Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vanner64

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by vanner64 » Sat May 07, 2022 9:53 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:35 pm Hey, would it be okay if I posted my own colored version of this cel?
You don't need to ask permission, but I think it's cool when people want to share what they have, and I'm sure other people would like to see.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 07, 2022 10:23 pm

lansing wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:28 pm

There is definitely something off in your process. Look at the color of Goku's gi, especially how it blends with the shadows.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DonCanjas

Post by DonCanjas » Sun May 08, 2022 6:35 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:23 pm
lansing wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:28 pm

There is definitely something off in your process. Look at the color of Goku's gi, especially how it blends with the shadows.
I think the sky and rocks are the weirdest looking. I'm pretty sure the green tint on the sky is intentional

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sun May 08, 2022 10:29 am

Using resolve. The tool Vanner suggested for the white balance is pretty useful and i have used it in the past.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Lorium_O

Post by Lorium_O » Sun May 08, 2022 11:28 am

For this one, I let my software get rid of the tint for me, then I manually fixed the rest.
-hello there

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:01 am

DonCanjas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:35 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:23 pm

I think the sky and rocks are the weirdest looking. I'm pretty sure the green tint on the sky is intentional
Yeah the sky is definitely supposed to be on the teal side, just not as insanely green as the DBox.
Cold World (Fanfic)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 am

The old laser disc sets, while probably a little off themselves, are probably the bets peek we have at what the original colors were:

Though again, we'll find ourselves back at the issue of working with 480p footage vs. film masters. Getting Goku's clothes to that level of brightness and hues will probably fuck everything else up.

I might have to walk back what I said about Kai's colors because...sheesh! They might be the closest actually. Vegeta even has red hair!

Cold World (Fanfic)

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:37 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 am The old laser disc sets, while probably a little off themselves, are probably the bets peek we have at what the original colors were:

Though again, we'll find ourselves back at the issue of working with 480p footage vs. film masters. Getting Goku's clothes to that level of brightness and hues will probably fuck everything else up.

I might have to walk back what I said about Kai's colors because...sheesh! They might be the closest actually. Vegeta even has red hair!

my attempt with those colors

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon May 09, 2022 9:43 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:37 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 am The old laser disc sets, while probably a little off themselves, are probably the bets peek we have at what the original colors were:

my attempt with those colors

Am I wrong or is this the best I’ve ever seen dragon ball z look it looks newer than it’s age it looks so great. do you have a video preview of this color correction?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 11, 2022 1:14 pm

Yeah, those Laserdiscs look great color-wise, and I always was a fan of Kai's pre-TFC color palette, minus the lighter greens (though, I still at least appreciate TFC's better dark details, making Vegetto's brown hair more obvious than in the Dragon Boxes, but the overall footage has too many problems for me to call it a "good" remaster even if I can look past them when I watch it).

It just baffles me though why they never corrected the sky color in Goku's fight with Vegeta. With that, those episodes look about spot on to me:

(just a quick edit in GIMP, so there's some artifacting but whatevs)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 pm

The last movie also have colors really close to the color chart.

another proof that the cels colors are the intended look?

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Thu May 12, 2022 6:27 pm

If you don't like SoM CC, just modify it. SoM did the hardest part, the white balance shot by shot. Do you want to modify the hue? Do it, and, of course, share the result, it will be interesting, but SoM decided to do it with the color palette they thought fit, and there is no reason to convince anyone of anything.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Thu May 12, 2022 8:32 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 pm The last movie also have colors really close to the color chart.

You can't use modern digital colors as a basis for what something made 30 years ago should look like.

Even if you could, the white eyes presented here are actually white, just like how we corrected it.

Lorium_O

Post by Lorium_O » Sat May 14, 2022 7:31 am

Trachta10 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:17 pm The last movie also have colors really close to the color chart.

?????

Super is not Z NOR the og show. It's a modern show with modern colors.

Understand that you shouldn't come up with excuses to say that cels are the intended look.

Even if they are, you still have to try to not make artifacts, so it's terrible either way.

If you try to make it look like the cels, whites will be crushed and colors will be way too saturated and overexposed.

Something like this shows how a color correction usually should look like:

The dark areas are slightly darker, but it works well enough not to deliberately destroy the image. Unlike color correcting it to look like the cels.

I don't really have a reference for Piccolo's tongue either so yeah.

Edit: I tried fixing the dark area issue:

-hello there

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat May 14, 2022 6:58 pm

Imagine using literal color charts to correct a shitty DVD telecine made in the late 90s lol. The best colors you will ever be able to get out of those DVDs would be following broadcast colors or foreign home releases which use color timed prints. Trying to use color charts for color correcting DVD let alone 16mm masters is idiotic. Not to mention color charts aren't even the exact colors on the fucking cels? I'm all of color correcting animation to look like the cels, but using literal flat color charts to correct something makes no sense! Intended or not when cels are put onto lower quality film stock like what a lot of Toei anime used in the 80s-90s the color becomes slightly desaturated in the process. You can brighten up the film a bit to make the contrast come out a bit more or do grading and what not, but to try and get flat colors from color charts is just gonna look too punchy and bizarre. What Kai does is near perfect in my eyes because it fixes the non-color timed 16mm negative colors and gives off a natural look. It's the same kind of colors you would see on a lot of foreign DVD and home video releases

Example here:
https://i.slow.pics/p6mavRYs.png

How you should CC the DBox:
https://i.slow.pics/dcKiELQi.png

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun May 29, 2022 1:36 pm

Your color correction isn’t bad but the colors now look a bit washed out.

Lorium_O

Post by Lorium_O » Tue May 31, 2022 1:30 pm

My guy, I'm happy you tried, but you desaturated the image.

Dragon Ball Z was intended to be dimmer and with clear colors. Not very saturated, but still being colorful.

Your ccs are a mixture of high gamma and low saturation. That's not a very good idea, especially for dbz colors.

Your color correction also had brown lines, so watch out for that if you ever do any other color correction.
-hello there

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:34 am

Lorium_O wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:30 pm
My guy, I'm happy you tried, but you desaturated the image.

Dragon Ball Z was intended to be dimmer and with clear colors. Not very saturated, but still being colorful.

Your ccs are a mixture of high gamma and low saturation. That's not a very good idea, especially for dbz colors.

Your color correction also had brown lines, so watch out for that if you ever do any other color correction.
I get it that some color are desaturated, like the reds or yellows, I could try to fix that
The increase in the gamma is needed if you want to fix the colors, in the source some colors are too much darker than it should be

Also, I can't help but mention that I find it kind of funny the way you criticize when you are by far the worst I've seen doing cc in this forum, no offense, but you don't even do a proper white balance and the hues look always completely wrong

The rocks here for example are too red, all the colors are really far from how they should look, is a disaster

Here your white balance is absolutely terrible

My corrections are far from being perfect of course, but I think that you have really no idea how to do a good color correction.
How can you criticize someone else's work when you are that bad? It's so funny

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 am

He's only criticizing stuff on par with what he's done himself. I don't see the harm