Dragonball or Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Dragonball or Dragon Ball?

Post by NessMudkip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Throughout the Dragonball (or er... Dragon Ball) series, the word "Dragonball" is sometimes spelled "Dragon Ball". Which is the correct spelling? Never really understood this one.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragonball or Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm

I think "Dragon Ball" or "DragonBall" work just fine, but "Dragonball" is wrong. It was never written out like that in the series.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm

"Dragon Ball" is more visually pleasing, though I don't think there's anything wrong with "Dragonball". I tend to use "Dragon Ball".
EDIT: He posted right before I hit "submit". If "Dragonball" is never used, I dunno.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think "Dragon Ball" or "DragonBall" work just fine, but "Dragonball" is wrong. It was never written out like that in the series.
"Dragonball" was used on the kanzenban covers.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 pm

For years I did use to spell "Dragonball" but I now use "Dragon Ball".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:34 pm

I pretty much always use 'Dragon Ball'. It just sits better with me, especially when you consider the abbreviation of 'DB'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:41 pm

I always used "Dragon Ball" and never altogether, just never liked seeing "Dragonball" displeasing to my eyes/tastes.

Read on YouTube (I think) it went something like this "Dragon Ball Z sounds like a different series because the Ball is separated from the Dragon" so, what about the letter Z, shouldn't it be stuck to it too? "dragonballz" lol.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 pm

a) Dragon Ball
b) DragonBall
c) Dragonball

I prefer Dragon Ball, although I've typed it like a) and b), and probably even c) while I've been here, Dragon Ball looks better like others have said before.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 pm

It becomes whatever I end up typing at the time, probably to the chagrin of consistency nerds here. :)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:14 pm

NessMudkip wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think "Dragon Ball" or "DragonBall" work just fine, but "Dragonball" is wrong. It was never written out like that in the series.
"Dragonball" was used on the kanzenban covers.
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/40 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
My bad. :oops:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Just gonna post Mike's reply from another thread.
VegettoEX wrote:I think I've explained it before, but here goes:

(1) Written in katakana, it's all one word: ドラゴンボール (doragonbooru)
(2) Written on the tankoubon in "English", it's all in uppercase, but split into two words: DRAGON BALL
(3) Written on the kanzenban in "English", it's all one word in mixed case: Dragonball
(4) Written in many adaptations in "English", it's split up into two words with each word first-letter-capitalized: Dragon Ball
(5) onwards and onwards, etc. and etc.

"DragonBall" (all one word, mixed-case) is my personal compromise combining all of the individual elements from various "spellings". There's no "correct" way when it's wildly inconsistent. For the record, though, I typically spell "Dragon Ball" as two words when referring to the actual objects in-universe, themselves.
Basically, it's one word in katakana, but how you render that in English can vary. I like "Dragon Ball", personally.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Toriyama puts a space in the middle of his logo on the covers so I use "Dragon Ball". I also see most of the copyrights from VIZ and FUNi written as "Dragon Ball".
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:06 pm

I go with Dragon Ball, personally. The name comes from the objects, Dragon Balls, the Balls of the Dragon.

I think it's the more consistent way, being as Toei did the same for Z, GT, the Movies, Jump Super Anime Special, Episode of Bardock, PtEtSS (kinda), not to mention all 42 volumes of the tankobon format.
I did write it as DragonBall for years, but I don't think I had any logic for doing it myself.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Well it looks like I'm in the minority. I do like the capitalization of the D and B, but I generally spell it DragonBall. I do it that way because DragonBall Z was the first series I saw and this is how it was displayed. No space in between Dragon and/or Ball.
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:19 am

Dad'n'doll, that's my pronounciation. But I spell it Dragon Ball, yes.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:30 am

I generally just go with Dragon Ball.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Just noticed something kind of interesting. Most of us prefer to write it like "Dragon Ball", but all over the forum it's written like "DragonBall". Not by members but on the board index and everything that was set up when the forum started.
Daizenshuu EX
Your most authoritative DragonBall discussion board.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm

I use "Dragonball" when referring to the series title (don't really care enough to capitalize the 'b'), and use "Dragon Ball(s)" with the space for the actual objects themselves.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 pm

dprez wrote:Just noticed something kind of interesting. Most of us prefer to write it like "Dragon Ball", but all over the forum it's written like "DragonBall". Not by members but on the board index and everything that was set up when the forum started.
Well, yes... because I'm the one who wrote all that text, and I currently spell it as "DragonBall".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
dprez wrote:Just noticed something kind of interesting. Most of us prefer to write it like "Dragon Ball", but all over the forum it's written like "DragonBall". Not by members but on the board index and everything that was set up when the forum started.
Well, yes... because I'm the one who wrote all that text, and I currently spell it as "DragonBall".
Yea I figured. I kind of prefer "DragonBall" now myself. :) They both look fine to me though.