The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Post by NitroEX » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 am

I doubt Funimation will have any interest in putting this on an official release. As far as I'm aware there's no precedent of them ever selling other DB dubs aside from their own. And before anyone tries throwing the RTD set in my face, they own that, even the Pioneer stuff (plus it was mostly released already). There are other English dubs out there (Westwood, Blue Water, Big Green, Ocean Kai) that Funimation probably could acquire and release if they wanted to, but they never will, probably because it undermines their own in-house dub and thus isn't in their best interest.

The only fan provided source I could see them realistically using would be the Japanese broadcast audio, but even that is highly unlikely given that Toei would have to approve it first. And judging by how Japanese companies already omit certain things from English releases to avoid reverse importing, they wouldn't dare let Funimation have better audio than their own domestic product. If it's not in their best interest, chances are they're not going to do it.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:20 am

If hé really wanted anymore hé can do himself or should already have done it but hé won t and thé fact that someone have them now maybe explain why hé dissapear or don t want anymore

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:26 am

NitroEX wrote:I doubt Funimation will have any interest in putting this on an official release. As far as I'm aware there's no precedent of them ever selling other DB dubs aside from their own.
First, this isn't "another dub dub", it's the original Japanese version, that they've included for many, many years. I don't understand why you're talking about "other DB dubs"? Besides, you're wrong, they sold parts of the Latin American Spanish DBZ dub. But this has nothing to do with the original broadcast audio...

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:34 am

Interesting stuff. I, for one, am still actively hoping for this to come to fruition. It's a real shame that Kei, for whatever reason, isn't interested in what I'd literally consider the most important project in the fandom. His prerogative though. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, no sense in worrying about it.
Retired.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:36 am

sangofe wrote: First, this isn't "another dub dub", it's the original Japanese version, that they've included for many, many years. I don't understand why you're talking about "other DB dubs"? Besides, you're wrong, they sold parts of the Latin American Spanish DBZ dub. But this has nothing to do with the original broadcast audio...
Maybe you didn't read my post? I talked about both the Harmony Gold dub and original broadcast audio. I only used other dubs as a brief (and relevant) example of why the Harmony Gold dub has very little chance.

The Latin American Spanish DBZ dub is a nice example but there's a big difference between releasing DBZ with a different language option versus releasing an alternative English audio track. Funimation have not done this with DB/Z/GT before, as far as I'm aware.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:44 am

I don't think Harmony Gold on an official release is likely, that's why I've all but ignored the topic since discussing here. It's neat, but why on Earth would anyone bother? This isn't like the "Rock the Dragon" Set, there's nothing marketable about the Harmony Gold Dub. It was an utter flop (the reasons why don't really matter), only a select corner of fandom even know what it is.
Retired.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:There's nothing marketable about the Harmony Gold Dub. It was an utter flop (the reasons why don't really matter), only a select corner of fandom even know what it is.
I disagree, the Harmony Gold dub would be somewhat marketable because of the fact most people don't know that it exists (that and it's a piece of the history of DB in America so that alone should be enough of a reason to include it on an official DB release at least once), it would also give anime fans a glimpse into how dubbing practices for DB have changed since the 80's.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:10 pm

NitroEX wrote:The only fan provided source I could see them realistically using would be the Japanese broadcast audio, but even that is highly unlikely given that Toei would have to approve it first. And judging by how Japanese companies already omit certain things from English releases to avoid reverse importing, they wouldn't dare let Funimation have better audio than their own domestic product. If it's not in their best interest, chances are they're not going to do it.
You're forgetting how little Toei seem to care about the technical aspects of releases.
Funi have been releasing Blu-Rays of Z since 2011, and Toei has never tried to stop them.
Funi have been releasing EQ'd versions of the Japanese audio on their BDs that sound much better than the raw audio, and Toei has never tried to stop them.
Hell, Toei didn't put any of Dragon Ball out on DVD until 2003, by which time Funi had already released basically all of Z bilingual on DVD.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:You're forgetting how little Toei seem to care about the technical aspects of releases.
If that's the case why don't they want R1 DVD releases of their shows to be R2 compatible as well?
Robo4900 wrote:Funi have been releasing Blu-Rays of Z since 2011, and Toei has never tried to stop them.
That's because FUNi has inferior 2nd or 3rd generation film masters compared to Toei who have the original 16mm film negatives, so Toei can afford to let FUNi experiment and release Blu-ray versions of the show because Toei knows that regardless of what FUNi does they'll always have the advantage because they have the better visual materials to work with.
Robo4900 wrote:Funi have been releasing EQ'd versions of the Japanese audio on their BDs that sound much better than the raw audio, and Toei has never tried to stop them.
That's probably because while the EQ'd audio does indeed sound better Toei knows that it's still sourced from the optical tracks they provided FUNi as opposed to fan home recordings of the initial Japanese broadcast which are based around the cinetapes.
Robo4900 wrote:Hell, Toei didn't put any of Dragon Ball out on DVD until 2003, by which time Funi had already released basically all of Z bilingual on DVD.
Can you really blame Toei for that? Don't forget DB/Z/GT is a 508 episode franchise (at least back in the early 2000's) and DVD's were just stating to become more common and accepted as a video format in Japan around that time, so it would make sense that Toei would wait until they knew there was a good enough of a market demand for the series before putting it out on DVD.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:00 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:You're forgetting how little Toei seem to care about the technical aspects of releases.
If that's the case why don't they want R1 DVD releases of their shows to be R2 compatible as well?
Robo4900 wrote:Funi have been releasing Blu-Rays of Z since 2011, and Toei has never tried to stop them.
That's because FUNi has inferior 2nd or 3rd generation film masters compared to Toei who have the original 16mm film negatives, so Toei can afford to let FUNi experiment and release Blu-ray versions of the show because Toei knows that regardless of what FUNi does they'll always have the advantage because they have the better visual materials to work with.
Robo4900 wrote:Funi have been releasing EQ'd versions of the Japanese audio on their BDs that sound much better than the raw audio, and Toei has never tried to stop them.
That's probably because while the EQ'd audio does indeed sound better Toei knows that it's still sourced from the optical tracks they provided FUNi as opposed to fan home recordings of the initial Japanese broadcast which are based around the cinetapes.
Robo4900 wrote:Hell, Toei didn't put any of Dragon Ball out on DVD until 2003, by which time Funi had already released basically all of Z bilingual on DVD.
Can you really blame Toei for that? Don't forget DB/Z/GT is a 508 episode franchise (at least back in the early 2000's) and DVD's were just stating to become more common and accepted as a video format in Japan around that time, so it would make sense that Toei would wait until they knew there was a good enough of a market demand for the series before putting it out on DVD.
You're vastly overestimating how much of a damn Toei gives. Firstly, region locking isn't something that costs a ton of money one way or another, it's just common practice, that's the beginning and end of it. Secondly, Funimation's masters aren't worse enough that the average buyer would know the difference, there's no cause to think that Toei would be influenced on way or the other. Thirdly, why would Toei care if Funimation using the source that they gave them? It's a business relationship, not a marriage, Toei literally has no cause for concern.

Your objections are a stretch
Retired.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 pm

genjosanzo8 wrote:
DerekPadula wrote: Another Dragon Ball fan besides Kei sent me some high quality audio captures of the episodes that are much better than the Dragon Box audio. I then delivered them to Sabat.
to tell the truth it's a leak, it's definitely kei's audio and not audio from another source....that audio have been used and share without kei's permission...i found that very very very bad to him....it's HIS audio, collecting tapes are HIS work even if he didn't wanted to send them to sabat no one should have done it instead of him...it's HIS rights...i am the first to wanted them too but things have to be done by the right way....it's really sneaky doing that to kei.
if someone manage to get the audio he just have to keep for himself until kei said other things ....would you love that someone sell your work from his own without your agreement? i know that kei audio are not his property from a legal way but i think that with all information and material that he shared he deserve better things than taking opportunity of what he gave to someone that like a big asshole trade and sell illegaly kei's audio, to make the same things by using them without his agreement
You're wrong Genjo. Kei received them as audio files from someone else. I'm not sure how Kei17 feels about this matter but he might not be that bothered. He already knows the person who helped Derek attain this audio was insolent and a liability, so Kei didn't give out the stuff that HE digitized which were higher quality. My source tells me that if this audio is ever released, then us fans should expect sync issues and this irritating buzzing sound that appears during character dialogue. And also, it's not the full 1-291 apparently. One of the episodes supposedly has the entire first half missing and only Kei17 has that first half.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 am

Kei has thé tapes hé frequently show vidéo footage and say hère before in thé first topic that hé has thé whole dbz recording from someone of his famille not audio only

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:25 am

Strangely it occur right when kei dissapear ....i djust think that if it is his audio no other than him should take thé crédit from this