Why the different animation styles for the TV series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Why the different animation styles for the TV series?

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 am

My apologies if this topic has already been brought up in the past. But, I've always wondered about this. Maybe the knowledgeable enthusiasts, here, can help me understand.

We're all aware that our beloved anime has some shitty-looking episodes here and there. But why was it like this?

Why couldn't there have been just one, or even just two, animation artist(s) that worked on the DB and DBZ series' (even DBGT)??

Seems like there were maybe 5 or 6 different artists in total. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Craddle
Regular

Re: So... Why the different animation styles for the TV seri

Post by Craddle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:08 am

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:We're all aware that our beloved anime has some shitty-looking episodes here and there. But why was it like this?
Are you referring to the different animation styles of each animator? (Just want to be sure before responding.)

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:Why couldn't there have been just one, or even just two, animation artist(s) that worked on the DB and DBZ series' (even DBGT)??

Seems like there were maybe 5 or 6 different artists in total. Correct me if I'm wrong.
There's a lot more than 5 or 6. And it's not just artists, it's entire studios. Why it couldn't have been just two, I'm going to assume because that way it would take forever to get to places. Here, you just assign each studio a few episodes and it gets done faster. Everything had to be done on a weekly basis, which is also why it tends to look like ass.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:33 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:Why couldn't there have been just one, or even just two, animation artist(s) that worked on the DB and DBZ series' (even DBGT)??

There's a lot more than 5 or 6.
I didn't bother to count, but it may be in the thousands.

http://www.kanzentai.com/production.php

If you go to the bottom of that page and click the credits for each section and add each of them up, I bet it's close.

They were very vague in their OP.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 am

I've been watching my Dragon Boxes, and it just frustrates me to watch some great looking animation, but then the next episode will look horrible compared to it. Know what I mean?

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 am

Craddle wrote:
Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:We're all aware that our beloved anime has some shitty-looking episodes here and there. But why was it like this?
Are you referring to the different animation styles of each animator? (Just want to be sure before responding.)
Whatever. I just want to know why all the episode couldn't look the same, animation-wise. That's all.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 am

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:I've been watching my Dragon Boxes, and it just frustrates me to watch some great looking animation, but then the next episode will look horrible compared to it. Know what I mean?
It's even worse in Kai when you have good animation and then bad animation literally a second later.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:45 am

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:I've been watching my Dragon Boxes, and it just frustrates me to watch some great looking animation, but then the next episode will look horrible compared to it. Know what I mean?
That's common in most long-running series. I've seen the same thing in a lot of shows: Naruto, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc. It's not just a DBZ thing; it's more of a cost-cutting, time-saving measure than anything, especially since there are no season breaks in Japan as there are here in America.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:47 am

Kiddo626 wrote:
That's common in most long-running series. I've seen the same thing in a lot of shows: Naruto, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc. It's not just a DBZ thing; it's more of a cost-cutting, time-saving measure than anything, especially since there are no season breaks in Japan as there are here in America.
Yeah. You have a good point there. I'm not into anime that much where I've seen a lot of other series'. So, I wasn't aware that it wasn't just a DBZ thing. Makes sense.

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:12 am

Does anyone know the deal with the super saiyan hair inconsistencies? Like sometimes it's gold and shadowed, and I think that looks great and has a wonderful sense of depth and dimension. Then other times it's white and flat, and I think that it looks really awful. I think it's one of the biggest reasons why I don't like the middle hundred or so episodes as much as the first (saiyans-Freeza) or third (Buu). Everyone was super saiyan all the time and it was this white hair and I found it unappealing.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:25 am

The hair's gold when there's some sort of an aura around them and white when there's not. The depth of the hair depends entirely on the animation studio.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:36 am

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:
Kiddo626 wrote:
Yeah. You have a good point there. I'm not into anime that much where I've seen a lot of other series'. So, I wasn't aware that it wasn't just a DBZ thing. Makes sense.
It's not even just an anime thing. It's standard practice in American cartoons as well. It's just not something one tends to notice all that much as a child. But now that I'm an adult, I look back at cartoons I saw as a kid and can't believe I couldn't tell how different the animation looked from episode to episode of, say, Batman The Animated Series. It's just what you have to do to meet deadlines.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 am

The animation of some early Namek episodes (Vegeta) did look odd, but more did on GT and DBZ EoB, which I wasn't very happy about. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why the different animation styles for the TV series?

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:52 am

The series was being produced on a limited budget, and aired on a weekly basis with no seasonal breaks. 1 or 2 studios wouldn't be able to handle that load, so they distribute it among multiple studios, and to save money, they hire a few that are subpar.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Get rid of Last House studio and the series would look fine. The triangle crap episodes usually look good in Dragonball, not so much in Z.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:31 pm

I think we've all noticed it especially now that we're older. There are episodes that are just beautiful to watch like the one where Freeza get's sliced in half or when 17 get's absorbed. Other times it just looks like poorly drawn fan art.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 am

Yeah. I guess it's just me paying more attention to detail now that I'm going back and watching the Z series all over again with the DBoxes, where as when I was younger, and watching these episodes for the first time, I was more interested in knowing what was going to happen next.

I don't mean to nitpick at my most favorite anime/cartoon like this. I just had to know why.

Thanks for all your replies, guys. 8)

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:41 pm

It's all down to time and money. The episodes with lower quality animation that look cheap are just that itself, cheap. You can see how 'important' episodes are usually done by the better studios, and episodes which have a lot of stills and talking rather than fighting/action are done by the shit studios. Since the manga was always there for the artists to copy, there's parts which even the worst studio still made ok-ish, but when a bad studio does filler the crap-ness really shows. Note, the episode where they're inside Buu's body, Goku and Vegeta touching cheeks, yeah that episode had some really badly drawn art, and there are many others.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:32 pm

I know what you mean, Bejita. I was kind of assuming that before I made this topic (time and money).

Ain't it crazy, though, how some of the ok'ish looking episodes had some of the craziest action sequences in them (i.e the fight between Piccolo and No. 17)?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:I know what you mean, Bejita. I was kind of assuming that before I made this topic (time and money).

Ain't it crazy, though, how some of the ok'ish looking episodes had some of the craziest action sequences in them (i.e the fight between Piccolo and No. 17)?
King Piccolo's fight got the low quality episodes while his minion's Tambourine and Drum got the highest quality studios to do the work. That's an odd choice.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada