Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by crabshank1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:44 am interesting work, i hope that your settings will be ok soon :)
Thanks man, nearly there :)

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:54 pm

The power of crushing (0.2), on the right:

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:10 am

crabshank1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 am
I just spent 2 hours reading and trying out your guide and I'm going to say, 90% of this is pointless. For one, your instruction is terrible, so many confusing steps that nobody can follow. For example, in step 1,
...paste it into the main console
What console? Paste what?

And then the code in step 3 is wrong

Code: Select all

ConvertToRGB32(matrix="PC.709")

#it should be like this 
ConvertToRGB32()
And then in the code here you haven't declare the file path

Input.Shader("HSV dither.hlsl")
Any regular user that tried to follow would had given up right here because the script is returning an error.

Reason 2, like I said earlier, your usage of dithering is wrong, stop doing it. You're just sharpening the grain, which is a terrible idea. Purists are talking about keeping the grain, not stacking 3 layers of artificial grain on top of the original like what you're doing here.

Reason 3, 90% of your guide have nothing to do with color correction. What you're doing with the grain is irrelevant to the main topic, you're just adding more confusion to people who are trying to read it. The only steps that you really need are 1, 2, 3 and 5 where you talk about changing color. But then again, your instruction on step 5 is very bad as well.
Where? How?? What??? What software are you even using?

And then there's the accuracy issue, judging from your post here where you try to match to the kai color, your result is not even close.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 am

Sorry, posted new reply instead of editing.
Last edited by crabshank1 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am

Well, I'm happy you tried.
What console? Paste what?
The console of AvsPmod.
(from "To apply Remap README.txt"),
I'll admit, there should be no parentheses here and I will correct this in the next update to the guide. This file is in the AvsPmod.zip file, paste the contents of this file into the console of AvsPmod.
And then the code in step 3 is wrong

ConvertToRGB32(matrix="PC.709")

#it should be like this 
ConvertToRGB32()
I need 0-255, so I must specify PC.601/PC.709. I am now using PC.601 instead of 709.
And then in the code here you haven't declare the file path

Input.Shader("HSV dither.hlsl")
Any regular user that tried to follow would had given up right here because the script is returning an error.
Works for me without doing so, paste from the from "To apply Remap README.txt" file and change file paths appropriately.

Reason 2, like I said earlier, your usage of dithering is wrong, stop doing it. You're just sharpening the grain, which is a terrible idea. Purists are talking about keeping the grain, not stacking 3 layers of artificial grain on top of the original like what you're doing here.
I do it to deblock. And I consider it the most purist method of doing so, removing blocks without removing detail. I will not leave the blocks in, they're disgusting. What's your deblocking solution?
Reason 3, 90% of your guide have nothing to do with color correction. What you're doing with the grain is irrelevant to the main topic, you're just adding more confusion to people who are trying to read it. The only steps that you really need are 1, 2, 3 and 5 where you talk about changing color. But then again, your instruction on step 5 is very bad as well.
Lol, without 7, 8 and 9 you can't even correct The Final Chapters.
Where? How?? What??? What software are you even using?
Hlsl files are edited with a text editor (you might need to open it as an administrator). You change the variables, usually written like "#define variable value" or "variable = value".
And then there's the accuracy issue, judging from your post here where you try to match to the kai color, your result is not even close.

I did Kai hues, dither, white balance and crushing. The number of possible colours for one hue is a lot.

I will probably delete all Avisynth and do a fresh install, just to check it works OK for newbies. Also, increase the verbiage of my explanations for those who know nothing of shaders or Avisynth where appropriate.

There is also the option of running the shaders in a stack on your video player and editing them in a text editor then turning the shaders on and off again to see the difference. This is the backup method, to using Avisynth.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 am

https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... ches.hlsl/

I saw lots of yellow splotches in the skin when I was working on DBZ ep 268 and I wanted a shader to reduce them. After decomposing colour channels in G'MIC (in GIMP), I saw that the h channel of Lch made those splotches a different colour to the rest of the image. So, using this value, the saturation and a threshold it isolated the splotches (I will add a debug option so you can see) and I reduced their saturation, so now they are greenish. Not perfectly blended but much less obnoxious to the eye.

N.B. the default settings are what I'm using for Z ep 268. There will probably be amendments to this shader.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pm

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am I do it to deblock. And I consider it the most purist method of doing so, removing blocks without removing detail. I will not leave the blocks in, they're disgusting. What's your deblocking solution?
There is no blocking in all the images, I see only grain or noise, so there is no need to deblock. Furthermore it's pointless to include deblock or noise removal stuff in here because it has nothing to do with color correction.

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am Hlsl files are edited with a text editor (you might need to open it as an administrator). You change the variables, usually written like "#define variable value" or "variable = value".
Dude there are literally 200-300 lines of codes in each of those files, what are you expecting any regular person to do? Where do they put the code? Where is the "hue" coming from? Where is the common sense?
crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 am
I did Kai hues, dither, white balance and crushing. The number of possible colours for one hue is a lot.
You shouldn't be doing any guide if your color matching method wasn't even accurate.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:32 pm

lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pm There is no blocking in all the images, I see only grain or noise, so there is no need to deblock. Furthermore it's pointless to include deblock or noise removal stuff in here because it has nothing to do with color correction.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19448&p=1053303&hil ... s#p1053303
lansing wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:40 pm have tried version 2, it worked on some extent, but the problem is that it easily create artifacts.
I'd bet that it didn't create the artefacts, it just made them show up clearer.
Dude there are literally 200-300 lines of codes in each of those files, what are you expecting any regular person to do? Where do they put the code? Where is the "hue" coming from? Where is the common sense?
I'm willing to write a list of what each variable does.
You shouldn't be doing any guide if your color matching method wasn't even accurate.

In HSV, the hue tells you the colour. What else can I match? I can have one reference hue for each thing e.g. Goku's gi, Super Saiyan hair, Supreme Kai's skin etc. and match to that in all episodes.

P.S. I hate digging up old comments, but I felt I had no choice this time.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm

lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pmThere is no blocking in all the images, I see only grain or noise, so there is no need to deblock. Furthermore it's pointless to include deblock or noise removal stuff in here because it has nothing to do with color correction.
I'll grant that deblocking doesn't necessarily relate to this thread, but to say that the Dragon Boxes don't have this issue at all is just flat out wrong. You're quick to jump down crabshank1's throat, yet you're either unknowledgeable of, or being very disingenuous about, something incredibly basic that's endemic to compressed video. Even with the very best compression/encoding techniques employed, DVD footage will always be bottlenecked to some degree by various factors, from time, to disc space, to maximum bitrate allowed by commercial players. Even Blu-ray footage falls victim to similar factors, albeit to a much less noticeable degree on average.

I can see compression issues in the Dragon Box footage, it's impossible for there not to be. The NA release exacerbates these issues, since there's an extra audio track involved.

So, even if crabshank1's methods are still a work in progress, I find what they're doing interesting enough to not just hand wave away. Perhaps a separate thread is in order?

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:32 pm
If I had any criticism of what you're doing, I'd agree that the grain does look noticeably sharpened to some extent. Also, in the example you did with Vegeta, the darker shade of his clothes looks so crushed that it's hard to see the linework of the folds in his shirt.
Last edited by Kuwabara on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm If I had any criticism of what you're doing, I'd agree that the grain does look noticeably sharpened to some extent. Also, in the example you did with Vegeta, the darker shade of his clothes looks so crushed that it's hard to see the linework of the folds in his shirt.
I think that if the whole image looks sharper, the grain will too. I haven't got a shader that leaves out the grain, yet.

I can lower the amount of crushing, no problem.

Also, the blocks were coloured and messing up my white balancing which is why I dithered them away.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:37 am https://github.com/crabshank/HLSL-Resha ... ches.hlsl/

I saw lots of yellow splotches in the skin when I was working on DBZ ep 268 and I wanted a shader to reduce them. After decomposing colour channels in G'MIC (in GIMP), I saw that the h channel of Lch made those splotches a different colour to the rest of the image. So, using this value, the saturation and a threshold it isolated the splotches (I will add a debug option so you can see) and I reduced their saturation, so now they are greenish. Not perfectly blended but much less obnoxious to the eye.

N.B. the default settings are what I'm using for Z ep 268. There will probably be amendments to this shader.
Latest version isolates these splotches and reduces the hues of them. Much more purist IMO.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pm There is no blocking in all the images, I see only grain or noise, so there is no need to deblock. Furthermore it's pointless to include deblock or noise removal stuff in here because it has nothing to do with color correction.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19448&p=1053303&hil ... s#p1053303
lansing wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:40 pm have tried version 2, it worked on some extent, but the problem is that it easily create artifacts.
I'd bet that it didn't create the artefacts, it just made them show up clearer.

P.S. I hate digging up old comments, but I felt I had no choice this time.
What are you even smoking? The "artifact" in that comment was referring to the artifact created by the color correcting software, it stays within the topic of this thread. It wasn't talking about grain removal or what ever you were doing.

In HSV, the hue tells you the colour. What else can I match? I can have one reference hue for each thing e.g. Goku's gi, Super Saiyan hair, Supreme Kai's skin etc. and match to that in all episodes.
I don't know. I'm just basing my judgement on the results.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm
lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pmThere is no blocking in all the images, I see only grain or noise, so there is no need to deblock. Furthermore it's pointless to include deblock or noise removal stuff in here because it has nothing to do with color correction.
I'll grant that deblocking doesn't necessarily relate to this thread, but to say that the Dragon Boxes don't have this issue at all is just flat out wrong. You're quick to jump down crabshank1's throat, yet you're either unknowledgeable of, or being very disingenuous about, something incredibly basic that's endemic to compressed video. Even with the very best compression/encoding techniques employed, DVD footage will always be bottlenecked to some degree by various factors, from time, to disc space, to maximum bitrate allowed by commercial players. Even Blu-ray footage falls victim to similar factors, albeit to a much less noticeable degree on average.

I can see compression issues in the Dragon Box footage, it's impossible for there not to be. The NA release exacerbates these issues, since there's an extra audio track involved.
He has been spamming this thread like no others' business for the past month with the same stuff over and over again. And nobody responded because nobody knows what he's talking about. I think I have waited long enough to speak up until now.
Kuwabara wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:19 pm So, even if crabshank1's methods are still a work in progress, I find what they're doing interesting enough to not just hand wave away. Perhaps a separate thread is in order?
Yeah, anything that helps stop the spamming of irrelevant stuff in here is good for me, less confusion for everybody.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 pm

lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm He has been spamming this thread like no others' business for the past month with the same stuff over and over again. And nobody responded because nobody knows what he's talking about. I think I have waited long enough to speak up until now.
The fact that you had to wait is pretty telling if you ask me. Even if a ton of their posts were left unanswered, the few other pieces of feedback I have seen have only been positive/constructive.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm

lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm What are you even smoking? The "artifact" in that comment was referring to the artifact created by the color correcting software, it stays within the topic of this thread. It wasn't talking about grain removal or what ever you were doing.
Am I removing grain or sharpening it? Read it again and you might see that the point I was making was that I didn't think the software created the artefact.
I don't know. I'm just basing my judgement on the results.
You want to match colours, and yet when I match the only source of colour in the colour space you moan. What's your colour matching procedure so we can compare notes?
He has been spamming this thread like no others' business for the past month with the same stuff over and over again. And nobody responded because nobody knows what he's talking about. I think I have waited long enough to speak up until now.
I've made plenty of new additions, maybe too many, and I repeated the guide BUT with new additions marked in GREEN so everyone knew it was an addition. Clarifications too. Plus, plenty of people have some idea of what I mean but not exactly because they're not actually doing it, they're not writing the code, and that's totally understandable. However, they have the respect to enquire further, to ask me.
Yeah, anything that helps stop the spamming of irrelevant stuff in here is good for me, less confusion for everybody.

You thought you don't need to white balance; you said there was no macroblocking in the Dbox, just grain (like every frame is a lossless scan); you couldn't see the value in matching hues, the only source of colour in the HSV colour space. You are no authority on pertinence.

Plus I will clarify further, so moving my work to another thread will keep the same amount of confusion in this one. Obviously.

This thread was almost dead before I filled it with my ideas, I said I thought I was necrobumping it. I'm close, DB E109 proves it and I'm currently seeing if I can reduce the yellow spots in the skin. The last real step is how to adjust the saturation channel.

The blocks are there, 100%, I remove them by randomly adding values to each channel without changing the average and then crushing and re-expanding the output so that it reverts close to the mean through the loss in precision of the floating point values. This is the most purist deblocking I can think of. For further proof of blocking, see anyone's comments about how if the CC is too extreme, they "get artifacts". Note: They didn't create them, they were already there.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49 pm

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm
lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm What are you even smoking? The "artifact" in that comment was referring to the artifact created by the color correcting software, it stays within the topic of this thread. It wasn't talking about grain removal or what ever you were doing.
Am I removing grain or sharpening it? Read it again and you might see that the point I was making was that I didn't think the software created the artefact.
The point here is that the "artifact" I was referring to stays on topic as it has to do with color correction, while the "artifact" that you spent a month trying to fix has nothing to do with it.

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm You want to match colours, and yet when I match the only source of colour in the colour space you moan. What's your colour matching procedure so we can compare notes?
I thought that should be the whole point of your guide. Why are you blaming me when it's giving poor result?

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm You thought you don't need to white balance; you said there was no macroblocking in the Dbox, just grain (like every frame is a lossless scan); you couldn't see the value in matching hues, the only source of colour in the HSV colour space. You are no authority on pertinence.

Plus I will clarify further, so moving my work to another thread will keep the same amount of confusion in this one. Obviously.

This thread was almost dead before I filled it with my ideas, I said I thought I was necrobumping it. I'm close, DB E109 proves it and I'm currently seeing if I can reduce the yellow spots in the skin. The last real step is how to adjust the saturation channel.

The blocks are there, 100%, I remove them by randomly adding values to each channel without changing the average and then crushing and re-expanding the output so that it reverts close to the mean through the loss in precision of the floating point values. This is the most purist deblocking I can think of. For further proof of blocking, see anyone's comments about how if the CC is too extreme, they "get artifacts". Note: They didn't create them, they were already there.
I don't want to go into discussion about if there're macroblocking in the Dragon box, I don't care, I just want the contributions here to stay on topic.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:22 am

lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49 pm I don't want to go into discussion about if there're macroblocking in the Dragon box, I don't care, I just want the contributions here to stay on topic.
You are really rude with him, he is the only one that make this topic alive since months, all people with genius idea mostly left their project out of anything or just don't talk about them anymore, i am okay that his methods is not yet ready and it's mostly why i didn't answered for my part except for some kind of encouragement. it's really nice that unlike 99% of all people that show their results only (like a "yes i am strong, i can do that but you can't" and never helped others) he kindly shared what he are doing and how he can do it. the only point where i can agree with you is that he shouldn't have made his tutorial until he reach his final goal as we can loose ourself in all the steps (and it's not a way i usually follow, i am a noob using his way i don't really understand lol) but there's others way to said him

as long as he work about color corrections it's in the topic, if some step don't fit you then just don't follow them that's all. i remember that you said nothing with people that was showing ugly waifux2 things that are farrrrrrrrrr worst than any issue i have seen here

What final result did you managed to get? show yourself where he is wrong with example, screenshot if you really think he is wrong, i think it's the best way to give evidence and make things go forwards instead of just a useless and stupid opinion fight and why not helping him too?

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:37 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:22 am
lansing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49 pm I don't want to go into discussion about if there're macroblocking in the Dragon box, I don't care, I just want the contributions here to stay on topic.
You are really rude with him, he is the only one that make this topic alive since months, all people with genius idea mostly left their project out of anything or just don't talk about them anymore, i am okay that his methods is not yet ready and it's mostly why i didn't answered for my part except for some kind of encouragement. it's really nice that unlike 99% of all people that show their results only (like a "yes i am strong, i can do that but you can't" and never helped others) he kindly shared what he are doing and how he can do it. the only point where i can agree with you is that he shouldn't have made his tutorial until he reach his final goal as we can loose ourself in all the steps (and it's not a way i usually follow, i am a noob using his way i don't really understand lol) but there's others way to said him

as long as he work about color corrections it's in the topic, if some step don't fit you then just don't follow them that's all. i remember that you said nothing with people that was showing ugly waifux2 things that are farrrrrrrrrr worst than any issue i have seen here

What final result did you managed to get? show yourself where he is wrong with example, screenshot if you really think he is wrong, i think it's the best way to give evidence and make things go forwards instead of just a useless and stupid opinion fight and why not helping him too?
Thanks for this sensible post. Only reason I updated as I went along was that if something happened to me and I was unable to continue, there would be enough info here in case anyone else wanted to/could figure it out. Then they could see if they could finish it. Also, if anyone was following along they'd get the latest ideas.
Last edited by crabshank1 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie

Post by crabshank1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:48 am

crabshank1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm You want to match colours, and yet when I match the only source of colour in the colour space you moan. What's your colour matching procedure so we can compare notes?
I thought that should be the whole point of your guide. Why are you blaming me when it's giving poor result?
You don't seem to understand HSV. yoU sHoULdn't bE dOINg anY GuiDe If YOu doN't unDErStaND Hsv.
I don't want to go into discussion about if there're macroblocking in the Dragon box, I don't care, I just want the contributions here to stay on topic.
For the (n+1)th time: the macroblocks were coloured and fucking up my white balance (my CC), so I had to lose them even if I didn't hate them. But seeing as you said white balance isn't needed, I finally realised earlier why you keep saying this.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 am

crabshank1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:48 am For the (n+1)th time: the macroblocks were coloured and fucking up my white balance (my CC), so I had to lose them even if I didn't hate them. But seeing as you said white balance isn't needed, I finally realised earlier why you keep saying this.
you talk about coloured pixels in the white colors? i used to see some when i tried to cc, the only way i managed to find to removed them was DNR, i was thinking that it was caused of the grain lol