Detail Loss in the Orange Bricks: Not Seeing It

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Post Reply
User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Detail Loss in the Orange Bricks: Not Seeing It

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Everyone goes on about grain removal and how you lose detail but I just don't see it. Yes I can see it in some screen shots but I mainly only see the blurring and (the? some?) shining (I was watching the Jheese and Butta fight on YT to compare between the DBOXes and it was like somebody was holding a flash light up to the screen). However, the way people go on about it just seems like an over-exaggeration to me.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
Perfect
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Perfect » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 pm

You're referring to the "Orange Bricks" right? I just have to clarify, because I can't believe I'm reading this.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Yes I am talking about the Orange Bricks and yes I can see a bit of detail loss but I just don't think its as bad as everybody go's on about it.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6117
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:42 pm

...Really?

Season Set:
Image

Dragon Box:
Image

Season Set:
Image

Dragon Box:
Image

You really aren't seeing it? :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
CaBrPi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1158
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: D/FW, Texas

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 pm

To be fair, Season Two is, by far, the WORST offender in this case.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:...Really?

Season Set:
Image

Dragon Box:
Image

Season Set:
Image

Dragon Box:
Image

You really aren't seeing it? :?
I can see the loss of lines around the edges of the drawings but when it comes to the actual picture it seems that the over saturation is the worse offender.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 pm

We need some comparison shots with detailed backgrounds like trees and mountains.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
Craddle
Regular
Posts: 661
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Craddle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 am

CaBrPi wrote:To be fair, Season Two is, by far, the WORST offender in this case.
Here.

Image

User avatar
Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 am
Contact:

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Soul » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 am

Dude, that's what loss of detail is. The detail is lost in the oversaturation.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 am

Craddle wrote:
CaBrPi wrote:To be fair, Season Two is, by far, the WORST offender in this case.
Here.

Image
Besides some lines around the edges I'm seeing more saturation them I'm seeing detail loss. EDIT
Soul wrote:Dude, that's what loss of detail is. The detail is lost in the oversaturation.
Oh I get it now but even then apart from blurring, the cloths and skin seem to only have a bit more depth in them on the Dboxs. Though I do wanna see some screen shots of trees and caves. I think if anything is going to show detail loss it will be that.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
Perfect
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Perfect » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 am

I can't take this seriously, really.

Image

If that isn't detail loss, I don't know what is.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

User avatar
Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 am

Someone has some really bad setting on their TV to see these errors or successful troll is successful!

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 am

Krycek7o2 wrote:Someone has some really bad setting on their TV to see these errors or successful troll is successful!
Well when I had the OB's I watched them on a SD TV so maybe thats why.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

User avatar
Perfect
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Perfect » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am

They're going to look over-saturated, missing most of the picture/outlines regardless of the TV.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 am

Perfect wrote:I can't take this seriously, really.

Image

If that isn't detail loss, I don't know what is.
I can see the fact that you can't see the background or those stairs but when it comes to Goku himself apart from looking too over saturated I just cant see any detail loss in his skin or cloths.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:53 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:38 am

What's this!? I don't even...

User avatar
Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 pm
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Hujio » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:43 am

ringworm128 wrote:I can see the fact that you can't see the background or those stairs but when it comes to Goku himself apart from looking too over saturated I just cant see any detail loss in his skin or cloths.
That's just it. You're seeing the loss of detail. Anytime you use any sort of grain removal techniques (in this case combined with extreme color saturation), you're inherently going to have a loss detail. And loss of detail isn't just relative to the characters, but to the entire footage itself. Also, detail isn't just the defining outline of something like a character, it's also the contrasting colors between objects, the lighting, and the illusion of depth. Just because the character in a shot looks suitable, it doesn't necessarily imply there's no loss of detail. When two colors start to blend together, to the point where they look to be almost the same, that's a loss of contrasting detail. Even in above examples, it's not just the missing outlines removed by filters that define a loss of detail, but also the blurriness inherent from the grain removal that defines a characters shadings and tones. That's fine if you don't see it, but it doesn't mean it's not there. Not to be offensive or anything, but it's especially noticeable to someone with a semi-technical knowledge of film remastering. Another key point to remember is that loss of detail is all relative to what you're comparing the material against. If you're just watching it at home a on TV and you have no prior experience with something containing more detail than what you're watching, then you probably won't notice that much, especially if you're not too anal about your video quality.
Last edited by Hujio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

User avatar
Craddle
Regular
Posts: 661
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Craddle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:56 am

If you guys really want to continue to try to justify that you spent your money on these terrible releases, be my guest. There is absolutely no way any of us will ever get through to you. No matter how much evidence is thrown at you, you'll just keep making excuses and defending your decision. I really don't blame you. However, a sane man has to come to his senses, eventually.

The proof is in the pudding:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 am

Perfect wrote:I can't take this seriously, really.

Image

If that isn't detail loss, I don't know what is.
To be honest, I don't understand half of the conversations on this forum regarding video quality, but what I can gather from general observation is that the lines on Goku's shirt in the 'Orange Bricks' aren't as well defined and appear closer together and blurry (is this a result of colour saturation?).

Seriously, they didn't mention any of this in the 10 years I've been at school. :lol: I learn more on this forum. :P

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 am

Hujio wrote: you probably won't notice that much, especially if you're not anal about your video quality.
I guess its because I'm not anal.
Craddle wrote:If you guys really want to continue to try to justify that you spent your money on these terrible releases, be my guest. There is absolutely no way any of us will ever get through to you. No matter how much evidence is thrown at you, you'll just keep making excuses and defending your decision. I really don't blame you. However, a sane man has to come to his senses, eventually.
I never tried to justify the OB's I dislike them just like all of you. Its just that I don't think (overall) their as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Those pics (from what I've seen) are the worst offenders.
If you have to write a small thesis every time you respond to a post you're not an intellectual, you're just bad at making your point.

Post Reply