Looking for DBZ Movies 1, 2, and 3 Subtitled VHS Tapes.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Looking for DBZ Movies 1, 2, and 3 Subtitled VHS Tapes.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:58 am

So, I've been on this VHS kick this week. I bought an old Ranma 1\2 VHS recently that I wanted to convert to DVD. Buying this one tape made me want to display all my other VHS tapes I had.

But now, I would love to own the old FUNimation\Pioneer VHS tapes of movies 1, 2, and 3 subtitled. I know these are totally obsolete now, but I'm don't really want it to watch. It's really to own a certain time in DBZ history here in America that I lived through and have great memories of. And the clam shell case is pretty cool too...

I tried looking on Amazon Marketplace and eBay and haven't come across any. I came across The Worlds Strongest when I bought my Ranma tape but, it ended up being the dubbed version. It seems these people on Amazon Marketplace have no idea what they're selling, and I can't really blame them. It's a dead format for an obscure version of a movie no one has heard of, can't really blame them.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I might look or if someone has one and wants to sell it... :D

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Re: Looking for DBZ Movies 1, 2, and 3 Subtitled VHS Tapes.

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:08 am

I know this doesn't directly pertain to your topic, but I can still vaguely remember walking into the local Sam Goody when I was nine or ten years old with my birthday money to buy some Dragon Ball Z VHS tapes. I picked up the dubbed versions of Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and The Tree of Might. I still own the first two to this day, but I'm not sure what I did with The Tree of Might. I can't help but wonder how differently my fandom would have developed had I picked up the subbed versions instead, which were sitting on the same store shelf right next to the dubbed versions.

Ask this seller whether this tape is subbed or dubbed -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z-M ... 1123wt_977
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:52 pm

I have that VHS and it is dubbed.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Funi released a subbed version in VHS?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 pm

funrush wrote:Funi released a subbed version in VHS?
Well, Pioneer technically, but yeah the first 3 movies were in dubbed and subtitled formats on vhs. The dub versions went for $19.99 and the sub versions went for $24.99. Being a jobless 16 year-old with a small allowance in 1999 and having only watched the series dubbed, you can tell which version of "World's Strongest" I bought.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:48 am

Attitudefan wrote:I have that VHS and it is dubbed.
Yea, I have the dubbed versions as well. Just figured it'd be nice to have the subtitled versions too.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Hmm. I have the Movie 3 subbed VHS, although I don't have it with me, and I don't know if I'd want to sell it anyway. But I know what you mean. Just thinking about buying that tape, owning and watching subbed DBZ for the first time, and knowing that it was such a rarity, evokes strong feelings in me now. It was such a different time for DB fandom then than now. But mine wasn't in the clamshell case. It was in the cardboard sleeve.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But mine wasn't in the clamshell case. It was in the cardboard sleeve.
Oh, yea. They came in both clamshell and traditional VHS cardboard sleeve. I'm guessing but, I'm pretty sure the clamshells were from the first run.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Does anyone know exactly what was listed for the first 3 movies? The releases I'm aware of (pre-UUE) are:

1-3 VHS dubbed with Japanese score
1-3 VHS subbbed
1-3 DVD bilingual

Relatedly, was there ever a release of the version of Tree of Might with the dub score? I know such a version exists since it was used for TV airings (and I think a version of the movie that was cut into 2 "episodes"), but I don't know if it ever got a release.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:46 pm

No, the TV version, which in and of itself is practically a different being altogether, dubbed before any of the Pioneer movies with a completely different script featuring Ian Corlett instead of Peter Kelamis, scenes from assorted episodes spliced into the movie to fill time, which was not two but three episodes long, has never been released on video.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Dead Zone Subbed VHS is available on Amazon, wasn't able to find the other 2 though.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/