Dragonball Errors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Errors

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:Now that some manga errors are being posted, as well, I'm interested. Are there more? (ART related errors, I mean.)
Its Toriyama, there are a lot of errors in the manga. lol If you really want to pick it apart, you can generally find something wrong on each page...or at least every chapter if he is having a good week. xD
Maybe once a chapter, but I just looked through a bunch of random pages and didn't find any that were consecutive.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 am

Perfect wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:Now that some manga errors are being posted, as well, I'm interested. Are there more? (ART related errors, I mean.)
Its Toriyama, there are a lot of errors in the manga. lol If you really want to pick it apart, you can generally find something wrong on each page...or at least every chapter if he is having a good week. xD
Maybe once a chapter, but I just looked through a bunch of random pages and didn't find any that were consecutive.
I'm sure he wasn't being literal. Unless you want to get really picky, then I'm sure you'd find the minute discrepancies in the size proportions and the like, which is perfectly natural for all artists... as it's impossible to draw a character exactly the same way every time in a row, even for a Character Artist God like Akira Toriyama.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 am

Yeah, its an exaggeration, but it is sort of true as well. Sometimes it depends on what you consider an error. Like one panel of SS2 Gohan during the Cell Games has a very lopsided hairline. Toriyama may have drawn it like that intentionally, but the fact that his forehead is like 2 centimeters higher on one side of his bang than the other...well, thats an error IMO.

But for the most part, for things that are colored wrong, or not colored at all, added pupils, wrong symbols, etc. Sometimes you can go like 4 chapters with everything being fairly consistent, but then the next chapter will have at least one error on every other page. It really just depends.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:25 am

I don't consider it an error if it was intentionally drawn to be that way.

What chapter are you referring to that has an error on every page? I haven't quite been able to find one.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:41 am

How about this one? Look at the scene from the Vegeta VS. Recoome battle. After Recoome knocks Vegeta to the ground with his elbow, he follows up with a punch. Vegeta jets off into the air, flying away to avoid the blow. Recoome quickly takes flight after Vegeta.

Look at the panel in which Recoome is launching himself off of the ground in pursuit of Vegeta. Doesn't Recoome look... a little misproportioned (to say the least?) :lol:

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:49 am

That? If so, no. He looks fine.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 am

Yeah, that. The panel in the bottom right of this page. There's nothing fine about that. Look how stubby his limbs now appear to his elongated torso. He looks... incredibly akward. This is a good example of prespective gone wrong. Also, why is his chest buging out that far, in that pose? Very akward looking.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:04 am

Subjective. He's just at a weird angle; his left thigh's showcasing both the left underside and back (which is tilted). His left thigh is also flexing, of course.
Red - underside
Green - underside transition, slanting to the right.
Puple - background body

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 am

Yes, however it looks like you've "fixed him up" a bit with your overline trace. The original image, the underside portion simply looks out of proportion. I mean, what is going on in that area, it looks almost as if he's beginning to sprout a tiny pair of extra arms, like the Queen Alien. I know what is going on with single-point prespective in that image, but his arms still look out of proportion... anyway, my eyes just don't react well to that panel. Upon first glimpse, my brain asks me "What.. is that!?" :)

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:09 am

FindKenshi wrote:Yes, however it looks like you've "fixed him up" a bit with your overline trace. The original image, the underside portion simply looks out of proportion. I mean, what is going on in that area, it looks almost as if he's beginning to sprout a tiny pair of extra arms, like the Queen Alien. I know what is going on with single-point prespective in that image, but his arms still look out of proportion... anyway, my eyes just don't react well to that panel. Upon first glimpse, my brain asks me "What.. is that!?" :)
I didn't "fix it" really, I just pointed out why his body appears elongated and stubby. Anyhow it's not an error, it's just a perspective drawing subjective to interpretation.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:12 am

I think we'll both agree it looks awkward at first glance? It can be reasonably assumed it was not supposed to look awkward, so that could be considered an error... of sorts. I don't know, though, let's let the rest of the community be the judge? I think he looks strange as HFIL in that drawing, but maybe others see differently?

The Young Girl / Old Woman optical illusion gimmick comes to mind.

Going to edit in some further thoughts. I guess Toriyama is trying to convey just how huge Recoome is in this shot, and he wanted to play with prespective a bit. It could be he's trying to represent some kind of fish-eye effect, in which his arms are already "way out there" while his leg is still close to the "camera", because of his titantic girth. I just don't think his torso looks right though, but it may be that optical illusion effect playing with my head.
Last edited by FindKenshi on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 am

I didn't think anything of it at first glance, which is why I didn't know what panel you were referring to. Something being awkward is really just based on interpretation. I think if it were shaded, it wouldn't look awkward to you.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 am

Man, I wish I still had my old computer, I used to have a ton of manga mistakes saved on there. Here's a fun one for somebody to hunt for: there's a panel where Toriyama drew Kaio with Chaozu's hat on. Probably during Goku and Freeza's fight? It's been a while...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:21 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Man, I wish I still had my old computer, I used to have a ton of manga mistakes saved on there. Here's a fun one for somebody to hunt for: there's a panel where Toriyama drew Kaio with Chaozu's hat on. Probably during Goku and Freeza's fight? It's been a while...

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:25 am

Hah! That is hilarious...
We can really get a grip on just how busy Mr. Toriyama was with Dragon Ball, it must have been so difficult to keep up with the dead lines and pump out a new chapter every week. And drawing all the characters and their various apparel so much, he happens to make a typo and puts Chaotzu's hat on Kaio... but the result is comedy brilliance.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 am

That was quick! Thanks! That picture cracks me up...

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:30 am

It's really amazing though, how you just don't notice these things right off the bat. It's like when you're driving, and you go into a "semi-conscious" state, your brain is just on cruise control, isn't it? We see Kaio's face and signature glasses, and our brain just instantly identifies him as Kaio, and moves on to whatever else there is to see in the panel.

Think how amazing a panel-by-panel review of Dragon Ball would be... all the little details you could marvel over if forced to focus on only just a single panel for a day at a time.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:34 am

Also notice that he doesn't have any antennae... It's kind funny that most people would miss that. How did Toriyama gloss over that?

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 am

Lol, that is pretty hilarious. I would love to know the back story to all these manga errors!

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:14 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:That was quick! Thanks! That picture cracks me up...
No problem. I initially searched through every shot of him throughout the Goku and Freeza fight, finding no trace of any errors revolving around his hat. Then I went lookin' around when the Ginyu Force came in and it finally popped up right around when Piccolo was being wished back.

If anyone else has a vague sense of where an error might be, I can go ahead look for it.