Would you support Dragon Ball with a new voice cast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Would you support Dragon Ball with a new voice cast?

Post by Kiddo626 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Okay, this is obviously a hypothetical discussion, but say it's reached a point where most of the voice actors behind the original DB have either retired or passed on. Yet, Toei decides to make a new Dragon Ball series/movie/OVA/etc. Would you guys be willing to give it a chance if Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo and all of them were voiced by an entirely new cast, or is the original cast so iconic to you that anyone else voicing these characters would just not feel right?

Personally, since I'm not too attached to the original cast, I wouldn't mind giving a new cast a shot to see what they could do. But still, I am curious to see other opinions here. What do you guys think? :)

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Re: Would you support Dragon Ball with a new voice cast?

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Sure, I'd be pretty interested to see a totally new take on everyone's voices. That being said I'd really hope they'd stay away from that obnoxious pretty boy, pop idol, stunt casting bullshit.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm

It'd be a sad day, but I think I could grow to accept it at least, supposing the replacements were quality ones. I mean, I've already survived at least 3 different English voice casts, and some of the replacements already done on the Japanese side, so I think I'd be able to move on eventually.

It's always sad when a cast is replaced though. I'm excited for the newer, younger Lupin the 3rd actors they've brought in - the original Fujiko was sounding way too old at this point, no offense to her - but it's also worrisome just because. Goro Naya was PERFECT.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:35 pm

If they're good, then nothing else matters. I wouldn't bash on a genuinely superb voice actor for Gokuu just because they're not as good as Nozawa.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 pm

I would rather keep the same voice actors if possible. but if they're no longer around then I guess I'd give the new VA's a chance.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:10 pm

It will be a sad day when the time comes, but I think I can get behind it. Hokuto no Ken has multiple casts, so it's not like it would be the first time a cartoon got big wipe to its casts. I've actually been working on a fantasy cast list of sorts of who I'd like to see take over the bigger roles. The way I see it, Paku Romi is the only voice actor that comes to mind that could handle all of Nozawa's roles. She has the acting range to pull off all of the characters perfectly.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:29 pm

It would be a bit awkward at first, but if they are good, I night enjoy it. Nippon's Hunter x Hunter fans are getting a hard time to get used to Madhouse's cast.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:34 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:It would be a bit awkward at first, but if they are good, I night enjoy it. Nippon's Hunter x Hunter fans are getting a hard time to get used to Madhouse's cast.
I've heard about that. I didn't follow the original series, but I've really loved the cast for this second series. Gon's actress, Han Megumi, is really good for a rookie. I think she'd make a great Kuririn, thinking about it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Edit:

About the Japanese DB recast, hm.. No.

It's about time to stop going back to remake/recast something that was perfectly done, rather move to new stuff.

As for FUNimation, Dragon Box Dragon Box Dragon Box!! :D
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes.

Romi Park as DBZ Seiyuu would be awesome, she would make a great #18 and Gohan(From Cell Saga and on).

Ikue Ōtani(Pikachu's seiyuu) would make a great kid Gohan and maybe Kid Goku.

Hard to believe that the guy who voiced Mr Satan in Kai was the one who voiced ADMIRAL KIZARU.

The guy who voices Ben Beckman would make a great Vegeta.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:24 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Yes.

Romi Park as DBZ Seiyuu would be awesome, she would make a great #18 and Gohan(From Cell Saga and on).

Hard to believe that the guy who voiced Mr Satan in Kai was the one who voiced ADMIRAL KIZARU.

Do you have links to these guys' voice acting performances?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Not to steal the topic, but is there a Japanese Frank Welker?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Sure, but I probably wouldn't watch it.
:P
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 pm

sangofe wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Yes.

Do you have links to these guys' voice acting performances?
Unshō Ishizuka (Known for his roles of Kizaru, Momochi Zabuza and Professor Oak).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMOApR_YDMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs7Qg_x_t3c.

Ikue Otani as Chopper in One Piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJf3Ru5v4o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSortrp3 ... re=related (She can make her voice deeper when Chopper is in Human mode).

Romi Park
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFNHPk5K1pI

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Kizaru's actor is already voicing Mister Satan. :P
SHINOBI-03 wrote:Not to steal the topic, but is there a Japanese Frank Welker?
The closest I can think of is Yamadera Kou'ichi.
She/Her
bisexual milf

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Kizaru's actor is already voicing Mister Satan. :P
SHINOBI-03 wrote:Not to steal the topic, but is there a Japanese Frank Welker?
The closest I can think of is Yamadera Kou'ichi.
But it doesnt suit him at all, comparing it to Daisuke Gori's.

The man did an awesome job voicing Zabuza, the Zabuza's arc was one of the best Arcs of Naruto.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Yeah, nobody can top Gouri but I don't see Ishizuka being recast as another Dragon Ball character if he's already taken on Mister Satan.

Anyway, I think Fukuyama Jun would be a pretty good Vegeta.
She/Her
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:28 am

I can't imagine anyone but Masako Nozawa as Goku, Gohan, and Goten. :(
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 am

I've never been too attached to the Japanese cast, but I do respect their work and I think more DBZ fans need to stop disregarding the original version of the dang series. But, yes, I would.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

KingofWisdom wrote:I've never been too attached to the Japanese cast, but I do respect their work and I think more DBZ fans need to stop disregarding the original version of the dang series. But, yes, I would.
Oh no, I'm not disregarding them! Of course, I believe that the original Japanese cast should definitely be respected; after all, they helped bring these characters to life. I was just stimulating discussion, that's all.