Toonami to return on 5/26/12!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:41 pm

funrush wrote:Wow, all the internet rumors are slowly becoming true! Maybe this could be like Cartoon Network's version of Nick's 90's are All That.
That already sort of exists, it's called Cartoon Planet.

I stayed up and followed along with the chat up until...YuYu I think and recorded everything else. It was a fun nostalgia trip. As for the block returning permanently I have mixed feelings and unfortunately the more I think about it, the more apathetic I feel.

For a Toonami revival to both catch my interest and survive, it's gonna have change a lot. It cannot last long enough on the nostalgia push. Unlike Teenick's retro block, all these shows are both available on DVD and more uncut on the format. I'm not even sure I would continue watching if Toonami didn't change with the times, which the airing on April Fools did show signs of, thankfully.

Other than that I just hope people will settle down about it, be thankful we even got the block one more time. And thankfully, without Tom-4...*shudders*
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Just what we need. A new crop of people indoctrinated with that horrific DBZ dub.

Expect to see an influx of people here whose favorite quote is "Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

Forget DBZ or even anime, I want The Herculoids to return!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

penguintruth wrote:Just what we need. A new crop of people indoctrinated with that horrific DBZ dub.

Expect to see an influx of people here whose favorite quote is "Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

Forget DBZ or even anime, I want The Herculoids to return!
New fans are new fans regardless. More people to buy the products, to hopefully support the show, and so on. That and, it's not unheard of for a dub fan to eventually check out that original version of the show, you know.

I for one am all for a return of Toonami, though I'm not sure they should just slap DBZ on there. If anything, I think they should put Kai on there, to get it better exposure outside of Nicktoons.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: New fans are new fans regardless. More people to buy the products, to hopefully support the show, and so on. That and, it's not unheard of for a dub fan to eventually check out that original version of the show, you know.
New fans aren't fans if the version they're watching/loving isn't the real thing. They'll be just as blinded as the nostalgia maniacs.

And generally, people are more apt to check out only whatever's the most convenient version, and that happens to be the English dub.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:48 pm

The forum's back up for a single day and you're already parading out your "they're not real fans" card?

Please remember where it is you are and how you're expected to act. This nonsense was not welcome before, and it's not welcome now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

I'd love to see Toonami back. It's been a bit weird watching Kai on Nicktoons and especially 4kids.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:07 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
funrush wrote:Wow, all the internet rumors are slowly becoming true! Maybe this could be like Cartoon Network's version of Nick's 90's are All That.
That already sort of exists, it's called Cartoon Planet.

I stayed up and followed along with the chat up until...YuYu I think and recorded everything else. It was a fun nostalgia trip. As for the block returning permanently I have mixed feelings and unfortunately the more I think about it, the more apathetic I feel.

For a Toonami revival to both catch my interest and survive, it's gonna have change a lot. It cannot last long enough on the nostalgia push. Unlike Teenick's retro block, all these shows are both available on DVD and more uncut on the format. I'm not even sure I would continue watching if Toonami didn't change with the times, which the airing on April Fools did show signs of, thankfully.

Other than that I just hope people will settle down about it, be thankful we even got the block one more time. And thankfully, without Tom-4...*shudders*
I haven't watched CN in weeks, didn't know about Cartoon Planet. Thanks for telling me. Yeah, I will be really mad if they decide to bring Tom 4 back. Tom 3 was pretty much undoubtedly the best Tom.

If Toonami is to be brought back, I'd love to see:
DBKai
DBZ (Buu Saga)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Bleach
Naruto Shippuden (XD has it on hiatus, so it could be possible)
Death Note
Tenchi Muyo

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Look, if Hamtaro isn't coming back I just couldn't care less.

Seriously though, I'm excited to see if the outcry is big enough to land Toonami back on air. I'm pretty dissapointed I missed the original airing. Here's hoping the classic DBZ makes a return.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Penguin Truth, theres ideal ways to look at things, and realistic ways to look at things.

Ideally, for me a new Toonami Block (that lasts 5 hours) looks like this:

Bleach > Inuyasha: The Final Act (whenever Viz gets around to releasing this) > Soul Eater > Kaze no Stigma > Dragon Ball Kai > Tenchi Muyo Rhyo Ohki (seasons 1-3) > Outlaw Star > Big O > Young Justice > Justice League

Realistically, I'd expect it'd look more like this:

Bleach > *insert one new show here* > Dragon Ball Z > Gundam Wing > Tenchi Muyo Rhyo Ohki season 3 > Yu Yu Hakusho > Outlaw Star > Big O > Astro Boy > Gigantor

I'd be happy to have Toonami back at all, with Dragon Ball anything - because while I often disagree with dub fans interpretations of what the show IS - them being around and buying lots of Dragon Ball stuff means more niche stuff is made available that I can get. It's the same reason Nintendo gets away with releasing niche stuff on the backs of their sales of Pokemon generica (NOTE: The mainline Pokemon games are solid titles, I am reffering to all the side games). The more sucessful something is, the more the company behind it is willing to try more out there things (we already got the Dragon Boxes which was probably expected to be a loss by FUNimation from day one, but we got them because they could afford that loss).
-Laserkid

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Watching DBZ again on CN would mean the show would be edited and the old dub to me is just awful to sit through. The dub is not very good once you remove the nostalgia glasses off and noticed how bad it is. Once I started to watch the show in subs when I was like 13, I was unable to go back to the dub.

I hear Toonami did play MST3000 and Rifftrax on April 1st, but I went to sleep when they play the 3rd Tenchi Muyo! OVA? I would imagine that they would have played first two Tenchi OVA's since they came out in 1999 or 2000 in the US while the 3rd OVA was not even dubbed until 2007 IIRC?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:07 pm

If Toonami came back, is it really going to most likely air on Adult Swim? I mean, it would be nicer since censorship would be less of a worry, but I figured that if they wanted to have better overal ratings (and a wider introduction the the younger audiences), they would just air it during regular hours on Cartoon Network. Either way it would truly be amazing if Toonami actually comes back. :)

Since I have a strong feeling that this is going to happen, I hope the lineup won't ALL be reruns of previous anime that aired on the block, although my preference would be that they should do a "half and half" sorta thing. As for my wishlist for shows to air? Well, I know Bleach is obvious, maybe throw in One Piece too, I'm not sure if bringing Kai would be a high chance since I have a feeling that Nicktoons probably has some kind of exclusive airing rights or something. Maybe they could also add other shows from Adult Swim's current anime lineup too, like Cowboy Bebop and FLCL.

I hope they don't reuse TOM 3 like they did on that April Fools special, it would just look really cheap and lazy if they did that IMO. They should make a new design for him, probably a hybrid mix of TOM 2 and 3, that would look nice.
Last edited by Son Geeko on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hear Toonami did play MST3000 and Rifftrax on April 1st, but I went to sleep when they play the 3rd Tenchi Muyo! OVA?
No, you're thinking of Toonami Aftermath. The site got a HUGE exposure on that Saturday night and some people believe it's been a secret official Toonami continuation when in reality it's not. I can't go into too much detail here on it but that's what MST3000 and Rifftrax was on.

I am in no way supporting TA on this forum though, mods.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:02 pm

laserkid wrote:Tenchi Muyo Rhyo Ohki season 3
The suffering. The suffering.

Can I get a Schemen?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Kinda agree with you on that penguintruth. While that night was the first time I saw that one, and I only saw part of it, hearing Mona Marshall's Ryoko took me out of it. Probably due to my just being so used to Petrea Burchard. Will say, I wouldn't mind a new block having Shippuden, One Piece, ThunderCats 2011, Green Lantern and Young Justice though.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Not having the original Ryoko dub voice was the least of that third OVA's problems.

But as this is a DBZ forum, I should refrain.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 pm

If Toonami is actually going to come back, Kai should be in Z's place if Funimation are being more respectful to the franchise. They've already got masters ready for use so it's just up to AS to chose whether to buy airing rights or not.

OFF TOPIC: This is the perfect chance for One Piece to make a comeback on TV.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 am

The only things I would bother watching a resurrected Toonami for would be pre-21st centurty Tenchi Muyo! or the first Dragon Ball series. It would need to offer newer programming, obviously.
Last edited by B on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:57 am

For a new Toonami to work, it'd have be it be its own thing while keeping true to what made the original Toonami so special in the first place. Sure, the shows were (mostly) great, but it was the atmosphere that kept people coming back. There's a reason why I rewatch those promos time and time again; Toonami had a certain quality surrounding the entire program, and it treated its viewers with a rare level of respect that typically isn't seen in most children programming.

Also, the block shouldn't be filled with obvious choices (Bleach, One Piece, DBZ, etc) I really think that AS needs to dig deep to find shows that'll interest not only old-school fans but newcomers as well.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:40 am

Perhaps this was more of a test and less of a prank? I mean usually the Adult Swim pranks are things we don't really want or things that are kinda funny. Like that year they added fart noises to Full Metal Alchemist.

But this? I feel like it was a test run for... something. Anyone agree, or think this is just crazy ol' Tanooki spouting out his crazy ideas again?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 am

Given that Williams Street has several times complained about how difficult it has been for them to get new shows for the saturday anime night, and that they have had trouble with ratings because of it (and that they are locked into that night being anime), I wouldn't doubt this was a test run to see if a Toonami shell with some old stuff would interest people.
-Laserkid