Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by Trachta10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:48 pm

What do you think of this quality?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75D1syhm-k8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ZcB0VsXvo

I'm not sure but I think it was done by an AI Neural Networks being used to generate HQ textures, called Esrgan,
it's for video games but I guess it can be used for anime too.

Dragon Ball Final Bout Intro, the input quality is really bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c15ACdWcFHc

other good example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd_3wyRk4fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_fysUqVUlE

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 am

But I can't use that in my crap PC, so tried a software called Topaz Gigapixel AI which should look similar

Upscaled this random image to 4K

and this is what it shows

Maybe color correction is easier after enlarging the image :thumbup:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Both of these seem to be running into the same Funi issue of blurring the lines and colors together so that the image looks like a washed-out watercolor painting.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:27 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 am
The output kind of reminds me of how a cel looks when you flip it over...

This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:31 pm

When you see a cel scan close, most has dirt or normal imperfections. So maybe is normal if the output have imperfections to, even in colors.

Example of cel scan

This one is better showing those imperfections, and maybe that's mean is better showing true color?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 pm

I'll admit that these results are interesting, I'd like the Gigapixel shot if not for what looks to be a sort of haloing effect around defined lines. It's also kind of hard for me to reconcile tons of artificial detail, even if this method yields more perceived depth than the usual upscale.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm

Other example, vs the blu ray 2014

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 pm

^ Gigapixel seems more performant than Waifu and seems to be favored in various remastering projects here and there.
But while the result is more impressive and probably much less destructive, Waifu is easily accessible and free to anybody, that's a point to consider.
That's not the case with Gigapixel and his 99$ price for what could be just casual home entertainement (it would be nothing for a company to pay for a professional project, but a little less tempting for your everyday man wanting to do a one-off remastering project of sorts).

So it's the usual deal of "are you ready to pay to have better quality or will you stay with the more basic results for free?".
However, I would be curious to see more AI-upscaled pictures from Gigapixels and other AI programs deemed better than Waifu.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:07 pm

I made a color correction using Photoshop CS5 in an episode of Level Sets. I was inspired by the colors of Toei's remastering movie 1 last year.

Image Image

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm

A few dumb questions but:

1: Kai uses the exact same masters that the DBoxes use correct? So why does Boo Kai looks so hideous? I know Boo Kai obviously didn't get the same treatment Kai 1.0 did with Q-Tec, but why was it stretched to 16:9, why did it have that green tint, and why was the animation linework red and weird?

2. Isn't Kai 1.0 the best remaster of Z (not including the movies) we have to date other than the Level Sets and the new Bardock and Future Trunks TV special remasters? Why couldn't Toei just remaster all of Z using using the Q-Tec treatment (only they need to not do is to redraw frames because that was horrible) so we can finally have the definitive release? If i'm not mistaken the new remasters for the Bardock and Future Trunks TV specials have some DNR and crushed blacks don't they?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm 1: Kai uses the exact same masters that the DBoxes use correct? So why does Boo Kai looks so hideous? I know Boo Kai obviously didn't get the same treatment Kai 1.0 did with Q-Tec, but why was it stretched to 16:9, why did it have that green tint, and why was the animation linework red and weird?
Both are scanned from the same physical film into a digital video file, but exactly what they did to that digital video from there is where things diverge. DBox, they cleaned up some damage, applied some motion blur to reduce noise, and then called it a day. Gives us a very raw, very detailed, very sharp image. Though one prone to various issues that should have been fixed (screwy brightness/contrast, screwy colours, etc. etc.).
Kai 1.0 was given to Q-TEC, who cleaned up the picture, fixed the colours, and applied some heavy blurring to eliminate noise, giving us a very soft image.
Boo Kai was handled by Toei, who cropped the picture, applied some rather haphazard colour correction, used some automatic filters to remove dirt, dust, etc., applied some blurring to reduce noise, and thus gave us a cropped, soft, improperly colour-corrected image.
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm 2. Isn't Kai 1.0 the best remaster of Z (not including the movies) we have to date other than the Level Sets and the new Bardock and Future Trunks TV special remasters? Why couldn't Toei just remaster all of Z using using the Q-Tec treatment (only they need to not do is to redraw frames because that was horrible) so we can finally have the definitive release? If i'm not mistaken the new remasters for the Bardock and Future Trunks TV specials have some DNR and crushed blacks don't they?
Kai 1.0 is a bit crap, really. Its colours are rather nice, but it's far too soft. They blurred the image so heavily, its detail level is barely greater than the Dragon Box, even if the colours are usually better. Q-TEC just have something against grain, and end up softening the picture so much, it barely even qualifies as HD.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm 1: Kai uses the exact same masters that the DBoxes use correct? So why does Boo Kai looks so hideous? I know Boo Kai obviously didn't get the same treatment Kai 1.0 did with Q-Tec, but why was it stretched to 16:9, why did it have that green tint, and why was the animation linework red and weird?
Both are scanned from the same physical film into a digital video file, but exactly what they did to that digital video from there is where things diverge. DBox, they cleaned up some damage, applied some motion blur to reduce noise, and then called it a day. Gives us a very raw, very detailed, very sharp image. Though one prone to various issues that should have been fixed (screwy brightness/contrast, screwy colours, etc. etc.).
Kai 1.0 was given to Q-TEC, who cleaned up the picture, fixed the colours, and applied some heavy blurring to eliminate noise, giving us a very soft image.
Boo Kai was handled by Toei, who cropped the picture, applied some rather haphazard colour correction, used some automatic filters to remove dirt, dust, etc., applied some blurring to reduce noise, and thus gave us a cropped, soft, improperly colour-corrected image.
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm 2. Isn't Kai 1.0 the best remaster of Z (not including the movies) we have to date other than the Level Sets and the new Bardock and Future Trunks TV special remasters? Why couldn't Toei just remaster all of Z using using the Q-Tec treatment (only they need to not do is to redraw frames because that was horrible) so we can finally have the definitive release? If i'm not mistaken the new remasters for the Bardock and Future Trunks TV specials have some DNR and crushed blacks don't they?
Kai 1.0 is a bit crap, really. Its colours are rather nice, but it's far too soft. They blurred the image so heavily, its detail level is barely greater than the Dragon Box, even if the colours are usually better. Q-TEC just have something against grain, and end up softening the picture so much, it barely even qualifies as HD.
So what if Kai 1.0 didn't have intensive blur and redrawn frames? How would it fair then?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm So what if Kai 1.0 didn't have intensive blur and redrawn frames? How would it fair then?
It would be pretty good. The redrawn frames would still be an embuggerance, and the fact it's cut-down as Kai rather than the full Z run would lose it points, but in general, yeah, it'd be pretty decent.

Problem is, by the same hypothetical lens, one could say "The Dragon Boxes would be good if they had some competent colour correction". Even if the faults in something are largely down to one, major flaw, that flaw is still pretty bad.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Kai 1.0 was also largely a rotoscoped job, I'm pretty sure. Some shots are more obvious than others, since they traced over badly-drawn frames & I'm assuming manually when a computer probably took care of the rest of them.
2.0 was mainly just a slight clean-up of the footage, which, even in FUNi's shit remasters, aren't that badly screwed with as much as the first 3 arcs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm So what if Kai 1.0 didn't have intensive blur and redrawn frames? How would it fair then?
It would be pretty good. The redrawn frames would still be an embuggerance, and the fact it's cut-down as Kai rather than the full Z run would lose it points, but in general, yeah, it'd be pretty decent.

Problem is, by the same hypothetical lens, one could say "The Dragon Boxes would be good if they had some competent colour correction". Even if the faults in something are largely down to one, major flaw, that flaw is still pretty bad.
I'm actually working on creating a version of kai that replaces the redrawn frames with color corrected Dragon Box footage, I wasn't really aware of the blur being put there on purpose. is there a way to fix it or make it less noticeable? Because I want this edit to look as good as I can possibly make it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm actually working on creating a version of kai that replaces the redrawn frames with color corrected Dragon Box footage, I wasn't really aware of the blur being put there on purpose. is there a way to fix it or make it less noticeable? Because I want this edit to look as good as I can possibly make it.
Possibly a sharpening tool, or another editing tool that'll bring it more into focus. I'd also monitor how it does it if you use an automated process. It probably won't work like FUNi's does, since they also use a smearing tool to try to remove the grain & it looks like watercolors as a result.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:11 pm

It's difficult. You can experiment with some light sharpening and putting a grain plate on top, I suppose. But it'd take a really subtle hand to make it look any good and actually be a worthwhile improvement.

Personally, I'd just downscale it to 720p but make no other adjustments, then upscale the DBox to 720p and if it's too sharp-looking, blur it to fit the look of Kai. That should make the footage gel together decently. :)

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:48 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:11 pm

It's difficult. You can experiment with some light sharpening and putting a grain plate on top, I suppose. But it'd take a really subtle hand to make it look any good and actually be a worthwhile improvement.

Personally, I'd just downscale it to 720p but make no other adjustments, then upscale the DBox to 720p and if it's too sharp-looking, blur it to fit the look of Kai. That should make the footage gel together decently. :)
the footage I'm using is already at 720p so thankfully I don't need to downscale anything, but anyway thanks for the help, I'll try out what you said.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:35 am

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 pm

Some random color corrections. No clipping
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.