Dragon Box vs Original Broadcast - The Audio

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Dragon Box vs Original Broadcast - The Audio

Post by Gonstead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:08 am

This topic is to provide comparisons between the initial release of the Dragon Boxes vs the best available quality recordings of the Original Master Tape audio which were recorded over 20 years ago when DBZ was originally airing.

Trunks kills Frieza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1St_lORuM

Gohan turns Super Saiyan 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qddtHLJMV5I

It's Over 8000!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEzK6lTsYw

Goku turns Super Saiyan 3
Coming Soon

Vegeta's Sacrifice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPzwYzBnxns

Piccolo's Makankosappo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n09NFFXyFc

Instant Kamehameha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqUf5OC39ws

Tell me what you think?

EDIT: if kei17 is willing to share their copies of the original run of DBZ for simple comparison videos, I can take requests for certain scenes.
Last edited by Gonstead on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

bkev
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Box vs Original Broadcast - The Audio

Post by bkev » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:27 am

I genuinely think kei17 should send his VHS tapes to TOEi... well, digital rips at least. I doubt they'd bother paying attention to it, but jeez. It's sad that supposedly VHS tapes sound better than what we have now (and will have ever if these aren't properly preserved.) I'd rather have audio that might occasionally fade in and out of quality that's overall better than the muffley stuff we have now.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:08 am

Kei's recordings are betamax, not VHS.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 am

I would pay a ridiculous amount of money for original run audio of dragonball/dragonball Z.

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I have to ask, what are the chances of creating a comparison clip using Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation?

I know this could turn into a request thread but surely I’m not the only one who's curious :D
Guangzhou is a great place to eat...and spit!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 pm

nwoo_2002 wrote:I have to ask, what are the chances of creating a comparison clip using Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation?

I know this could turn into a request thread but surely I’m not the only one who's curious :D
Sure, I can do that.

I can post it later on today perhaps.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Gonstead wrote:
nwoo_2002 wrote:I have to ask, what are the chances of creating a comparison clip using Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation?

Sure, I can do that.

No rush mate; I (and a few others I’m sure) would be grateful if you get a chance to do it. So is it just a case that the original Audio masters used for the Dragon Box just naturally degraded whilst in storage?
Guangzhou is a great place to eat...and spit!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:53 pm

nwoo_2002 wrote:
Gonstead wrote:

Sure, I can do that.

No rush mate; I (and a few others I’m sure) would be grateful if you get a chance to do it. So is it just a case that the original Audio masters used for the Dragon Box just naturally degraded whilst in storage?
Nope. Toei literally threw out the original audio masters. Why they decided that was a good idea is something that is totally beyond me.

It should also be worth noting that the term "original broadcast audio" is ever-so-slightly misleading. The uploader isn't lying, that's not what I mean by "misleading." What I mean is that it isn't the original audio masters you're listening to in that clip so much as it is a betamax recording of the original broadcast audio. That means that, technically speaking, at one point DBZ was on Japanese TV with audio quality even higher than what you heard in this clip.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:57 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Nope. Toei literally threw out the original audio masters. Why they decided that was a good idea is something that is totally beyond me.
Cause they never thought they would have to use them again. They already had masters decent enough for reruns, so why waste space.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:10 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Nope. Toei literally threw out the original audio masters. Why they decided that was a good idea is something that is totally beyond me.
Cause they never thought they would have to use them again. They already had masters decent enough for reruns, so why waste space.
Well, I guess I just don't understand that mindset. If they had masters at the time that were decent enough for reruns, that means they actually anticipated reruns, which means they knew that DBZ would be aired again. Why throw out the better masters? If they wanted to save space, why not throw out the other, lesser-quality masters?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:13 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: If they wanted to save space, why not throw out the other, lesser-quality masters?
The believe the lower quality audio is on the film itself.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote: If they wanted to save space, why not throw out the other, lesser-quality masters?
The believe the lower quality audio is on the film itself.
Is that how they have they have that audio? Okay, that makes sense. I never knew how or the exact reason why they had that audio, I just knew Toei threw away the better quality audio for space.

But, we all have to remember absolutely no one thought there was gonna be a market for all this stuff about 20 years later.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Still, throwing out freaking master recordings is kind of a stupid thing to do, space-wise or not. Imagine how much better it would be, without this muddy audio, and being able to listen to the high quality recordings.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 pm

funrush wrote:Still, throwing out freaking master recordings is kind of a stupid thing to do, space-wise or not. Imagine how much better it would be, without this muddy audio, and being able to listen to the high quality recordings.
Again, at the time it wasn't a stupid thing to do.
AgitoZ wrote:But, we all have to remember absolutely no one thought there was gonna be a market for all this stuff about 20 years later.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:35 pm

funrush wrote:Still, throwing out freaking master recordings is kind of a stupid thing to do, space-wise or not. Imagine how much better it would be, without this muddy audio, and being able to listen to the high quality recordings.
Not just for DVD release. Many years later they could have remastered the source audio again and made high-def audio tracks. I know there wasn't a market for home video releases of any TV series back then, but still, you would think they'd keep the original materials for reruns at least. I can't imagine being in a board room of executives and saying, "Once we're done with the master recordings, we'll just use lesser-quality ones for reruns."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Well, when you make as much anime as Toei does and store it in as small a country as Japan sometimes things just have to go. It's not like the Dragon Box audio is unbearable.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Even if there wasn't any market, you should never throw out the master tapes. You need to always be prepared.

Anyways, how many rips of Z have been found with the original audio of?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:02 pm

funrush wrote:Even if there wasn't any market, you should never throw out the master tapes. You need to always be prepared.
Even for a kid's cartoon that may never even see the light of day again after it's aired only once and takes up space for other, new material?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:03 pm

funrush wrote:Even if there wasn't any market, you should never throw out the master tapes. You need to always be prepared.

Anyways, how many rips of Z have been found with the original audio of?
While I agree that disposing of masters is a bad idea, it happens. Hell, Dave Mustaine went to remaster the Megadeth discography and found that lots of the discrete masters were missing. Sebastian Bach kept the masters for Skid Row's first couple of albums in his basement and they were destroyed when New Jersey flooded a couple of months back. George Lucas has, allegedly, destroyed the film masters from the original cuts of the Star Wars films. While dumb, it happens more often than you think.

Anyway, in my 12 years or so of being in the DragonBall online community, one person has presented the issue of Z airing with better audio: kei17.
Puto wrote:Kei's recordings are betamax, not VHS.
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... hilit=+vhs

^They're VHS, unless this changed.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 pm

The ones he's posting NOW are from Betamax.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.