Ocean dub music question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Ocean dub music question

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zxFule ... re=related

We know based on interview quotes that Funimation altered the music for DBZ to charge royalties for their soundtrack and to try and "Americanize" the soundtrack.

What I'm curious about is... why did Ocean replace the original soundtrack as well? Was it for the same motives as Funi?

(wow, nearly 400 views in about 20-30 minutes?)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Ocean dub music question

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm gonna guess it was cheaper to reuse Megaman music than it was to license the Kikuchi score.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Another thread goes into detail on why the Westwood dub utilizes the original cast and assorted music from Mega Man and the Monster Rancher dub, but most of it had to do with the fact that the more Canadian in origin the dub was, the cheaper it was to produce.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Too bad! If they'd invested more time and money into it then fans would have preferred it to the American dub.

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 pm

With the limited budget that they had, they could only do so much with said budget.

For trying to get everything done within a year, they did a somewhat decent job. Not terrible but not great either.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 am

Ocean dub are awesome because they barely had a year to dub around 200 episodes. Now that's tough.

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 am

GS7X7 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zxFule ... re=related

We know based on interview quotes that Funimation altered the music for DBZ to charge royalties for their soundtrack and to try and "Americanize" the soundtrack.

What I'm curious about is... why did Ocean replace the original soundtrack as well? Was it for the same motives as Funi?

(wow, nearly 400 views in about 20-30 minutes?)
There are a lot of unanswered questions concerning the production of this dub, and to date the Megaman/Monster Rancher/Hamtaro music recycled for the Ocean Dub score is one of those unanswered questions.
You could try contacting Ocean, or maybe Tom Keenlyside if he remembers or even knew the reason, but whether you get any responses is another story.

Ocean can be a very confidential company.
"Nobody's Real............"

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:18 am

Ukdb.net and it's offshoots had the famous (in UK fandom) "Duncan." He was a REALLY funny guy and was an expert on the subject.

I remember he once said something like, "the French tied up rights to English DBZ in the UK and that's why they don't get dvd's there" or something. (I know I'm quoting him wrong)

If you can find him, he'd be the best person to ask about Ocean. (he interviewed/befriended a ton of them, I remember he did a private interview with the VA for Nappa once)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:21 am

Back on UKDB we tried contacting Tom multiple times about a possible release of the music he composed but that was long ago last year and no reply has been given.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 am

Say, do I know you by any chance?

Duncan's the only one from ukdb I still remember by name after all these years, mostly because he had a really unique sense of humor in everything he said.... I loved his site where he did fake VA clips of the Metal Gear cast! :lol:

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:25 am

GS7X7 wrote:Ukdb.net and it's offshoots had the famous (in UK fandom) "Duncan." He was a REALLY funny guy and was an expert on the subject.

I remember he once said something like, "the French tied up rights to English DBZ in the UK and that's why they don't get dvd's there" or something. (I know I'm quoting him wrong)

If you can find him, he'd be the best person to ask about Ocean. (he interviewed/befriended a ton of them, I remember he did a private interview with the VA for Nappa once)
I never really communicated with Duncan much, these days I get tidbits info about a few people from the ukdb.net from time to time, getting any new info out of them is unlikely these days.

But Duncan was the guy who provided the most info for ukdb if not the entire Ocean fanbase from text and vocal interviews with some of the Ocean cast. Lost in my hard drive archive are his vocal interviews with Brian Drummond and Don Brown. If your lucky, webarchive might randomly make available the ukdb.net archive. What ever was provided on ukdb, likely all that Duncan had found.

AB Groupe at the time had the Dragon Ball European license, with Manga Entertainment looking like it will release the FUNimation Orange Brick in the UK, I do wonder if AB still has the European license.
"Nobody's Real............"

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:06 am

I'de love to see those interviews of the cast. Hopefully they're still around. I did find one interview on Youtube of Peter Kelamis but it mainly focused on his comedy and live action career and only briefly touched on the subject of cartoons and anime such as Ed, Edd & Eddy and Dragn Ball Z. I did get a laugh out of it when he mentioned that he got death threats after he took over the role of Goku.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:54 pm

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http:/ ... efunny.net

Maybe his contact info is there somewhere....

Please contact him! He should totally make all his videos/recordings available again, that guy was a great VA and had an amazing sense of humor!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 pm

With the music being rehashes from other shows, I have to wonder, what did the opening theme sound like? Did they just use the Mega Man theme and replace the lyrics to be of DBZ, or what?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Super Sonic wrote:With the music being rehashes from other shows, I have to wonder, what did the opening theme sound like? Did they just use the Mega Man theme and replace the lyrics to be of DBZ, or what?
It looks and sounds a lot like this.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:With the music being rehashes from other shows, I have to wonder, what did the opening theme sound like? Did they just use the Mega Man theme and replace the lyrics to be of DBZ, or what?
It looks and sounds a lot like this.
:shock: :shock: Wow, that was lame.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 am

It's likely for the same reason Funimation did it, or at the very least so they wouldn't have to pay Funimation music royalties. They probably stood to make profit from having their own dub with their own music.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]