German Manga Questions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

German Manga Questions

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:50 am

Hello, I have a few questions for those who may be familiar with the German manga. I know a little bit of German, so that would be fun to read, but I also have heard that it is uncensored. My first question is, is it uncensored, and have the sound effects been translated? In general, how is the translation quality? Better or worse than Viz? Also, is this and or this a legitimate release? If not, what does the release should I get?

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: German Manga Questions

Post by Adamant » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 am

While not directly familiar with the German release, I am familiar with the Danish one, which was translated from the German one... so I should be able to answer your questions.

Unless you count stuff like in-panel writing, the art is uncensored. Sound effects are replaced with German equivalents, though they did put in the effort to make it look good. Translation quality is far beyond Viz.

Both the books you link to are legitimate, yes - I'm not familiar with the first one, but it says "Sammelband-Edition", so I'd assume it's something along the lines of the Vizbigs.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 pm

That's perfect, thanks. I'll pick one of these up later.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Hello, I have a few questions for those who may be familiar with the German manga. I know a little bit of German, so that would be fun to read, but I also have heard that it is uncensored. My first question is, is it uncensored, and have the sound effects been translated?
It's uncensored.
Like Adamant said, the "sound effects" were translated.
In general, how is the translation quality? Better or worse than Viz?
I'd say it's worse than Viz. I can't write down all altered names and stupid/false translations, but overall I find the translation rather bad.
There a things like Son-Goku, Son-Gohan, Son-Goten, Jindujun (Kinto'un), Yamchu, Pool (Pu'er), stupid slang talk, unfitting curse words and so on.
Also, is this and or this a legitimate release? If not, what does the release should I get?
This "Sammelband" (anthology) is like Viz' omnibus/big edition. Just more chapters than the normal volume. I don't know how many there are. I think the pages are a little smaller than usually.
"Das Geheimnis der Drachenkugeln" (Secret of the Dragonballs) is the first volume with the same amount of pages than the regulary Japanese Tankobon release.

Unfortunately there is no German Kanzenban edition.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Timo wrote:I'd say it's worse than Viz. I can't write down all altered names and stupid/false translations, but overall I find the translation rather bad.
There a things like Son-Goku, Son-Gohan, Son-Goten, Jindujun (Kinto'un), Yamchu, Pool (Pu'er), stupid slang talk, unfitting curse words and so on.
Really? He said it was better and you say it's worse. I guess all I can do is wait until I get it to find out for myself.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, to be fair, the translation of the dialogs isn't that bad in the first volumes. Although the altered names are always there of course (and most of them are pretty stupid). Overall it's just not a good translation.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Timo wrote:Overall it's just not a good translation.
That's stretching things quite a bit. It has its issues, sure, but it's definitely a better translation than Viz's. I've done side-by-side comparisons of the original and Viz' and Carlsen's translation, there's absolutely no questioning which is better here.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:31 am

Perhaps you should do a written comparison of a chapter or two of those releases so that we can also see which one is better.

oldboy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by oldboy88 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:19 pm

rereboy wrote:Perhaps you should do a written comparison of a chapter or two of those releases so that we can also see which one is better.
shame on me, but i ony know the german translation of the manga (i know about the name changes for shure),
i cant judge about the translation becouse i dont know what translation would be the accurate one that i could read too to compare,
since i dont understand moonlanguage, what would be the english reference for such an comparison?
is there some kind of english fantranslation that would be the nearest reference?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:28 pm

oldboy88 wrote:
rereboy wrote:Perhaps you should do a written comparison of a chapter or two of those releases so that we can also see which one is better.
shame on me, but i ony know the german translation of the manga (i know about the name changes for shure),
i cant judge about the translation becouse i dont know what translation would be the accurate one that i could read too to compare,
since i dont understand moonlanguage, what would be the english reference for such an comparison?
is there some kind of english fantranslation that would be the nearest reference?
Perhaps this thread? http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=9759
Anyway, I did get it a week or so ago, and I do like it. (Other than me getting the really tiny Sammelband...>_>) I think I might get a few of both, being a few German volumes and a few Viz, and maybe one day all of both. Because honestly, I don't hate Viz's manga, I like it in fact, though there's obviously a few problems with it.

oldboy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by oldboy88 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Tr: Long, long ago, deep in some mountains thousands of kilometers from the city…this fantastic story begins from such a place, for the time being…
German: Unsere Geschichte beginnt vor langer Zeit, tausende von Kilometern von der Hauptstadt entfernt, tief in den Bergen ...
GTR:: Our Story begins a long time ago, thousands of kilometers from the capital city away, deep in the mountains ...
Tr: Yo, heya!
German: Guten Morgen!
GTR: Good Morning!
In the original, as it closes in on Goku’s tail, the giant fish wonders if the tail belongs to a monkey or a mountain cat, but in Viz he instead says “Got ya, ya dumb-butt little monkey!!” (the “got ya” part is in the original, just not the rest).
German: Ein Affe oder eine Bergkatze? Egal, der gehört mir!
GTR: A monkey or a mountain cat? Whatever, he´s mine!
In Japanese, Goku believes Bulma to be a youkai, a term for all manner of spooks and specters that's a bit hard to translate since it has unique connotations but is still rather vague at the same time. Look it up on Wikipedia. Viz translates it as "demon", which is fine, although youkai isn't the same term used for the various demons who turn up later in the series, like Piccolo Daimao and his men.
In the german Carlsen Edition Son Goku calls Bulma a Monster.
In the original, when Goku describes how Bulma is different from him, he says she is “frail and weak”, while in Viz he calls her “softer…and bumpier!”. “Softer” is in keeping with the original, but “bumpier” is an…interesting choice.
In the german Carlsen Edition Son Goku says Bulma looks "zerbrechlich und schwach ~ frail and weak" ...
For whatever reason, Viz has Bulma call Goku a “he-man” where in the original she just calls him a man/male.
Carlsen has Bulma call Goku a "Junge ~ Boy" ...
Bulma’s immediate reaction to Goku being surprised to learn she’s a woman:

Tr: What a Hick
Viz: Heh-loh!!
German: Was für ein komischer Kauz ...
GTR: What a fogey ...
In the original Goku asks Bulma if she’s from the city (miyako), but in Viz it’s “civilization”. This is the second time in the chapter that miyako/city gets rendered as “civilization” (the first time being the opening narration), probably because in this case it doesn’t refer to a specific city but just a generalized idea of “the city”.
In German goku asks Bulma if shes from the CAPITALcity ....again like in the narration.
[*]
Bulma’s reaction to Goku’s house

Tr: What a dilapidated house.
Viz: Not much for home repair, are you?
German: "Ganz schön klein ..."
GTR: "pretty small ..."
[**]
In the original Goku calls the 4-star ball his memento/keepsake (katami) of his grandfather, but Viz has him call it his grandfather’s “last possession”. Is this just another way of saying memento that I’m unfamiliar with?
was this related to this panel?
It would translate as (from right to left): Hey! Dont touch my Grandpa! - Thats everything for me what was left from him" <-- (SOrry, could do better) not even a girl must not touch this!"

[**]
Goku, on being told these strange spheres are called “dragonballs”

Tr: Dragon…balls?
Viz: Y’mean…some poor dragon?
Exact like the original "Dragon ... Balls?"
[***]
When Bulma’s explaining about the second dragonball she found, in the original she says she found it 10 days ago, but this gets left out in Viz. And I’m giving that 3 stars because I’m a chronology nut.
Bulma Says "This one i found ten days ago" (Die hier hab ich vor zehn Tagen gefunden.)

[***]
When Bulma introduces the dragon radar, in Viz she instead simply calls it her “ball detector” for some reason.
In german translation she just calls it "radar" ... not dragon radar, just "radar"
[**]
Goku’s reaction to Bulma’s name

Tr: Bulma!? Hahah, that’s a strange name.
Viz: Doesn’t that mean “bloomers”?! Haw!!

Tr: Hahaha-----Bulma, huh----
Viz: Hahaha “Bloomers”!!

Presumably this is Viz changing the dialog a bit to make the pun in Bulma’s name more obvious to an English audience.
In german translation gokus says: Bulma?! Ha, Ha! Das ist aber ein doofer Name."
GTR: Bulma?! Ha, Ha! Thats a STUPID name though.
[*]
When Bulma is tossing her capsule, Viz has her say “Thar she blows!!”, while in the original she just says “get away” and whatnot.
German: Schnell, in Deckung! Mach schon!
GTR: Quick, get down! Go ahead!
[*]
Goku uses the Nyoibo for the first time

Tr: Staff, extend!!!
Viz: OK staff--do your stuff!
German: Wachse, mein Stab! Wachse!
GTR: Grow, my Staff! Grow!
[***]
Tr: Well well, what on Earth will happen next in Goku and Bulma’s great adventure?...Tune in next time!

Viz: Remember your Chinese fairly tales? You don’t? Not even the impish monkey king and his magic staff, the Nyoibo? Oh well…drop in next time and you’ll learn…

I’d assume that Viz simply wanted to use the closing narration to explain a bit about all the references to Journey to the West, which would be unfamiliar to an English audience. Incidentally, while Sun Wukong’s staff in Journey to the West is called Nyoibo in Japanese, just like Goku’s weapon, in Chinese it would be Ru Yi Bang.
German: Auf ihrer Suche nach den Dragon Balls haben Son-Goku und Bulma ihr erstes Abenteuer heil überstanden! Doch wie gehts wohl weiter?
GTR: In their search of the dragon balls Son-Goku and Bulma did overcome their first adventure whole! But how will it go on? (~ Whats next?)
Last edited by oldboy88 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow, thanks for typing that all up!