Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by crabshank1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Enigmo pointed out on Discord that there's a chroma (+ luma) shift in the pixels in some episodes of DBox. I made a shader here https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... shift.hlsl that can help to correct this (this is the only shader on in these shots):

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Uploaded a new video (that compression has made look shit): https://youtu.be/wLJ1wIgFkGY

This uses my latest shaders: Pixel shift, S-curves and dither more in dark areas (credit to JySzE on Discord for the idea). It also has pixel shifting and a white point change.

The goal was just to get the picture looking as clear as I could (like looking at the action through a window).

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Dragon Box:
Color Correction:

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:36 am

Just a small test using resolve and custom nodes for the eyes http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DWG6LNNX
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm

I think i figured out how to do this properly
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:45 am

Someone on a piracy website released batch of color corrected DBZ episodes, what's pretty questionable through, is that they said they will upload more, if people donate bitcoins...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 am

coola wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:45 am Someone on a piracy website released batch of color corrected DBZ episodes, what's pretty questionable through, is that they said they will upload more, if people donate bitcoins...
Definitely a scam. Realistically, it would have been ideal to not mention it at all; such things can only do better from exposure.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 am
coola wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:45 am Someone on a piracy website released batch of color corrected DBZ episodes, what's pretty questionable through, is that they said they will upload more, if people donate bitcoins...
Definitely a scam. Realistically, it would have been ideal to not mention it at all; such things can only do better from exposure.
Indeed, that looks to me like someone pulling a ripoff or scam because it sounds like a pretty fishy method of funding something of that type.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:42 pm

Scammer. Like, you should release your fan remaster for free, not begging for bitcoins.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:03 pm

jaisonas wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm I think i figured out how to do this properly
The sky during that fight isn't supposed to be so saturated, and in the second shot you somehow didn't correct the pink color cast on the clouds.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:03 pm The sky during that fight isn't supposed to be so saturated, and in the second shot you somehow didn't correct the pink color cast on the clouds.
You are wrong. the cloud not have color cast, the white in this shots is Vegeta armor. but the armor has no pink like clouds means the pink in clouds is not color cast.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Looks like he used the “select” tool and adjusted each major solid color manually. You can still see the original Dragon Box green outlining Vegeta’s hair, because his threshold setting for a solid color was not strong enough.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:41 pm

Here's roughly how it's supposed to look:

I removed the color cast by adjusting the levels, then I edited the sky colors by adjusting the hue of it.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:41 pm Here's roughly how it's supposed to look:

I removed the color cast by adjusting the levels, then I edited the sky colors by adjusting the hue of it.
It is good you are confident about your self but that is not "supposed" color. his one is more white balance than your.
in his one vegeta armor have 0-2 saturation value. in yours, vegeta armor saturation value is 6-7...the white in yours is more far from white than his. his one have more issues but your white balance is worse. sorry.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Uh... he didn't fix the white balance at all. Jaisonas manually changed all of the colors, which results in the clouds being pink and other, various issues. It's not a true color restoration job.

Besides... what does 1-2 values matter anyway? I did it by hand and stated it was a rough estimate. GIMP doesn't have a good color cast removal (its tool fucks with the contrast and saturation, which is definitely unwanted), so I did this by hand and by eye.

If a few extra blue values ruins the entire thing for you, then I'm sorry, but also you missed my point. Selecting areas of the film (and ignoring others) and adjusting those colors is not only not a feasible method of color correcting, but they did it wrong, causing the sky to look terrible. I don't see how jaisonas' is better than mine.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:20 pm I don't see how jaisonas' is better than mine.
Of course you don't you look like arrogant person.

I said his white balance is better than yours, and it is. Do you know what meaning of white balance? It's when white object become white. What is white? White is when saturation is zero. when saturation of Vegeta armor is clos to zero, it mean closer to white. like i said, his saturation value for white object is around 0-2. your saturation value for vegeta armor is 6-7. this just is simple evidence of white balance performance.

i said his cc have many problems, but he have balanced white. you have not. you get very angry but i said i am sorry.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:45 pm

It isn't white balanced though. Editing the colors of only certain objects in an image isn't white balancing.

He has parts that have more white, but it's not a white balance applied to the entire image.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:45 pm It isn't white balanced though. Editing the colors of only certain objects in an image isn't white balancing.

He has parts that have more white, but it's not a white balance applied to the entire image.
And how do you say he made the white balance ONLY on armor? did he do mask on the armor??

Any way here is 3 comparison. left is perfect full cc, by me. middle is yous. last is the other guy.

you make white object purple and so i say your white balance is worst. even if other things of his cc is bad, your white object is purple so it are worst white balance. sorry.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:02 pm

It's barely blue... His clouds are outright pink, just like the unaltered Dragon Box footage, which they wouldn't be if he used an actual color balance adjustment over the entire image instead of just changing the sky skin and armor colors, which isn't what color balancing is... And again, I stated that mine was a quick, rough example to explain how his process was wrong.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:02 pm It's barely blue... His clouds are outright pink, just like the unaltered Dragon Box footage, which they wouldn't be if he used an actual color balance adjustment over the entire image instead of just changing the sky skin and armor colors, which isn't what color balancing is... And again, I stated that mine was a quick, rough example to explain how his process was wrong.
You should know color balancing also is NOT changing rgb of entire image...there are highlight, midtone and shadow that you change separately...everybody should know this things its why something like Resolve color wheels for these different things.

Enigmo show on discord server his cc for this shot and its this:

and then i see with cel:

I agree this way is how its "supposed to look". not your way when you say its "supposed to look" like that...