Fan Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:28 pm

If you were Toriyama, I'd be able to play as you in Tobal No. 1 :p
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:57 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:It looks really cool! I always wanted to see Goku and Uub's training! It reminds me of the fan-manga I did back in 8th grade, back in 1998, ha ha!
Hey, I was in 8th grade in '98 too! :)
Yeah, man! We were lucky, for us 4th grade was '94, 5th was '95, and so on... Easy to remember! :lol:
I'm so ashamed to admit I never made that connection! :oops:

I'm really enjoying this manga, but I feel you should have Uub know how to use teleportation (fuck whatever the dubs/subs call it :P ) himself. It's hard to believe Goku never showed it to him even once during a whole year of intensive training.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:45 pm

*orgasms* More! =D

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:39 pm

Dayspring wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote: Hey, I was in 8th grade in '98 too! :)
Yeah, man! We were lucky, for us 4th grade was '94, 5th was '95, and so on... Easy to remember! :lol:
I'm so ashamed to admit I never made that connection! :oops:

I'm really enjoying this manga, but I feel you should have Uub know how to use teleportation (fuck whatever the dubs/subs call it :P ) himself. It's hard to believe Goku never showed it to him even once during a whole year of intensive training.
I stayed true to the anime and Goku keeps this technique to himself. If Gohan doesn't qualify to learn it (whilst in the Time Chamber) then Uub doesn't, plus, I don't think I'm actually going to use Uub in that many battles, I have better ideas for battle ideas in my manga, I may bring Gotenks back, as an older person obviously.

More pages coming soon, not yet though, possibly tommorow.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:55 pm

Demi wrote:*orgasms* More! =D
Man, Demi, you must really love that manga! I mean, spraying fluids all over the place, and everything. Thank goodness none of it got on me. :)
Well, to get back on topic, I'd love to see even more of this great fan manga! :D

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:25 am

Cool manga you're making. I'm often interested in things like that to see how good a story and how many original ideas people can come up with. There was so much in DB that it's hard to imagine how many more types of power ups and attacks there could've been. :P

Uub looked more like he was firing a final flash than a kamehameha there because of how his hands are side by side, the kamehameha has always been done with one hand cupped on top of the other(I just think it's important to try getting that attack done right since it's the signature move of DB that's used all the time).
Bejiita wrote:I don't know if SSJ4 will be in it, even though Toriyama drew the design.
Did Toriyama really do the design of ssj4? I've mostly heard he didn't. Maybe that scan of the pg with the ssj4 Character design from the Dragonbook I posted in that other topic answers who designed it(if only somebody would hury and try translating it...).

If you were to go into a ssj4 concept, you could make up your own that follows the pattern of the first ones(each being a form that simply surpasses the last), though it seems hard to come up with many more changes in the design, the only further changes I could imagine is more spiky hair(like when a ssj turns ssj2 and it gets more devided and spiky, the several large chunks ssj3 has could become countless spiky strands and no strand going down in the front) and blank pupils(kind of like Broly had). Or you could try improving GT's concept. I kind of think of that "ssj4" in GT as an idea that had great potential but was put to waste, it could've been so much better if they just used their heads a bit more. I heard it's purpose was an idea to make Goku an adult again(they should've never even changed him back into a kid again in the first place). They chose to give it "magic clothes", if they wanted to avoid naked characters, they could've just used the already-invented concept of expandable clothes like what Vegeta often wore. I'll never understand why they chose for it to have red fur... It would've made more sense and looked a lot cooler if they had kept the gold color for all his hair/fur and green eyes(maybe with pupils like Goku had when ssj3 or just plain green like when ssj, and no red eye outlines(and since gold oozaru was like a ssj type power up of the oozaru form, in my oppinion it should've had green color eyes instead of remaining red, too). They should've had the properties of the form written in stone and kept it that way, at first it's like it can be maintained as long as needed like a transformation that takes nothing to remain in(Goku gets all worn out and even knocked out yet stays in it) and later on it's suddenly something they can't maintain too long. Since it's an oozaru-related form, it could've just been so that after the first time it's achieved, Goku's learns to make a fake moon himself like Vegeta could and learns to controll the transformations to change right into that at will for as long as there's the moon. And it could've had a better name than ssj4 since it was completely different than what any ssj forms were. In short: It was a great concept with craptacular execution.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:00 am

Perhaps you could bring in factors of the legendary SSJ legend, which could lead to the discovery of SSJ4, and maybe you could have Gohan invent a Brute Ray device. I know an adult Gotenks would look awesome. If you have an idea for a new enemy, pleease PM me about what may take place, trust me whn I say spoilers don't bug me. Can't wait for the new pages, keep it up and your work may be the stuff of legends.

POS1: 100 :D
14 years later

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:16 am

Did you know Toriyama did most of the character designs for the GT characters? Even most movie characters like Goku's dad and many others were Toriyama designs (i.e. Cooler, Bojack and even Brolli). He put writing by certain parts, like for Brolli, He drew a tail coming out from behind him and write that he didn't mind wether or not they added it, and he wrote not to be wearing Saiyan armor, since they were supplied by Freeza.

I did wan't to make an USSJ3, just as you said, it's like going beyond SSJ3 by ascending like Vegeta and Trunks did against Cell.

And as for spoilers, well, I don't want to promise anything and then cancel it(like I usually do) so it's best i keep plot details to myself (eg. now I've mentioned Gotenks I have to add him in if you get me). I will probably reveal some things as I go along though.

I'm off to college now.

Ja ne.
My DB Fan manga:
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:31 am

Bejiita wrote:Did you know Toriyama did most of the character designs for the GT characters?
Toriyama was only involved in the start of GT and did designs for a few things like that ship and Giru. I believe Nakatsuru did all the designs after that.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:05 pm

Metrite wrote:
Bejiita wrote:Did you know Toriyama did most of the character designs for the GT characters?
Toriyama was only involved in the start of GT and did designs for a few things like that ship and Giru. I believe Nakatsuru did all the designs after that.
Really? I always thought Toriyama did most of them, Dr. Myu looks like a Toriyama design, maybe Toriyama did the designs for the characters like Goten and everyone.
My DB Fan manga:

Holken
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Holken » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:51 pm

Wow! I see your fan-manga on Dragonball arena! Good job, really! :D
I'm drawing a fan manga too but she is in French
It is the page 33, 34 and 35!

http://img273.echo.cx/img273/3397/bdprotoss339og.png page33
http://img269.echo.cx/img269/5002/page343hn.png page34
http://img189.echo.cx/img189/3236/bdprotoss359my.png page35

bye!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:07 pm

I'll be very honest Holken, you've got talent. But your color job could use a little improvement. [It's not bad, but it's a little too bright. :wink: ]

One thing I am sad about though, is the lack of people recreating Akira Toriyama-sensei's work, from early DragonBall Z.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:34 pm

Holken wrote:Wow! I see your fan-manga on Dragonball arena! Good job, really! :D
I'm drawing a fan manga too but she is in French
It is the page 33, 34 and 35!

http://img273.echo.cx/img273/3397/bdprotoss339og.png page33
http://img269.echo.cx/img269/5002/page343hn.png page34
http://img189.echo.cx/img189/3236/bdprotoss359my.png page35

bye!
I like your art, you're better at proportions than I am, I still need practice, I just practiced faces, I am getting better at doing arms and stuff though.

I still haven't done anymore pages yet, I'm tired, and I'm spending days dossing about, I can't be assed literally.

But more pages are coming soon.

@lost in thought, I have a redrawn manga chapter of the goku and Piccolo Vs Raditz fight, the one wher it starts, I bought this manga ages ago and drew one chapter when I was bored(ages ago too) but didn't complete it until I picked it up a month ago, so half of it has significantly better art(the 2nd half) than the other half.

I could scan it if you want, it's 14 pages, a Viz comic copy.
My DB Fan manga:

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:36 pm

Well, if you'd like to scan them Bejiita that's at your own discretion, but if you'd like to show me, you don't have to scan them all, one or two pages would suffice.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:52 pm

Ok, here's 2 pages then, 14 pages is quite a lot to do.

These are from the better half.

My DB Fan manga:

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:18 pm

*applauds*
That's pretty damn good. Though I do see a bit of Late-Z' influence on your art, rougher edges and all. Be that as it may, it's still excellent.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:36 pm

lost in thought wrote:*applauds*
That's pretty damn good. Though I do see a bit of Late-Z' influence on your art, rougher edges and all. Be that as it may, it's still excellent.
Thanks, it's the best page I drew.

When you copy manga pages you have to draw all the panels good or it looks bodged, I don't really like the Raditz on the top left of page 1.
My DB Fan manga:

Demi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Demi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:50 pm

Where'd the other plot go?

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:13 pm

Demi wrote:Where'd the other plot go?
This isn't my manga, it's just a page I copied from the actual one.

I'm still making my own manga.
My DB Fan manga:

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:23 pm

Hey Holken... who's the evil Vegeto-looking Saiyan in your manga?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!