Dragon Box Vs. Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Takkun

Dragon Box Vs. Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1

Post by Takkun » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:18 pm

So for some time I've read that the Dragon Boxes have been the definitive release for Dragon Ball Z. The video quality was said to be the best it could possibly be, along with the Next Episode Previews, Japanese Title Cards, etc.

However, now that the new Blu-Ray release has come out, I've been reading reviews that say that this is the way Dragon Ball Z was supposed to look, claiming that the Dragon Box had off colors and such. So now I am a little confused, which one is the better release? Which is the better product? These are things that could be compared:

-Video Quality (colors, sharpness, detail, grain...)- [I know comparing Blu-Ray to DVD isn't really fair, but would upscaling the Dragon Boxes on a Blu-Ray Player and an HD TV even things?]

-Audio Quality

-Features

-Collector's value

I have a feeling a comparison between the two is coming eventually, so why not start off now?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Box Vs. Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Video - BD
Audio - Don't Know
Features: Dragon Box
Collector's Value - Dragon Box
Upscaling we never be better than native HD, which the BDs are.
Supposedly the BDs have more accurate colors, I don't know, I don't care.
And personally, I really could give a shit about title cards.
We already have a massive thread if you wanna discuss it there.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:04 pm

The only two negatives for me about the BR's are: 1. no previews, and 2. no Japanese title cards (if I understood this one correctly).

james039

Post by james039 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:39 pm

I'm surprised the BD didn't at least use the old dub-only NEPs that were produced for Cartoon Network/Toonami, surely FUNi has those kicking around somewhere? splice in the original film footage, and boom, HD!! These BDs are evidentally a dub centric release anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't do that.

Who doesn't want to hear the old narrator saying, "NEXT TIME on DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

ssj5goku

Post by ssj5goku » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 pm

The dragon box look even worst if you upscale it and play on a HDTV. It best to play on a crt tv it look great on it.
Dragon ball fan since 1995

Takkun

Post by Takkun » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 pm

ssj5goku wrote:The dragon box look even worst if you upscale it and play on a HDTV. It best to play on a crt tv it look great on it.
I don't think it looks worse when you upscale it......

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:01 pm

Really depends on what you use to do the upscaling.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Takkun wrote:-Video Quality (colors, sharpness, detail, grain...)- [I know comparing Blu-Ray to DVD isn't really fair, but would upscaling the Dragon Boxes on a Blu-Ray Player and an HD TV even things?]

-Audio Quality

-Features

-Collector's value

I have a feeling a comparison between the two is coming eventually, so why not start off now?
The DragonBoxes are from a better film source, and include the episodes in full. Title cards, next episode previews, etc. Colors are, even though consistent with Japanese sources for the past decade plus, under debate as of recent (read: the past two years) as a result of VHS/Betamax recordings of the alleged "original broadcast" made under unknown circumstances. Both the DragonBoxes and the BD's underwent restoration, however only time will tell how FUNi's processes compare to Toei/Pony Canyon's.

Audio quality is neck and neck, in terms of the Japanese track. The DragonBoxes are mono, as are the BD's. The BD's may be slightly worse, again because they're from a more degraded master.

The DragonBoxes don't really have any on-disc features, aside from being the only fully complete release of the series (assuming you count aspect ratio changes via cropping and loss of NEP's as making a release incomplete). The BD's will, undoubtedly, have some extras. The first set, I believe, is somewhat bare bones.

As for collector's value, the DragonBoxes win by a mile. The presentation, the booklets, etc. The BD's are just the same as any normal FUNi BD release. Plus, the DragonBoxes are limited and apparently already going out of print.

From my vantage point, if you like the English version primarily...get the BD's. If you like the Japanese version, get the DragonBoxes. Each release seems tailored to those two demographics accordingly. And as for upscaling, the DragonBoxes look fine on my HDTV (I've used a few upscaling chipsets, but I'm not running a massive display so the difference for me between them has been negligible).
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:57 am

If the BDs use the same audio that FUNi used prior to the Dragon Box Z sets, then they will sound horrible if watched in Japanese. I used to get headaches watching Dragon Ball with headphones on. >_<
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

OneDragonZwill

Post by OneDragonZwill » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:59 am

Get the Dragon Boxes. They're the best. Trust me.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:45 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:If the BDs use the same audio that FUNi used prior to the Dragon Box Z sets, then they will sound horrible if watched in Japanese. I used to get headaches watching Dragon Ball with headphones on. >_<
I can say with reasonable confidence that they have the Dragon Box audio.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:47 pm

OneDragonZwill wrote:Get the Dragon Boxes. They're the best. Trust me.
I think he was looking for a detailed comparison, not just "x is better."
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Puto wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:If the BDs use the same audio that FUNi used prior to the Dragon Box Z sets, then they will sound horrible if watched in Japanese. I used to get headaches watching Dragon Ball with headphones on. >_<
I can say with reasonable confidence that they have the Dragon Box audio.
If you listen to Zenkai Power on the dub track vs. the Japanese track you can reeeeaaaallly tell how much better the Japanese track is, too.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Takkun wrote:[I know comparing Blu-Ray to DVD isn't really fair, but would upscaling the Dragon Boxes on a Blu-Ray Player and an HD TV even things?]
No. Whenever I try watching the Dragon Boxes on my blu-ray player, they look terrible. They look best on my fullscreen TV with just a plain old DVD player.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:19 pm

The Dragon Boxes doesn't look bad on my TV. Then again, I use my HD-DVD player and it displays it in its proper 4x3 with the bars on the sides, however when I play it on my Blu-ray player, it stretches the image to fullscreen, same with my Fist of the North Star sets.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:42 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:The Dragon Boxes doesn't look bad on my TV. Then again, I use my HD-DVD player and it displays it in its proper 4x3 with the bars on the sides, however when I play it on my Blu-ray player, it stretches the image to fullscreen, same with my Fist of the North Star sets.
That's likely the settings on your BR player. Try looking in the upscale settings, it sounds like the BR player is just dumping out 480p while the HDDVD player is upscaling into 720p.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:28 am

The Dragon Boxes don't look too bad either on my Sony 40" (Full HD as well) via Playstation 3. Little macroblocking is more obvious from time to time but it's pretty damn good for DVD standards.

Takkun

Post by Takkun » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:11 am

OneDragonZwill wrote:Get the Dragon Boxes. They're the best. Trust me.
I already have them all..(x Just don't own the Blu-Ray, and i want to know how they stack up.
DanielGClapp wrote:
Takkun wrote:[I know comparing Blu-Ray to DVD isn't really fair, but would upscaling the Dragon Boxes on a Blu-Ray Player and an HD TV even things?]
No. Whenever I try watching the Dragon Boxes on my blu-ray player, they look terrible. They look best on my fullscreen TV with just a plain old DVD player.
I don't see a problem with the video quality when up-scaled. Actually it looks pretty good to me. I just want to know how they compare with the new Blu-Ray release.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Takkun wrote:I don't see a problem with the video quality when up-scaled. Actually it looks pretty good to me. I just want to know how they compare with the new Blu-Ray release.
Lets just put it this way. Whenever I watch my Dragon Boxes on my blu-ray player, it looks worse than VLC. When I watch them on VLC, they are extremely grainy.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:35 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:Lets just put it this way. Whenever I watch my Dragon Boxes on my blu-ray player, it looks worse than VLC. When I watch them on VLC, they are extremely grainy.
While VLC is a "one size fits all" player, I wouldn't use it to determine quality of anything really. As for the BD player comment...I dunno. I've used a few setups, currently an Oppo DV-980H outputting 480i to a Denon 3808-CI, which deinterlaces and upscales to 720p (my TV is a Pioneer Elite PRO-910HD, so it's a native 768p panel). Never thought it looked bad at all, just typical of an excellent encode of a 16mm SD source.

Now, FUNi's singles on the other hand... ;)
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe