from my set.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Got 5, 6, and 7. So, as of next week; I will own all 291 episodes of DBZ in Dragon Box Format. I am pleased. And with that I have all of Z and GT, now I should buy the original DB and catch up on Kai since I have the first 3 "Parts".

redlinks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redlinks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:01 pm

I just got 6 & 7 after seeing this! Thanks a bunch for the heads up! Glad I got all the other boxes while I could. Anyone else notice that some guy is trying to sell the 2nd Dragon Box for $9,000.01 on amazon? lol I think the seller is making a joke of trying to sell it for over 9,000. Not to mention Vegeta is on the cover. xD

Oh and heads up for those who want to start collecting now, do it asap. Amazon has only 14 boxes left of Dragon Box 1. After that, you'll have a hard time finding it elsewhere. Good luck ya'll!
- Been a Dragon Ball fan ever since 1995 (at the time, I was 7 years old).
- I prefer Saffron Henderson's Kid Gohan and Kid Goku over Stephanie Nadolny's.
- I still hope for a redub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with FUNimation's current cast.
- I prefer to watch Dragon Ball Z with the Faulconer Score, however I do not mind the original Japanese score.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 pm

redlinks wrote:I just got 6 & 7 after seeing this! Thanks a bunch for the heads up! Glad I got all the other boxes while I could. Anyone else notice that some guy is trying to sell the 2nd Dragon Box for $9,000.01 on amazon? lol I think the seller is making a joke of trying to sell it for over 9,000. Not to mention Vegeta is on the cover. xD
Yesterday that person had Dragon Box 2 for $880USD and I thought that was ridiculous. :lol:

redlinks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redlinks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 pm

PuppetDoctor wrote:
redlinks wrote:I just got 6 & 7 after seeing this! Thanks a bunch for the heads up! Glad I got all the other boxes while I could. Anyone else notice that some guy is trying to sell the 2nd Dragon Box for $9,000.01 on amazon? lol I think the seller is making a joke of trying to sell it for over 9,000. Not to mention Vegeta is on the cover. xD
Yesterday that person had Dragon Box 2 for $880USD and I thought that was ridiculous. :lol:
lol I'd like to think of this current listing as one major pun. xD At one point, people were selling for $54 which is much more reasonable in my opinion.
- Been a Dragon Ball fan ever since 1995 (at the time, I was 7 years old).
- I prefer Saffron Henderson's Kid Gohan and Kid Goku over Stephanie Nadolny's.
- I still hope for a redub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with FUNimation's current cast.
- I prefer to watch Dragon Ball Z with the Faulconer Score, however I do not mind the original Japanese score.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:06 pm

ssj5goku wrote:I don't think Fnimation's going to discontinued the dragon box i think they are just lying to get people to buy them, dragon box vol.2 is in stock again at http://www.smartzplace.com/dragonball-z ... vt/4016473 for 36.65. The only thing Funimation's will discontinued is there anime limited edition set which come with a hard cover art box.
It was already stated that that when added to the cart, it says on order. In other words, they don't have them. Not to mention Funi said it themselves that this is limited.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey!

They still sell every(!) DBox for normal price:
http://www.animecornerstore.com/drazonballz.html

Hope it helps somebody! Btw. great store! :)

Jusenkyo_Guide

Post by Jusenkyo_Guide » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:41 pm

peterx wrote:Hey!

They still sell every(!) DBox for normal price:
http://www.animecornerstore.com/drazonballz.html

Hope it helps somebody! :)
I shop at RAC's all the time! Great store, good customer service, and Bob is a super-great guy! But I wouldn't say "every(!) DBox for normal price" as his price on DBox 2 is $89, still better than the current price on Amazon or eBay though... that's for sure! :-)