Is it strange listening to two Nozawa voices talk?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Is it strange listening to two Nozawa voices talk?

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:58 am

As we all know Masako Nowaza voices a big portion of Goku's family now this can be forgiven for the fact she plays the characters in different ways (Goku compeared to Tullece is the best example of this IMO). Now that being said it is pretty obvious just by listening that its the same woman doing all the voices. So I was wondering does anyone find it a bit off-putting? I was recently wathing a episode of the Buu saga and I found it a bit hard to get into the momment when Goku and Gohan were talking (the best way to describe it was that it felt a bit like some person doing a improv skit or a puppet show) I did not find it that off-putting but I could not help but notice.
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do all the Nowaza voices sound jaring to you?

Post by Rukura » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 am

It's starting to feel like any given thread that is remotely related to Goku (and sometimes voices) end up discussing whether or not people like it. I think I read at least 3 similar threads in the past week or so.

Short personal answer: No

Prediction:
FUNimation english dub exclusive fans: Yes
Original version fans: No
Others: Split decision
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 am

Ah yes, I almost fogot to tell people to keep this on topic.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:25 am

Yeah, do we really need another discussion about this so soon? I've noticed that it's the people that want to complain about Nozawa and Japanese Goku in general that repeatedly bringing this up.

Anyway, Nozawa doesn't sound jarring at all, she's perfect as the Son family and Tullece (as he's supposed to be the evil version of Goku). That being said though, there was a sentiment in the last Nozawa discussion that she didn't really need to play Bardock. I'll go one step further and suggest that she might have been miscast as Bardock. Not her fault, just that the character might have been better served with a voice actor that played more to Bardock's personality since he's more or less the opposite of Goku.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 am

I haven't heard her Bardock or Tullece before, so I can't really comment on those. Super Squeaky Goku has always bothered me, though. 16/17-year-old Gohan, too. I don't mind the squeaky voices for the little kids (like Goten), but for the adult Saiyans it's just weird.

For the most part I don't mind the Japanese voices; there's even some I really like. There's just a few that really bug me--adult Goku, adult Gohan, Krillin, and Yajirobe are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Weird thing, though--in the video games where you can set the voices to either language (like Budokai Tenkaichi 3) or that only have Japanese voices (Attack of the Saiyans), I don't mind them as much as in the actual show. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because it's just the battle grunts and such rather than much actual talking... not sure.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:11 am

Another topic of a user complaining about Son's original voice. If you don't like no one's forcing to you to listen. Sigh. -.-

I liked Nozawa's voice on Son's family (Son Goku, Son Gohan, Son Goten, Burdock, Tullece, Gotens, Vegetto, Gogeta) very much, it didn't sound like a woman's voice, just between male/female (balanced).

Rukura @ Right on, FUNimation fans tend to call Son's original voice as "Goku's Japanese voice is gay". So childish.
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 am

I agree that I'm not sure we need something like a third or fourth thread asking the same questions again so quick after one another. Is there something new to bring to the table? I don't know that simply adding the word "jarring" separates it enough from everything that was already just discussed.

Am I missing something? I have no desire to stifle conversation about anything related to the series, but this seems a little redundant lately...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:28 pm

ringworm128 wrote:As we all know Masako Nowaza voices a big portion of Goku's family now this can be forgiven for the fact she plays the characters in different ways (Goku compeared to Tullece is the best example of this IMO). Now that being said it is pretty obvious just by listening that its the same woman doing all the voices. So I was wondering does anyone find it a bit off-putting? I was recently wathing a episode of the Buu saga and I found it a bit hard to get into the momment when Goku and Gohan were talking (the best way to describe it was that it felt a bit like some person doing a improv skit or a puppet show) I did not find it that off-putting but I could not help but notice.
I don't find it off putting, no.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Of course it's jarring, at first. Especially to people who start with DBZ.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:38 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I was recently wathing a episode of the Buu saga and I found it a bit hard to get into the momment when Goku and Gohan were talking (the best way to describe it was that it felt a bit like some person doing a improv skit or a puppet show) I did not find it that off-putting but I could not help but notice.
Actualy, I see a big differense between Goku and Gohan in Boo arc, especialy when both of them are talking in the same scene. Gohan's voice is shorter than Goku's, he talks like Goku was talking in 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Not really no. I love scenes with her 4 year old Gohan and Goku....

Her Tullece is amazing.

But perhaps as others have said she was miscast as Bardock.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Yes. Especially late in the series when you can get Nozawa talking to Nozawa with Nozawa chiming in and then Nozawa punches Nozawa and Nozawa and we get Nozawa and Nozawa screaming while Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa.

bwaaaak

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:13 pm

And now the Nozawa haters reunite on this.. topic. -.-

ringworm128, her name is Nozawa (Masako Nozawa) not Nowaza.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Rocketman wrote:Yes. Especially late in the series when you can get Nozawa talking to Nozawa with Nozawa chiming in and then Nozawa punches Nozawa and Nozawa and we get Nozawa and Nozawa screaming while Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa.

bwaaaak
Yep, thank God FUNi's dub avoids having actors talking to themselves.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Takkun

Post by Takkun » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:27 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Yes. Especially late in the series when you can get Nozawa talking to Nozawa with Nozawa chiming in and then Nozawa punches Nozawa and Nozawa and we get Nozawa and Nozawa screaming while Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa.

bwaaaak

Uhhhm, Chris Sabat....?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:32 pm

He only does four voices though. He voiced more in the old dub, but most of the extras were minor characters.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Takkun wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:

bwaaaak

Uhhhm, Chris Sabat....?
That was sarcasm.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Takkun wrote:Uhhhm, Chris Sabat....?
Whoosh.
AgitoZ wrote:Yep, thank God FUNi's dub avoids having actors talking to themselves.
None of Funi's actors make me want to stab my eardrums. Maybe if Fat Buu and King Kai had an extended dialogue, but that's still only two compared to three JP characters together and bwakh-ing.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I sort of hate Sabat's voice, he almost sounds the same on every character he does, yet I don't mind, but it's a bit annoying.

"Oh look, Vegeta's Kuwabara now"

Granny Freeza actually fits better with Master Genkai than it'd ever with the actual Freeza.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I sort of hate Sabat's voice, he almost sounds the same on every character he does, yet I don't mind, but it's a bit annoying.

"Oh look, Vegeta's Kuwabara now"

Granny Freeza actually fits better with Master Genkai than it'd ever with the actual Freeza.
I agree with this sentiment. It annoyed me when I first watched the English version of Kai and Piccolo sounded identical to Zoro in One Piece.