VHS Fansubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Re: VHS Fansubs

Post by takarajima » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 am

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am

Castor Troy wrote:I wouldn't want the physical tapes since I don't have a VCR anymore, but rather the tapes converted to dvds or digital files.
I have about three perfectly working VCR Players but like you, it'd be better transferred digitally to DVD or MP4 (AVI's container is outdated), and in its digital format it won't get those tape marks it gets from time to time.

Wish I had a VCR-DVD/PC because I've got a couple VHS's I want to throw away.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I wouldn't want the physical tapes since I don't have a VCR anymore, but rather the tapes converted to dvds or digital files.
I have about three perfectly working VCR Players but like you, it'd be better transferred digitally to DVD or MP4 (AVI's container is outdated), and in its digital format it won't get those tape marks it gets from time to time.

Wish I had a VCR-DVD/PC because I've got a couple VHS's I want to throw away.
So is mp4. MKV all the way, dude.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm

I used to have a ton of digitalised fansubs that I downloaded off Kazaa and the like over a decade ago. The encodes were probably horrid, but it's something! Unfortunately though, I couldn't find anything while digging through piles of old CDs.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 pm

sangofe wrote:So is mp4. MKV all the way, dude.
Well, MP4 does a much better job than AVI and it close to MKV, plus the scene groups have recently changed to MP4's container and wow, the quality got from good to fantastic (+ size decreased).

But ultimately, MKV is better, though for many systems MP4 is still the way to go!

PS3 is so powerful it can't even play MKV files (or play PS1/PS2 games perfectly), dang it! Yet a cheap (€10 or more) DTV receptor is able to.

Lost potential that's what it is.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
sangofe wrote:So is mp4. MKV all the way, dude.
Well, MP4 does a much better job than AVI and it close to MKV, plus the scene groups have recently changed to MP4's container and wow, the quality got from good to fantastic (+ size decreased).

But ultimately, MKV is better, though for many systems MP4 is still the way to go!

PS3 is so powerful it can't even play MKV files (or play PS1/PS2 games perfectly), dang it! Yet a cheap (€10 or more) DTV receptor is able to.

Lost potential that's what it is.
You could always get the PS3 Media Server. I used to run MKVs perfectly (it's a container not a codec by the way).
Hell, I was running blu-ray iso's on it. This application is dependent on your PC's power.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Jawdrahb wrote:
Thank you for sharing, your time is highly appreciated!
This can be 1 of 2 things, Fansubs(most likely) or raw recordings which I've purchased in the past.
My guess these are anime labs subs which you can find on the world wide web.

I'm more curious if these are the southeast asia subs.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Can anyone tell what part of the series it's from just by looking at the covers? I'd be interested in picking up some Boo saga tapes, but nothing before that.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Just posting here to vouch for Takarajima. I've sent him what of my old DBZ Fansub VHSes I can find, so now he has some Nippon Gold and Anime Labs Freeza saga eps. (and I think an S. Baldric Movie 5)

Editing in some other thoughts;
This can be 1 of 2 things, Fansubs(most likely) or raw recordings which I've purchased in the past.
The eBay description notes hard plastic cases, which I've rarely seen on anything produced in the US, but I tend to notice in Japanese VHS tapes. It's possible they're official release raws, if that's the case.

Also: for making video encodes, raw, uncompressed MPG would probably the least lossy way to go, but it's probably unrealistic to expect that for VHS fansubs.

Another idea I've thought of is recreating the subtitles themselves in scripts that can be used with Dragon Box videos or whatnot.
Last edited by KiddoCabbusses on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 pm

I have an S. Baldric movie 3 tape. It starts with a Final Fantasy commercial. I'll have it converted to DVD and post some caps once I'm done. I'll probably do it this weekend.
Also it's in a hard plastic case and has movie 4 art.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:42 pm

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:11 am

I don't know if I have anything particularly unique, but I THINK I have the following fansubs on VHS:

-The entire Z series
-All of the Z movies
-Z TV Specials (not too sure on this)
-Z OVAs, or whatever you want to call them...
-First 13 episodes or so of DragonBall (just the Nippon Golden Network ones, so absolutely nothing special here)
-Probably some of early GT

I don't remember which groups subtitled them, but I do seem to remember that some had humorous subtitles during the commercials (and yes, GLICO, or GLUICO, as I thought it sounded at the time).

I haven't touched these tapes in probably 10 years, so I have no idea if they have degraded or have been damaged, but I do think I still have all of them. They have just been sitting away in boxes, so they should be fine. I'll have to check them out and see.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:51 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:Just posting here to vouch for Takarajima. I've sent him what of my old DBZ Fansub VHSes I can find, so now he has some Nippon Gold and Anime Labs Freeza saga eps. (and I think an S. Baldric Movie 5)

Editing in some other thoughts;
It's possible they're official release raws, if that's the case.
Impossible. The DBZ TV anime has only been released on DVD in Japan.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:24 pm

sangofe wrote:Impossible. The DBZ TV anime has only been released on DVD in Japan.
Some of the boxarts suggested the theatrical movies (Check the first three there - M13 art, M10 art and M12 art), which are known to have VHS released - looking closely, though...

*Zooms in on the pictures*

It's probably a random, mixed batch, really. The first three, at the very least, look like they're meant to resemble the Japanese releases of the releases - I can even see "TOEI VIDEO" on the top right of each box.

The ones next to those, though, tend to be marked "DBZ Android Saga ## Episodes #-#" on the top left. The one below M13 is marked "Dragonball 1 Eternal Life", which sounds confusing but my be DBZ M1. The ones next to that have the same art but don't have that sticker. Are they the same product or no? How confusing.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:54 am

When I get back to Norway in June I will see IF I have the cd's of digitalized vhs fansubs somewhere... I used to have all of db z gt in this format, then I had DVD's of everything, in the same fashion, but those I know I gave away 4 years or something...

I, too, for the nostalgia and laughing factor would like to have those fansubs again.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:45 am

Jawdrahb wrote:
Thank you for sharing, your time is highly appreciated!
We should pm the seller and ask which episodes are covered...

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:13 am

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Alright, well, it's Monday, and I forgot to get it digitized over the weekend. Sorry about that. So for now, here's some pictures of the box. Is this the same as the Japanese cover art?
ImageImage
Mods, remove the images if I'm not allowed to post them.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:15 pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting images of this stuff :).

Yep, that's the original VHS cover for DBZ Movie 4.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::