How do you feel about Gokuism?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How do you feel about Gokuism?

Post by Perfect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 pm

So I heard about the supposed religion of Gokuism today. A lot of the apparent followers seem to suggest this "region" is superior to all others, because Goku is the superior being out of every religion. From what I can tell there's two "sects" of this, the very literal end where some people seem to think Goku is real and if you believe in him, much like Jesus, then you'll be granted access to the afterlife (and if you're good in life and train hard you'll be allowed to train with Kaio-sama).
The other end seems to be a bit more philosophical, nothing I'd call short of an altercation of some weird twist off a Vedic faith. I say this because there's nothing explicitly spiritual such as, "You'll be granted this in the afterlife if you do this, etc.," It seems to just more or less be, "You can be like Goku and have a richer life is you acquire these morals and try living life like this, but hear us, Goku is our savior and he saved the world for us!"

I don't really see the point in this at all to be honest. Sure I've learned a great deal from Dragon Ball and it's gave me some moral guidance as a kid that helped me form a lot of what I believe in now, but isn't this a bit ridiculous? One of the arguments is that "Jesus is fictional, so why can't we worship Goku?" Well for starters, Jesus was a real person from what 99% of historians say is documented proof (granted a lot of them state they wouldn't be surprised if he didn't exist, but from what they have, the evidence suggests he was a man on the planet Earth during that time period). The main conflict is whether or not he was spiritual in any way, shape or form. Unlike Goku, who was created in the mind of a man that wanted to create a comic book because he liked drawing and wanted to make money.

I don't see too much of anything wrong from a philosophical point of view, but not in the way that Gokuism seems to revolve in. I mean, if you learn something from him or the series or it influences you in some way or another, cool join the millions it already has. However, the "philosophy" here is that Goku saved the world and defeated evil and therefore should be characterized as a savior. I'd like to not think a fictional character that I know is absolutely 100% fabricated a savior. I feel like this is the Church of Elvis all over again.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goku-ism
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gokuism
http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/spir ... h-of-goku/
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=11558008181
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gokuism-T ... 1251818808
Last edited by Perfect on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: How do you feel about Gokuism?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Son is a great character, but as a god? I'd prefer to have someone more intelligent than him, Cell or Freeza.

"The belief that goku is the great leader of all. Not that he is holy...just a moralistic person"

Eh, really? That's more fitting with Vegeta, Cell or Freeza.

Dameon Clarke definitely made Cell's awesomeness go even beyond! Chris Ayres to Freeza, too.

So, who would I choose as a god?

Cell or Freeza (They were enemies, I know), Freeza and then Cell. Kind of hard to choose which one takes the first and the second spot. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Well Cell is a perfect system, and therefore from what I assume is immortal unless killed by a powerful opponent. He'd be more fitting for the title of a god, even if he'd be an evil one.
Last edited by Perfect on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 pm

I've never heard of this before. And of all characters, Goku? The character who turned down a deity job offer? I'd think if any DB character were to somehow gain that type of following it'd be Piccolo or Vegeta.

There are only two anime series that I've heard/read of something similar happening, and both are more otaku-centric shows that do touch on characters with godly powers, and that'd be the title characters from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Seems odd to hear this happening to a shounen series character.
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Um, ok, wow.
:shock:

Don't know what else to say.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Sign me up! Fonzieism is getting a little stale... Aaaaeeeyyy-men!
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 am

That's a little ridiculous. I mean, at least with Jesus, even if he wasn't a real person (note: I'm not saying I do or don't believe, this is merely a statement), there's a CHANCE that he was, but with Goku there is 100% no doubt that he is fictional. He was dreamed up by a comic book artist! There's absolutely no way whatsoever that choosing to believe in an animated character would grant you access to some version of the afterlife (unless Toriyama is some kind of theological prophet and we just don't know it, but I digress). Sure, Dragon Ball has some values worth learning, but you can apply them to life without turning it into an all-out religion. What ever happened to just trying to be a good person?

Do some people actually really take this seriously or is this just some kind of elaborate joke?
Trans rights, now!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 am

seems to me that the crazy anime fans are hitting a new Plato :P And I'm not making fun of their religion because I follow Christianity and I don't believe in mocking someone else's religion but I mean Come on :?

Goku's ark

I will admit this did make me laugh :D They took a verse from the bible and made it work for them :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 am

I'm completely on board the Gokuism train. Goku sacrificed his life on Kaio's planet for our sins!

Really though, people will believe what they want to believe, and they should as long as their beliefs aren't negatively affecting others. That's the beauty of the human mind. I connect much more strongly to DB than any religion, so if anything, I believe in Gokuism.... or Trunksism.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 am

You could find a more worthy deity to worship than a complete asshole like Goku. I mean, even Ares would be a better choice.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 am

Gokuism, huh?

Is that Scientology's new name?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 am

Krakabeast wrote:I'm completely on board the Gokuism train. Goku sacrificed his life on Kaio's planet for our sins!

Really though, people will believe what they want to believe, and they should as long as their beliefs aren't negatively affecting others. That's the beauty of the human mind. I connect much more strongly to DB than any religion, so if anything, I believe in Gokuism.... or Trunksism.
Instead of taking Destructive Cell to Kaio-sama's place and ruining his life, he damn sure could of left him in some planet that no one lived in. The end of the world where Kami-sama was left by his parents would have served definitely!
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:04 am

Are you sure that people there are serious? Religion started as facebook account?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:43 am

Rocketman wrote:You could find a more worthy deity to worship than a complete asshole like Goku. I mean, even Ares would be a better choice.
Some people may feel the same about Jeovah...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 am

Fox666 wrote:Some people may feel the same about Jeovah...
Each religion has their own "version", I always thought JW's (Jehovah's Witness) and C's (Christians) had many thins in common, but according to a comparison not much.

I don't believe a god actually exists, so you could say I'm an atheist.

It's funny the person who wrote that misspelled "then" for "than" twice. :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Any reglion is bad, and especially one built on a comic character!

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Rocketman wrote:You could find a more worthy deity to worship than a complete asshole like Goku. I mean, even Ares would be a better choice.
Just curious but why is Goku an asshole?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:38 pm

sangofe wrote:Any reglion is bad, and especially one built on a comic character!
Those fanboys of religions go apeshit if someone questions where is god, if he actually exists, why this why that, bla bla and bla.

Then they come up with quotes from the book/bible.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I can honestly say that I'm proud to believe in God and I've never shoved my opinion on someone else so if you don't believe that's fine with me. I got lots of atheist friends. But I don't think religion is ''Bad'' It just depends who's behind it. anytime some crazy christian person says or does something the news tears them apart. they never report the good things religious people do. but then again how many times do people love to hear good stories.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Gokuism?

What's next? Son Goku displayed as some sort of monkey deity type of figure?

Oh...
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)