VHS Fansubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Re: VHS Fansubs

Post by takarajima » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Yes, but I need to find some batteries.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 pm

takarajima wrote:Good news. We won the auction. Maybe a little bit pricey, but considering that there are a good number of people who will be helping to pay for it, each person will only have to pay a very small amount. Hooray for teamwork. :)
Nice! I assume you will PM us with information about how much we have to pay? I sure hope everyone keeps to their word and comes through with their cut of the total cost.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Found some batteries. My scanner kinda sucks, but rest assured that it doesn't look that much better in real life. It kinda screwed up around the middle, as you can see on the spine, but the front cover should be fine.
Bigger and less-compressed: http://i.imgur.com/Ak4JW.jpg
It's not a hassle at all. :)

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:49 pm

I am totally for preserving these fan subs. I think they are a very important part of the fandom, at least for a good chunk of the DaizEX community.

Unfortunately, like so many others, I just kinda shoved my fansubs aside when the official FUNimation VHS/DVDs starting coming out. God knows where they are now. I'll never forget that feeling of picking up tapes featuring episodes late in the Freeza saga (and GT, lol), while the Ocean dub seasons continued to repeat. Just crazy.

Spike_86

Post by Spike_86 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 pm

I wish I didn't throw all of my old tapes out. I had all of Dragon Ball from the Nippon Golden network, and a majority if not all of Z & GT along with the Movies and Specials. The thing I miss the most are the commercials! The old school games, next episode previews with the upcoming movies & my all time favourite food product campaigns. I know I had all of the original artwork from the films scanned and edited to fit a VHS box & I still may have a few that I specifically didn't toss out, so one day soon after renovations I will take a gander and let you know what I find.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 am

Does anyone know a good way of restoring scratched CDs? I found what appears to be a bunch of fansubs, but I can't get my PC to read any of the files properly because of how old and messed-up the discs are.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:57 am

If they're just light scratches, a rebuffing oughta do the trick.

Tough luck if it's a deep scratch or bitrot, though. At best it'd be possible to recover the corrupt files, but very difficult.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm actually really disappointed for not being part of the fandom during the fansub era. Would have been awesome to see these. The preservation website is amazing, though. Even with the incomplete sections I spent a good couple of hours there. Very entertaining, takarajima.
So mondo lame.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 pm

I just picked up one that was labeled as episode 37 at a swap meet. Unfortunately my VCR ate it, so I can't confirm what it has until it gets fixed... damn thing seems to have caught the tapes, but not plopped in place. :(

If it's just the dub I can go back again another time, but they only had the movies.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm

I was just watching really short clips of these VHS Fansubbed tapes on YouTube at lezzoDBZ's account, and wow, the audio quality sounded far better than on the Dragon Boxes but the subs have quite a lot of profanity. :P

Could someone get this to digital format? I'd like to see DBZ again but with clear broadcast audio.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

I remember when the Freeza arc was just kicking in on Cartoon Network, that was right around the time I started working odd jobs and mowing lawns just to buy some DBZ fansub tapes down at (what used to be) my local comic store. I mainly picked up movies 4-13, because they had 2 movies on 1 tape for $10. I also got the latter half of GT, and the last 20 episodes of so of the Boo arc, so yeah... whatever they had available at the time. It was a mish-mosh of episodes & movies, but I'm still glad I bought them, and kinda wish I didn't just randomly give them away several years ago.

Luckily, I have DVDs of all 3 series now, so I can just pop those in...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.