Do you think it's a good concept what the Greek Dub did?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you think it's a good concept what the Greek Dub did?

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:10 pm

With the Greek Dub, they took an interesting approach with the voices since they only had a few voice actors. They made all the villains have alien/robot like voices while all the good characters had normal ones. Here's an example to see what I'm talking about.

It's over 9000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5nyTjY0r30

Vegeta becomes SSJ in battle against Androids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYneVNLz ... re=related

Goku powers up for Ginyu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dZ_CnO58yE

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think it's a good concept what the Greek Dub did?

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 pm

I don't think it's a "good" idea, no. FUNimation was short on actors back in the day, but they just made Chris Sabat do a million goofy voices.

Not that that approach is great either, but I think it's preferable to having half the characters in a given scene sound like Megatron (even if I do find it hilarious).
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:16 am

I kind of find it amusing that they stopped at one voice filter. Surely they were somewhat capable of using audio editing software to have applied the robot effect. Play around with the pitch setting for one guy and you have more voices than you can shake a stick at. Granted, it's going to sound amateurish as all get out but probably no more so than everyone being an Autobot.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:17 am

A very, very bad idea.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:22 am

No. Simply because it doesn,t fit for all of them and it sounds silly on characters like Vegeta.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:52 am

This concept is utterly bad. Not mentioning of using some default filter, so everybody sounds like old robo-drunkards talking to you from trash bin.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 am

Greek robots... Greek aliens... What....

Plot hole: Goku is an alien and yet he doesn't have a filter. :(
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:14 am

Vegeta sounds like Portugal's Piccolo/Cell, like a robot.

Awful idea, Greeks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

I'd have rather gone with changing pitches of the voices than some cheap filter.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh yes, that's the DBZ I grew up with. :lol:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:07 am

This is a very bad idea because this sort of voicing doesn't allow for character development on characters like Vegeta who have a sort of long and interesting transition from evil to good so such voice filter doesn't really do the trick. In the english dub Chris Sabbat was very good at pulling off piccolo's good and evil persona with just his acting talent alone and he is also 90% of the voices in the english dub and can also do a vast range of voices too so I suspect this is the Greek dubbing company's way of saving money istead of making a good dub with good actors which makes some sort of impact.

If the robot/alien filter are then used on evil characters which have no transition from evil to good then I guess the filter then have some merit but still lazy. It would be nice sounding on Freeza's men or the Andriods though since barely any of them have the character development or the humanity.

Greek Goku when he is powering against Ginyu just sounds like he is a baby crying.
The Dante diet: Beer, Pizza and a strawberry Sunday.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 am

Wow. That was truly terrible.

...and yet they retained the original soundtrack... ;p
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:55 am

I don't think it's a good idea, no. Maybe for the Artifical Humans like 19 and 20 but other more organic characters, no.

Gohan's voice was adorable though. At least sounded more like a kid.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:26 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:...and yet they retained the original soundtrack... ;p
They also retained the popular "kkkkkkkkkkkkuuuuuuuu" from the Japanese version, AND they increased the screamings, not only in volume, but in awfulness too. The screamings were the only reason my parents hated it when I was watching DBZ on TV. :lol:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:15 am

Some of these clips is my first time hearing the Greek language spoken so have to ask you native speakers, is that good sounding or bad sounding to you?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:49 am

That sounded really bad.

Also interesting:
another thing about the greek version is that there so many changes that they could easily change the whole plot.
1.frieza has changed genre about 6 times during the series
2.vegito is called vegeta-goku,buu "bu-bu" and ssj3 "super sayan 3 level"
3.Until the early buu saga almost everyone called goku kakarot.
and the most epic one:
every time that gohan was doing a kamehameha he was shouting"
KA..ME..HA..ME..HU!!!!!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:31 pm

If there's a dub that's actually worse than FUNimation's Dub, it is definitely the Greek and Portuguese.

Still, worth watching for a laugh. :lol:
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray