So what's next for Funimation?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

So what's next for Funimation?

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

What do you guys think that Funimation will do first?

1.) A new remaster for the Blu-rays
2.) Dragon-Box: The Movies
3.) the original Dragonball Dragon-Boxes

Any chance of seeing any of these this year?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: so what's next for Funimation?

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:19 pm

samuraix123 wrote:what do you guys think that Funimation will do first?
1.) A new remaster for the Blu-rays
2.) Dragon-Box: The Movies
3.) the original Dragonball Dragon-Boxes
Any chance of seeing any of these this year?
I don't know about this year but I hope they do Dragon Ball Dragon-Box first.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Definitely a "new remaster" of some sort. Funimation Rereleased so many versions of DBZ it's ridiculous. What they should do if they were to do more, is find the old Toonami DBZ promos and have them as a part of their extras, I would love that.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Definitely a "new remaster" of some sort. Funimation Rereleased so many versions of DBZ it's ridiculous. What they should do if they were to do more, is find the old Toonami DBZ promos and have them as a part of their extras, I would love that.
"new remaster", no offence but that brings horrible memories (thanks orange bricks).

They could release Franko's Transfer on DVD, or the Dragon Box on DVD without being a limited time product and so everyone would be happy to have the DBZ series with decent quality.

What's next?
- Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part Eight

Other than Kai Eight, it's all pretty much just guesses.

I'd like either:
A) Dragon Box Dragon Ball
B) Dragon Box Dragon Ball GT
C) Dragon Box Dragon Ball TM

As I own the PtEtSS on RB2 (720p HD) don't really see the need to own it on another release, but if FUNi ends up releasing it on Blu-ray, I might consider! :)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: So what's next for Funimation?

Post by dprez » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:24 pm

I see another Dragon Box release coming a year or two from now if they can't fix their blu-ray remastering process.

I would think that if they somehow are able to put the series on blu-ray, they would still release the Dragon Box Z movies if the blu-rays sell well. If they really can't do any possible blu-ray release for DBZ anytime soon, then they should release the original Dragon Ball Dragon Box first if they got what they wanted from the survey. That might not even be possible, so with some luck the movies may be the only other Dragon Box release we'll get. I think the best case scenario is we get one of the three they mentioned in the survey by a few years, and it's most likely to be the movies. :?

jukteen

Post by jukteen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Please no more re-releases/remaster of DBZ, focusing too much on it just get on with the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball GT/Dragon Ball Movies dragon box releases asap.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Well certainly Kai part 8 and the season sets of Kai.

Hopefully they'll give Z on BD a chance again.
A big dream right here but hopefully a season set of Z on BD with those recently released 5 episodes.

Probably more dragon boxes. (don't expect extras on the boxes either.) If the Z dragon Boxes didn't have any why would future dragon boxes have extras.

NO MORE releases of the movies unless its the movie dragon box.

Bottom line just sit back and see what funimation squeezes out of the DB franchise.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:28 pm

I think whatever they do will probably be it, I doubt they will renew the agreement with Toei for rights to release in north america.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:37 pm

enapace wrote:I think whatever they do will probably be it, I doubt they will renew the agreement with Toei for rights to release in north america.
Why would Funimation stop buying the licence for Dragonball to be released here in America when Dragonball is their cash cow? or were you speaking about them re-releasing Dragon-Box Z again?

Also I hope If Funimation decides to go ahead with another remaster for the Blu-rays they don't end up like the Orange Bricks. It just wouldn't make sense for them to make the awesomeness that was the level sets, then go back to crap.
But I hope we get the Dragonball Dragon-boxes :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:55 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
enapace wrote:I think whatever they do will probably be it, I doubt they will renew the agreement with Toei for rights to release in north america.
Why would Funimation stop buying the licence for Dragonball to be released here in America when Dragonball is their cash cow? or were you speaking about them re-releasing Dragon-Box Z again?

Also I hope If Funimation decides to go ahead with another remaster for the Blu-rays they don't end up like the Orange Bricks. It just wouldn't make sense for them to make the awesomeness that was the level sets, then go back to crap.
But I hope we get the Dragonball Dragon-boxes :)
Because If they renew the license it means they would have to make a new item else they would not gain back the money. What I was saying is they would have to either release the Dragon Boxes in North America or Find a new way to remaster DBZ with the Kai Blu-rays nearly fully released they need a new thing. I understand they have the season sets but I doubt just them would make enough to pay to re-license it.

I also hope they find a good cost effective way to remaster DBZ but also keep the quality that would be required to do a good Blu-ray master.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:14 pm

enapace wrote:Because If they renew the license it means they would have to make a new item else they would not gain back the money.
Doesn't FUNimation sub-license, though? Theoretically, they could license the franchise and sub-license it out to recoup the money, plus there would be any video game work, etc. Plus, they need the license in order to be able to legally sell the product they do have, so if they let the license expire, you wouldn't be able to just pick up the FUNimation version of the episodes on iTunes because the right to sell those episodes would no longer exist.

So... I see FUNimation continuing to renew their license until it either no longer makes sense from a business standpoint or Toei flat out refuses to renew.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:
enapace wrote:Because If they renew the license it means they would have to make a new item else they would not gain back the money.
Doesn't FUNimation sub-license, though? Theoretically, they could license the franchise and sub-license it out to recoup the money, plus there would be any video game work, etc. Plus, they need the license in order to be able to legally sell the product they do have, so if they let the license expire, you wouldn't be able to just pick up the FUNimation version of the episodes on iTunes because the right to sell those episodes would no longer exist.

So... I see FUNimation continuing to renew their license until it either no longer makes sense from a business standpoint or Toei flat out refuses to renew.
Video games don't belong to Toei and didn't realize they sub-licensed. I agree I am just saying I not sure without a major DB product they are going to make it might not be a good business decision just trying see it from there point of view is all but as a fan I hope they renew it. I would like to see a Dragon Box DB release a DBGT Dragon Box would be nice too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:37 pm

What's next for Funimation is more One Piece and hopefully if it gets made in Japan, a third season of Sekirei.

Hey, you asked what was next.

Will admit, I kinda would hope they would team with Toei to have an adaptation of Cross Epoch made, similar to how WEP had Toei do those Voltron eps made for America.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:25 pm

I was just referring to Dragonball only :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I think they're just concentrating on finishing the Kai releases for now... and possibly releasing the Dragon Boxes for the movies, DB, or GT in the near future. No word on if we'll ever see more DBZ Blu-Rays anytime soon...

They just can't seem to get the rights to the newer material (JSAT special, PtEtSS, and Episode of Bardock), so I'm starting to doubt we'll ever get that stuff outside of Japan (except for video game inclusion, or international streaming.)

I kind of hope they let Dragon Ball sit for a while, and focus on their other major franchises... shows like One Piece and Toriko have the potential to be more successful over here, if FUNimation buckles down and promotes those shows like crazy and stops riding the Dragon Ball gravy train for 15 years straight...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Yea I'm hoping Funi releases the Dragonball Dragonboxes. But as for the other specials, EoB, PtetSS, JSAT .....don't count on it!! Thank GOODNESS I own all of them. And as for the dvd extras....not happening either. Funi never puts extras on their dvd's, just trailers. I plan on putting in lots of over time at work so that I can just buy the original Dragonboxes. 
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:52 pm

TheNamekGio wrote:Yea I'm hoping Funi releases the Dragonball Dragonboxes. But as for the other specials, EoB, PtetSS, JSAT .....don't count on it!! Thank GOODNESS I own all of them. And as for the dvd extras....not happening either. Funi never puts extras on their dvd's, just trailers. I plan on putting in lots of over time at work so that I can just buy the original Dragonboxes. 
The OVAs of 2008-2011 aren't really that good compared to the Dragon Boxes DB, GT and TM. So FUNimation should bet their money on the Dragon Boxes instead of the new OVAs.

I'm thinking they'll end up releasing the Dragon Box TM and then DB/GT.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The OVAs of 2008-2011 aren't really that good compared to the Dragon Boxes DB, GT and TM. So FUNimation should bet their money on the Dragon Boxes instead of the new OVAs.

So you think yet another re-release will do better than new DB material? I'm glad you don't work for FUNi. :P
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:56 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:The OVAs of 2008-2011 aren't really that good compared to the Dragon Boxes DB, GT and TM. So FUNimation should bet their money on the Dragon Boxes instead of the new OVAs.

So you think yet another re-release will do better than new DB material? I'm glad you don't work for FUNi. :P
FUNi loves to release Z-stuff and most likely the Dragon Box TM is what's heading for us.

Krycek said the picture and sound of Dragon Box TM is amazing, and since he's a pretty trustworthy guy, I believe him. :)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:06 am

Dragonball Dragon Boxes would be nice.

Non Dragonball related but I hope they re-release 'The End of Evangelion' in Blu-Ray or something.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin