Things You're Glad Toei Isn't Doing?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Re: Things You're Glad Toei Isn't Doing?

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:40 pm

I'll be fine with a new series but only if it has the same characters. Dragon Ball is a series that's less about the story and more about the characters which we've grown to identify and love. So, say Toei creates a story based on Dragon Ball Heroes or Dragon Ball Online where the original Z-Fighters are long gone or whatever, I wouldn't be too happy with it. But if they were to do something like, an alternate re-telling of DB with a feudal Japan theme or ancient China theme or something, I'd watch it because it's new and still have the characters I'm familiar with. Son-kun sells.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm glad they aren't doing anything more with Broli.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Scarz wrote:I don't know why there are some people against a new series. I'm all for it, whether it's about new characters or old. As for things I'm happy that Toei isn't doing, I honestly don't know. In my opinion they're not doing enough.
I'm against a new series because of what happened with GT. I don't really have faith in them to do better.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Actually it would be nice to see Goku passing the mantle to younger generation. Poor Gohan was told to be such a prodigy and then demoted to extra.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Chuquita wrote:Any type of "next generation" series that follows an entirely brand new cast of characters who are supposed to "sorta" remind you of the old cast while simultaneously trying to take their place. That sort of thing just kills my interest since DB is one of those shows that I got into because of the characters. I don't care about Goku's distant future-relatives and I'm glad Toei doesn't either.
I agree. Couldn't have said it better myself.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Scarz wrote:I don't know why there are some people against a new series. I'm all for it, whether it's about new characters or old. As for things I'm happy that Toei isn't doing, I honestly don't know. In my opinion they're not doing enough.
Well, you have people like me, who don't mind a new series, but as long as it takes place before or not that long after the 28th Budokai, because in my opinion, after hearing about GT, I don't think there is that much new material left.

I would like some more specials, maybe something involving Uub's training. Goku trying to teach Uub how to use the Genki Dama or the Kamehameha would be a cool special. Something involving 12-13 year old Gohan and toddler/child Goten would be good. Last but not least, we need this.

What I'm glad they aren't doing? I'm glad they're not doing any Broly specials, that's pretty much it, though.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 am

I'm glad Toei's not trying to add extra material AFTER the Dragon Ball universe has ended, opting instead to put them in between times of peace or in Bardock's case, before any of these events even occur.

In terms of a new series, I wouldn't mind it being an alternate universe sort of thing, because I'm not sure what more could be done with this existing universe that won't make the characters seem too hax in power. But if they were to do that, however, it has to be something they'd actually have to put effort into, not some copy-paste job like Kai.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 am

Eire wrote:Poor Gohan was told to be such a prodigy and then demoted to extra.
Because he would've been crap in the role as hero anyway. He wasn't a fighter at heart and, even at the Cell Games, still needed the encouragement of his dead father to defeat Cell. Apart from his strength, Gohan is an Earthling at heart, not a pure-blood Saiyan or a Namekian, so he's bound to end up having, you know, a normal life like the rest of the Earthlings. And we even see that with Goten and Trunks, two other children that Goku had tried and failed to pass the mantle down to, since Goten had been slacking off in those 10 years and would rather go on a date than enter the tournament. And judging by Trunks' reaction, he didn't want to enter the tournament either.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Because he would've been crap in the role as hero anyway. He wasn't a fighter at heart and, even at the Cell Games, still needed the encouragement of his dead father to defeat Goku.
Whoa, when did THAT happen? :o
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Because he would've been crap in the role as hero anyway. He wasn't a fighter at heart and, even at the Cell Games, still needed the encouragement of his dead father to defeat Goku.
I can't wait to see that episode! :lol:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:12 pm

So... Turles is the real Father?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:27 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Only EVERY time he was given any kind of spotlight lol.

Remember that one time that he was supposed to take a shot at Nappa and be a team player? Runs behind a rock
And what about that time he turned into the strongest in the universe (supposedly) and everyone told him to end Cell? Becomes a cocky douche and blows it. Beats Cell with Goku's help.
Or even that time where he became the STRONGEST IN THE UNIVERSE and was given the chance to end Buu? Blows it, gets absorbed by Buu, no less, and forces Goku to become the hero again.

Anybody need episode numbers for those? :P
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 pm

To be fair Gohan only got absorbed because of Goku's distraction. Plus when you think about it the fusion was about to end in Buu's body so even if Goku didn't show up there's a chance Gohan would of beaten Buu.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:51 pm

NitroEX wrote:To be fair Gohan only got absorbed because of Goku's distraction. Plus when you think about it the fusion was about to end in Buu's body so even if Goku didn't show up there's a chance Gohan would of beaten Buu.
We can also blame Gotenks for being absorbed...but when he's the nº1 strongest living being in the universe, standing there and watch it happen still qualifies under "Gohan, what the f*ck do you think are you doing?"

Anyway, I'm glad Toei isn't desperately making something new "just becase" and to forcibly squeeze more money from the franchise.
Until Toriyama does something new with Dragon Ball, or Toei convinces him to, these specials every now and then will do fine. With that said....NEKO MAJIN is related to Dragon Ball. How they haven't animated (or released the manga in english, Viz that is) both makes no sense and blows my mind.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:06 pm

Rukura wrote:Only EVERY time he was given any kind of spotlight lol.

Remember that one time that he was supposed to take a shot at Nappa and be a team player? Runs behind a rock
And what about that time he turned into the strongest in the universe (supposedly) and everyone told him to end Cell? Becomes a cocky douche and blows it. Beats Cell with Goku's help.
Or even that time where he became the STRONGEST IN THE UNIVERSE and was given the chance to end Buu? Blows it, gets absorbed by Buu, no less, and forces Goku to become the hero again.

Anybody need episode numbers for those? :P
Piccolo Daimao wrote:He wasn't a fighter at heart and, even at the Cell Games, still needed the encouragement of his dead father to defeat Goku.
*Whoosh*
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Y'know, technically that statement is somewhat true, seeing as Cell does have cell's from Goku. Hehe.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:24 pm

I agree since a new series could work and could something totally new then a direct sequel to GT. What I'm glad they aren't doing? I don't know, making special editions of the DBZ series and adding stuff to them?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:45 pm

Rukura wrote:
NitroEX wrote:To be fair Gohan only got absorbed because of Goku's distraction. Plus when you think about it the fusion was about to end in Buu's body so even if Goku didn't show up there's a chance Gohan would of beaten Buu.
We can also blame Gotenks for being absorbed...but when he's the nº1 strongest living being in the universe, standing there and watch it happen still qualifies under "Gohan, what the f*ck do you think are you doing?"
Well, Gohan repeatedly told the boys not to fuse, and knew something was up. Stupid boys didn't listen.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:06 am

Gonstead wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Not to challenge your opinion but what else can they do? :lol: we have already seen Goku & Vegeta reach their max lol
Doesn't have to be a fighting series.

For all I care, it could just be a slice of life genre with DBZ characters during the 7 year long peace.

That's actually not a bad idea...
*cough*Oolong and Roshi spin off comedy*cough*
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:01 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Not to challenge your opinion but what else can they do? :lol: we have already seen Goku & Vegeta reach their max lol
Doesn't have to be a fighting series.

For all I care, it could just be a slice of life genre with DBZ characters during the 7 year long peace.

That's actually not a bad idea...
*cough*Oolong and Roshi spin off comedy*cough*
I'd prefer, as some other have suggested, Mr. Satan and Boo.

They could call it Boo and a Half Men, Majin in the Middle, or even Everybody Loves Satan.