Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by crabshank1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 am you goes into the funimation direction, overbrightness, oversaturation or too much vibrant , even the color cast is stronger in the result
Or a much less tinted Final Chapters direction. Auto white balance is a real hurdle, manual for so many frames is a lot of work.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am

crabshank1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 am you goes into the funimation direction, overbrightness, oversaturation or too much vibrant , even the color cast is stronger in the result
Or a much less tinted Final Chapters direction. Auto white balance is a real hurdle, manual for so many frames is a lot of work.
so you choose to run away and overbright to "hide" the things? it's not really color correcting and Funimation already do that in their box

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am
so you choose to run away and overbright to "hide" the things? it's not really color correcting and Funimation already do that in their box
Only thing I'm trying to hide is dithering.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 am

crabshank1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am

Only thing I'm trying to hide is dithering.
but you talk about the white balance that is a pain (we all know that here), it's just the way you talk making me answering that cause of that you did that

but anyway it's not a less tinted , yours is on the left and tint is stronger

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Agreed. Whatever headway was being made earlier seems to have taken a step backwards. This is not good at all:
Orange Bricks galore.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I thought orange bricks were hated cos of detail loss, turns out it's the colours too looool, and I'm counting crushing the blacks and whites as detail loss.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

crabshank1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 pm I thought orange bricks were hated cos of detail loss, turns out it's the colours too looool, and I'm counting crushing the blacks and whites as detail loss.
To lay down what's wrong with them, here's the shortlist.
* Loss of detail due to the DNR removing grain & animation lines getting caught in the crossfire.
* Cropping to 16:9.
* Color brightening to hell & back that makes them look bleached.
* Color saturation that makes the overly brought colors even more bad
* Smearing to remove the grain

That's basically it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

crabshank1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 pm I thought orange bricks were hated cos of detail loss, turns out it's the colours too looool, and I'm counting crushing the blacks and whites as detail loss.
Well, I liked the intense colours in my screenshots. I could do another saturation and value remap shader to make the colours look less 'orange brick' and then I'd basically have two versions.

Plus I had an idea to fix the white balance better (thanks to hakaibills93's screenshot).

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am

crabshank1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am
Well, I liked the intense colours in my screenshots. I could do another saturation and value remap shader to make the colours look less 'orange brick' and then I'd basically have two versions.

Plus I had an idea to fix the white balance better (thanks to hakaibills93's screenshot).
it's only a screenshot, how to fix is not inside, about colours i really think you should give up "intense" colors, it's i am sure what everyone are saying here to you

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:39 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am
crabshank1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

it's only a screenshot, how to fix is not inside, about colours i really think you should give up "intense" colors, it's i am sure what everyone are saying here to you
The screenshot and what you said gave me the idea. Re. the colours: decisions, decisions.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 pm

After remembering a post I saw on Discord a while ago about NTSC-J having a different white point to NTSC (D93 vs D65), it got me thinking about the colour space of DBox.

So I found the RGB for D93: 206, 226, 255 (I checked other sources to get an exact value but if you go down to 9300K here http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/b ... color.html, you'll see it's pretty close) and then I white balanced an image of Black, that value and white:

And put those points in a remapping shader (using PC.601 to convert to RGB because it did the best job of toning down the crap in the hair + it was the full range) and got these results from Z E291:

I put the shader in my Github: https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... remap.hlsl

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 am

I tried using the Dr Dre's Color Marching, with Dragon Ball Kai as reference. But the only problem is the artifacts:

Episode 2, with 3d Lut Creator:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 am

Hugo2003DBZ wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 am I tried using the Dr Dre's Color Marching, with Dragon Ball Kai as reference. But the only problem is the artifacts:

Only problem?
some screenshots are fine but most aren't white balanced properly

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:23 am

Interesting...

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Hugo2003DBZ wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 am I tried using the Dr Dre's Color Marching, with Dragon Ball Kai as reference. But the only problem is the artifacts
I don't claim to be an expert but I've played around with Dr. Dre's tool a bit. I'd recommend trying turning up the smoothing parameter, I was getting artifacts and that seemed to fix it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 pm

I did a second method of changing the white point to D93, using an RGB<->Lab conversion (PC.601; Right is D93):

It imparts some heavy blue tint, but it did change the tint. It would be the first stage in the process.

Shader's here: https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... 20Lab.hlsl

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am

I just (re-)did a remapping version of my RGB <-> Lab conversion shader for NTSC -> NTSC-J and here're the results (mine on right):

It doesn't have the strong denoising effect that the RGB <-> Lab conversion does, but I feel like it's less destructive. So: decisions, decisions.

The shader's here: https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... remap.hlsl

N.B. the primaries for NTSC and NTSC-J are the same, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:34 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Hugo2003DBZ wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 am I tried using the Dr Dre's Color Marching, with Dragon Ball Kai as reference. But the only problem is the artifacts
I don't claim to be an expert but I've played around with Dr. Dre's tool a bit. I'd recommend trying turning up the smoothing parameter, I was getting artifacts and that seemed to fix it.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvhaGYIfy8

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:11 pm

After being stuck on white balancing for ages, I think I've found a solution, custom xy points in CIE 1931.

Pretty much all colour spaces are defined in terms of the above graph, and white points (e.g. D93, D65 etc.) and defined by xy coordinates on that graph.

So, in my shader https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... Point.hlsl, all you have to do it set the two values in Customxy:

And if you have debug on, change until the grey areas go black (it amplifies small differences):

Some parts are just different though...

Just need to get a crosshairs GUI to work now...

N.B. I'm working in PC.601.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Latest CC is E284:
https://youtu.be/k72SKpbmIwg

This is white point change, greyDitherSdv 7, crushing v1 0.06 hues and saturation (matched to uniform gradient with no gamma).

No S-curve on this because it was giving intense artefacts.

All in Rec601 because PC.601 looks washed out.

I also changed the audio technique, but I didn't do a cutoff limit so it equalised all the frequencies. That's why you can hear the buzzing of analogue TV.