Worst English Dub Dialogue

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Worst English Dub Dialogue

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:36 pm

in your opinion which contradict the story the most, or ridiculous logical errors? specifically the funi z dub.
Last edited by Ussj Future Trunks on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Re: Worst English Dub Dialogue

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 pm

It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 pm

While I don't see this thread sticking around for long, I'll just go ahead and contribute my opinion:

The entire Bardock TV special dub.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Being a fan of the Funimation dub Piccolo's line does make me laugh.
''Everyone get down!'' ''Take cover!'' ''Get moving!'' Make up your mind piccolo :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg1bCXFLKdY
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 pm

I've got tons but here are some that just tick me off:

1. Goku, Vegeta, Bulma talking about Saiyans hair never growing and they actually joke around by stating use shampoo for Goku's split ends.

2. It was during a recap during the Freeza Saga where the narrator was commenting the episode like a baseball game.

3. The series making you think Dr. Gero was the so called leader of the Red Ribbon Army.

4. Calling Taio Pai-Pai a General!

5. Overall, the entire Seasons where FUNi took over after the Ocean Group.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 am

When Frreza talked about unlaced shoes! That was horrible, it removed all the tension!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 am

Being a fan of FUNi's Z dub I can tolerate a lot of the cringe-worthy dialogue, but there is this one moment in the Garilc Jr saga that gets to me. If I remember correctly is happens when Krillin catches up with Gohan after Gohan was swimming. Krillin does some weird imitation of somebody. Then Gohan says "That's the worst Humphrey Bogart imitation I've ever heard!". Did they really need to reference a real celebrity in a series like DBZ?

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:48 am

Codarik wrote:Being a fan of FUNi's Z dub I can tolerate a lot of the cringe-worthy dialogue, but there is this one moment in the Garilc Jr saga that gets to me. If I remember correctly is happens when Krillin catches up with Gohan after Gohan was swimming. Krillin does some weird imitation of somebody. Then Gohan says "That's the worst Humphrey Bogart imitation I've ever heard!". Did they really need to reference a real celebrity in a series like DBZ?
In Season 3, yes, but didn't they re-dub most of the goofiest lines for the Season Sets and Dragon Boxes?
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:02 am

"More like... burnt toast."

Didn't know Piccolo was a fan of CSI Miami.

But no, seriously, I really think Piccolo got the overall worst of it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:11 am

Corporate_Nothing wrote:
Codarik wrote:Being a fan of FUNi's Z dub I can tolerate a lot of the cringe-worthy dialogue, but there is this one moment in the Garilc Jr saga that gets to me. If I remember correctly is happens when Krillin catches up with Gohan after Gohan was swimming. Krillin does some weird imitation of somebody. Then Gohan says "That's the worst Humphrey Bogart imitation I've ever heard!". Did they really need to reference a real celebrity in a series like DBZ?
In Season 3, yes, but didn't they re-dub most of the goofiest lines for the Season Sets and Dragon Boxes?
Yes they redubbed them, but they only altered just about a handful of them.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:29 am

Whoever wrote these lines should rot in Hell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUJ_k3-1QE

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:00 am

Let's not forget... "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!" :roll:

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:04 am

Recoome is an Android.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:37 am

Fox666 wrote:Recoome is an Android.
Like this?
Metalwario64 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 am wrote:I believe Reacoom is a human, but was sent into outer space as a teen by Dr. Briefs who kidnapped him after bludgeoning him on the head with a 2x4.

Y'see, Reacoom never quite got along with the kids at school, much akin to Geeko in DBE, and was a social outcast. He was a large, muscular person who was also kind and gentle. One day, a bunch of guys jumped him in the classic dark, foggy ally-way scene and absolutely tore him to shreds! He also suffered a severe case of brain damage, and he could no longer speak properly.

Dr. Briefs stumbled upon Reacoom while walking home from the grocery store and saw the helpless lad laying by a dumpster and took him-- by force-- to his laboratory to experiment on his body. Dr. Briefs thought he was Android 16 because he looks exactly like him, so he opened the poor guy up, and gave him a metal skeleton and decided to send him to space, where there would be no man left to torture the innocent soul...

But fate would have it, that his space ship would crash-land on the very planet Freeza that Vegeta would return to for medical treatment if need be. Well, some guard was teasing the Raccoon, and now due to his implants, he absolutely demolished the guy! His upper half was completely disintegrated! Well, as it turns out, the good ol' Captain Ginyu witnessed the very action and decided to recruit young Recoome to become a new part of his Ginyu Force!

How Fortunate! The misfit finds his place in existence!

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:37 am

Shnuki wrote:Whoever wrote these lines should rot in Hell:
This. I hated these lines.

This always made me shake my head since it was so out of place and unnecessary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--R7Ymom9m0

Eight-Star Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eight-Star Dragon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 am

There are a few lines during the Goku and Freeza fight that make it seem it like Freeza is almost flirting with Goku. Ewwwwwwww. His female VA really doesn't help.

Also, Bardock developing the artificial moon or whatever it's called.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm

That was hilarious. :lol:

Sounds like something TFS would've done themselves. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:29 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
That was hilarious. :lol:

Sounds like something TFS would've done themselves. :P
Yeah, sorry, but even as ridiculous as some of our lines get, that... that's not even trying to be clever.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:36 pm

email2003 wrote:
4. Calling Taio Pai-Pai a General!.
Didn't they fix that in the later season sets? I remember they called General Tao due to Funimation didn't dub the Red Ribbon Army saga at the time and took the "General Tao" name from the Harmony Gold DB dub?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:41 pm

GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT