Dragon Box English Audio Question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Box English Audio Question

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:29 pm

I was explaining to a fellow fan what the Dragon Boxes were and they asked me a question I didn't have the answer to, so I'm coming here with it as I'm sure someone here is more knowledgeable than me when it comes to the boxes.

"One thing I've always wondered about the Dragon Box sets is what dub did they use? The original FUNimation dub, or did they use the orange brick semi-redub?"

I'm guessing, when he says original FUNimation dub, that he's referencing the dub that first appeared on Toonami.
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: DragonBox question.

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm sorry for just posting ''Orange Bricks track'' only. My computer froze up. I believe I have heard from everyone that Funimation is just using their Orange Bricks track for the Dragon-Boxes & they are re-using them for the Blu-Rays.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Indeed, it's the exact same audio from the Orange Bricks of the English dub with Japanese soundtrack and the original Japanese Mono.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Dang, I was hoping they were the original FUNimation track. What's the different between them exactly?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Dang, I was hoping they were the original FUNimation track. What's the different between them exactly?
Almost nothing. It really is a "semi-redub," not a redub. A select few lines here and there were redubbed to either be more close to the original Japanese version or, at the very least, to tone down the "kidiness." For example...

ORIGINAL DUB FREEZA: "Any last words before you go the way of the dodo?"
ORANGE BRICK SEMI-REDUB FREEZA: "Any last words before I kill you?"

ORIGINAL DUB VEGETA: "In the mean time, make sure Freeza doesn't get a hold of those Dragon Balls, or else we're all really hooped."
ORANGE BRICK SEMI-REDUB VEGETA: "In the mean time, make sure Freeza doesn't get a hold of those Dragon Balls, or else I'm going to be really pissed."

These instances are few and far between, though. And as time goes on, the changes are even fewer. By far the most significant change is that Chris Sabat re-recorded all of his lines (until episode 118, the beginning of the Trunks saga). He re-recorded them in his current Vegeta voice, as opposed to the Vegeta voice that he started out with, which was an intentional effort to copy Brian Drummond's Vegeta (the previous actor who played Vegeta in the Ocean dub of DBZ). Sabat has gone on record as saying that he hated his "Drummond impression" voice.

As a matter of fact, here's a video showing how Sabat gradually changed his voice for the character. There used to be a video comparing the original dub to the orange brick semi-redub, which would have been slightly more appropriate for your question, but it appears to have been taken down.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 am

Here are also a few comparison videos.

Please just ignore the comments for your own sanity.

The Arrival of Goku - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcRWW-DIYgA

Arrival of The Ginyu Force - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTHiqxQH-3c

Burter and Jeice vs Goku - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMTVWbkbizM

Piccolo's Arm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUdGEDP3Fw

Vegeta's Wrath - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0bwFN-K9w

Recoome breaks Gohan's neck - www.youtube.com/watch?v=CccW9a72GJQ
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks guys for the video's and help. I've got one more question.

Was the musical score changed at all between the dubs or did they keep Bruce Faulconer's score?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:32 am

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Thanks guys for the video's and help. I've got one more question.

Was the musical score changed at all between the dubs or did they keep Bruce Faulconer's score?
The original Funimation dub was originally scored by Saban for the first 53 episodes (66 Uncut) while Episode 54 to 276 (67 to 291 Uncut) all had Faulconer Productions music.

The Redub for the first 66 episodes in the Orange Brick's had a different score composed by Nathan Johnson who did the soundtracks for Movie 12, 13, Movie 2 Redub and Movie 3 Redub. Everything after that is Faulconer Productions music.

The Dragon Boxes do not contain the English Dub music, only the English Dub with Japanese score + Orginal Japanese Mono.

If you want some more information, you can PM me and I'll answer any questions you've got.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 am

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Was the musical score changed at all between the dubs or did they keep Bruce Faulconer's score?
Bruce Faulconer did not do all the FUNimation US Music himself, it was the Faulconer Group, stop crediting only one person.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Was the musical score changed at all between the dubs or did they keep Bruce Faulconer's score?
Bruce Faulconer did not do all the FUNimation US Music himself, it was the Faulconer Group, stop crediting only one person.
Well to be fair, I don't think this poster intentionally snubbed the other people involved. It's a common misconception that Faulconer himself did all the music, due in no small part to the fact that "Bruce Faulconer," not "The Faulconer Group" is the name that appears in many of the credits, including the official listing of the songs on iTunes.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:40 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Bruce Faulconer did not do all the FUNimation US Music himself, it was the Faulconer Group, stop crediting only one person.
Why do you have your panties in a bunch? Were you a part of the Faulconer Group? I didn't think so.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well to be fair, I don't think this poster intentionally snubbed the other people involved. It's a common misconception that Faulconer himself did all the music, due in no small part to the fact that "Bruce Faulconer," not "The Faulconer Group" is the name that appears in many of the credits, including the official listing of the songs on iTunes.
Quoted for truth.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:lf, it was the Faulconer Group, stop crediting only one person.
Why do you have your panties in a bunch? Were you a part of the Faulconer Group? I didn't think so.[/quote]

No I'm not but giving the credits to the members of the group is the honest thing to do, regardless if it's Faulconer, or whatever.

It could get very ugly when the right people aren't credited (lawsuits).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Box English Audio Question

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Apparently you missed TheBlackPaladin's post as that's what happened. I didn't intentionally snub anyone.

I do find it incredibly hilarious though that you think someone would sue anyone over a little thing like this considering it's an INTERNET FORUM. No one would stand an ice cube's chance in hell at surviving a trial like this since the OFFICIAL release even misinterprets it. You'd be laughed right out of the courtroom. :lol:

Anyways, whoever wants to close this can, my questions been answered.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:A select few lines here and there were redubbed to either be more close to the original Japanese version or, at the very least, to tone down the "kidiness."
That, and in general overall poor acting.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Apparently you missed TheBlackPaladin's post as that's what happened. I didn't intentionally snub anyone.

I do find it incredibly hilarious though that you think someone would sue anyone over a little thing like this considering it's an INTERNET FORUM. No one would stand an ice cube's chance in hell at surviving a trial like this since the OFFICIAL release even misinterprets it. You'd be laughed right out of the courtroom. :lol:

Anyways, whoever wants to close this can, my questions been answered.
*facepalm* Not based online, but in real life.

Even online the encoders get into f-word discussions because the other stole the credits and then the original won't subtitle/upload any more.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Wanted to say;

When we say 'scored by Saban,' this means the company and not the man. The main guy behind the score was likely Ron Wasserman, with Shuky Levy supervising I think.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:*facepalm* Not based online, but in real life.

Even online the encoders get into f-word discussions because the other stole the credits and then the original won't subtitle/upload any more.
*double facepalm* So then what was your initial point of your first post? Just trying to be an ass or something?
Ashura wrote:Wanted to say;

When we say 'scored by Saban,' this means the company and not the man. The main guy behind the score was likely Ron Wasserman, with Shuky Levy supervising I think.
Haha! Someone to lighten the mood. I like you.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:39 pm

That would be considered copyright infringement (stealing). You really just don't get it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Namek'jin Ryu wrote:Haha! Someone to lighten the mood. I like you.
I try sir (ma'am?). I try.

Also...

I meant Shuki, not Shuky, oops. I'm surprised no one stabbed me in the face over my minor typo!
Last edited by Ashura on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Ashura wrote:I meant Shuki, not Shuky, oops.

I'm surprised no one stabbed me in the face over my minor typo!
I felt like correcting you, but it's a common mistake so it slides by unnoticed rather easily.