Toonami to return on 5/26/12!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Honestly it should take over the Saturday AS slot and show new anime, keep Bleach and then show new anime. Showing the old stuff will get old eventually.

I only tune in on AS on Saturday for Bleach since its the only thing with new eps.

Even they do plan on bring back Toonami, it could be months before we hear anything concrete.

User avatar
saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 am

Dbz Kai Toonami Season 4 opening. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqpNq7X ... e=youtu.be

(Just something I felt like making rather randomly. Anyways, on to making a serious contribution to this thread)

If they really want to make a splash, they need to somehow or someway get the rights to air Dbz Kai uncut. Maybe that way, it would kill a lot of the ignorance out there about Kai. . .well, except those whining about it not having the Faulconer score I guess. Not that I would watch it(replacement score--can't stand it), but it would certainly make Kai a lot more visible to the generation that watched Z.

CN should air One Piece uncut as well. That could be there tw big blockbusters right there. . .not that I would watch it either(cause I really don't watch tv). But it would be nice to have at least one block in America that can show animation in a more mature, serious light without having to play up to kiddies.

Only if they revive toonami as apart of adult swim anyways, I suppose. And really, I don't really see why they wouldn't. The reason it seemed to have died was the people who grew up in the "golden" days had long since stopped watching the program. Because well. . .they got older, and who's going to sit and watched a bunch of edited anime when there's an alternative uncut solution available. The whole purpose of a revival to me would be to target the people who did watch it in the day, with a nice combination of nostalgic shows, and new ones(like Kai or One Piece, or other new properties) pretty much left untouched(mostly, anyways).
Twitter https://twitter.com/SUNFIRESARAH Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/sunfiresarah
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18094&p=491107#p491107

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:05 am

I really do hope if Toonami is returning, especially on Adult Swim that they will air Kai and One Piece uncut. One Piece really needs it much more though since Funimation is only relying on DVD sales to keep having the motivation to dub it. Kai Uncut would be a pleasure to see though, replacement score or not but I doubt I'd watch it since I already have it uncut w/ Yamamoto for 3 of my current 6 sets.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:35 am

Gonstead wrote:I really do hope if Toonami is returning, especially on Adult Swim that they will air Kai and One Piece uncut. One Piece really needs it much more though since Funimation is only relying on DVD sales to keep having the motivation to dub it. Kai Uncut would be a pleasure to see though, replacement score or not but I doubt I'd watch it since I already have it uncut w/ Yamamoto for 3 of my current 6 sets.

Yeah, it could be the thing One Piece needs to finally get over in the U.S. I think getting off tv was probably the best thing for it--to make people forget about the now legendary 4kids dub. Not to mention, with a TV deal, that means they'd have a crap ton of future *new* content to provide. All in all, I think everyone wins one way or another whether you have an actual interest in a Toonami revival or not. I'd like to see it, simply because it might mean more business for Funimation, and anime in general.
Twitter https://twitter.com/SUNFIRESARAH Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/sunfiresarah
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18094&p=491107#p491107

User avatar
Daimo-Rukiri
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1529
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am
Location: U..S..A..

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:Honestly it should take over the Saturday AS slot and show new anime, keep Bleach and then show new anime. Showing the old stuff will get old eventually.

I only tune in on AS on Saturday for Bleach since its the only thing with new eps.

Even they do plan on bring back Toonami, it could be months before we hear anything concrete.
If they do bring back Toonami, I would probably guess they would start airing it during the summer. That would be the best time to officially start airing as kids are out of school, but kids that would actually remember Toonami are now in College or are Juniors-Seniors in High School.

Adult Swim doesn't make sense half the time, this could just be one of their gags but considering this aired on a Saturday night it is possible that Toonami will just be Adult Swims anime block which would be cool. Adult Swim starts airing at 8PM Central time now but they don't start airing anime until like 11 or midnight so if toonami were to come back I'd probably guess a 10PM-4:30AM time slot or it's original 2 hour slot. They could probably do the midnight run sort of thing, I'm more interested if they make any toonami specific stuff as in how TOM 3(the good TOM) is back as I didn't really like Tom 4 that much.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

User avatar
Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Over The Hills

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm

I can't believe I missed this. Really pissed right now.

If it does return, I'd be a dedicated viewer as long as it stays true to its roots. No new programs.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Zarathustra wrote: If it does return, I'd be a dedicated viewer as long as it stays true to its roots. No new programs.
You expect them to just cater to your nostalgia?

Also, some of those shows don't hold up at all, especially in English.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by orangebrick94 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Zarathustra wrote: If it does return, I'd be a dedicated viewer as long as it stays true to its roots. No new programs.
You expect them to just cater to your nostalgia?

Also, some of those shows don't hold up at all, especially in English.
...........You know what Penquin Truth?This entire response was rude.Everything you post is rude.You never have one nice thing to say,Your also the exact same way on the Ann forums.Whats it matter if people like the English dub?In my opinion the Japanese and English dubs are both great.So why single out everyone who likes an English dub.As far as I'm concerned you should be ashamed of yourself for being blatantly obnoxious to people.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16743
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Please let the moderation team take care of the moderation. Furthermore, with that kind of writing style, you're really in no position to be offering advice to other members.

It was a blunt statement, but it was also a fair question -- should Toonami exclusively cater to the tastes of its fans that remember it from their golden age when they were kids? That would serve that single audience, and not even the entirety of it (many have moved on, don't care, etc.). What would that accomplish? The most logical (and therefore the most likely-to-be-profitable) business decision would be to simultaneously leverage their older audience AS WELL AS reach out to a newer audience.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by orangebrick94 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Please let the moderation team take care of the moderation. Furthermore, with that kind of writing style, you're really in no position to be offering advice to other members.

It was a blunt statement, but it was also a fair question -- should Toonami exclusively cater to the tastes of its fans that remember it from their golden age when they were kids? That would serve that single audience, and not even the entirety of it (many have moved on, don't care, etc.). What would that accomplish? The most logical (and therefore the most likely-to-be-profitable) business decision would be to simultaneously leverage their older audience AS WELL AS reach out to a newer audience.
I understand where your coming from Mr EX but whats wrong with my writing style?

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:53 pm

I think that catering soley to the old Toonami crowd is a mistake. The people of that period are adults now, it's not their time anymore. That era has passed. If Toonami is to stay relevant, it has to have new shows.

And frankly, a lot of the old shows, especially the English versions of those shows, may have been impressive at the time, but aren't so much now. I'm not even necessarily referring to DBZ, though my feelings on that are well-known.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by orangebrick94 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:01 pm

penguintruth wrote:I think that catering soley to the old Toonami crowd is a mistake. The people of that period are adults now, it's not their time anymore. That era has passed. If Toonami is to stay relevant, it has to have new shows.

And frankly, a lot of the old shows, especially the English versions of those shows, may have been impressive at the time, but aren't so much now. I'm not even necessarily referring to DBZ, though my feelings on that are well-known.
I agree with you there.If Toonami wants to stay relevant they need new shows.But it would also be cool if they threw a couple of classics in the mix.

User avatar
Pokewhiz7
I Live Here
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: United States

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 pm

orangebrick94 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I think that catering soley to the old Toonami crowd is a mistake. The people of that period are adults now, it's not their time anymore. That era has passed. If Toonami is to stay relevant, it has to have new shows.

And frankly, a lot of the old shows, especially the English versions of those shows, may have been impressive at the time, but aren't so much now. I'm not even necessarily referring to DBZ, though my feelings on that are well-known.
I agree with you there.If Toonami wants to stay relevant they need new shows.But it would also be cool if they threw a couple of classics in the mix.
I don't think he was denying that. He was just saying that they shouldn't focus only on old stuff.

User avatar
orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by orangebrick94 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I don't think he was denying that. He was just saying that they shouldn't focus only on old stuff.
Yeah man, I know. I totally agree.

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm

It is really exciting to hear the potential return of Toonami

If it did Return this would be my dream lineup

10:00-10:30pm Dragon Ball
10:30-11:00pm Dragon Ball Z
11:00-11:30pm Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
11:30-12:00am Bleach
12:00-12:30am Rurouni Kenshin Air the entire series start to finish
12:30-1:00am Yu-Yu-Hakusho Same as Above
1:00-1:30am One Piece
1:30-2:00am Fairy Tale
2:00-2:30am Dragon Ball Z Kai
2:30-3:00am Naruto Shipuden

Once Every Quarter In each year have a movie Day where 3 hours of the time slot show anime movies

This List would Include
All 16 Dragon Ball Movies
All 4 Dragon Ball Tv Specials
FMA The Conquerer of Shambala
FMA The Sacred Star of Milos
Yu-Yu-Hakusho the Movie
Bleach The Movie
Bleach Fade to Black I Call Thy Name
Samurai X The Movie
Samurai X Trust, Betrayal & Reflection
Naruto Shipuden the Movie

This mock up schedule would have a perfect balance of Nostalgia Shows with Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, and Dragon Ball Z. It would also have the new heavy hitting shows that a new Toonami would need to be successful :Bleach, DBZ Kai, FMA Brotherhood, One Piece, Naruto Shipuden, and Fairy Tale. In addition this would be the first time all of Yu-Yu-Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin would be shown Uncut in its entirety on Toonami.

I also think short Anime's could be aired in one special night such as Ikki Tousen or B Gatta H Kei for a Valentines Day special day. The Only negative of my proposed schedule is the lack of Comedy Animes this could solve that issue.

Thoughts/Comments?????

User avatar
orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by orangebrick94 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:40 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:It is really exciting to hear the potential return of Toonami

If it did Return this would be my dream lineup

10:00-10:30pm Dragon Ball
10:30-11:00pm Dragon Ball Z
11:00-11:30pm Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
11:30-12:00am Bleach
12:00-12:30am Rurouni Kenshin Air the entire series start to finish
12:30-1:00am Yu-Yu-Hakusho Same as Above
1:00-1:30am One Piece
1:30-2:00am Fairy Tale
2:00-2:30am Dragon Ball Z Kai
2:30-3:00am Naruto Shipuden

Once Every Quarter In each year have a movie Day where 3 hours of the time slot show anime movies

This List would Include
All 16 Dragon Ball Movies
All 4 Dragon Ball Tv Specials
FMA The Conquerer of Shambala
FMA The Sacred Star of Milos
Yu-Yu-Hakusho the Movie
Bleach The Movie
Bleach Fade to Black I Call Thy Name
Samurai X The Movie
Samurai X Trust, Betrayal & Reflection
Naruto Shipuden the Movie

This mock up schedule would have a perfect balance of Nostalgia Shows with Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, and Dragon Ball Z. It would also have the new heavy hitting shows that a new Toonami would need to be successful :Bleach, DBZ Kai, FMA Brotherhood, One Piece, Naruto Shipuden, and Fairy Tale. In addition this would be the first time all of Yu-Yu-Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin would be shown Uncut in its entirety on Toonami.

I also think short Anime's could be aired in one special night such as Ikki Tousen or B Gatta H Kei for a Valentines Day special day. The Only negative of my proposed schedule is the lack of Comedy Animes this could solve that issue.

Thoughts/Comments?????
I think that's a great lineup!I think Case Closed should fit in their too. its ashame that Adult Swim Cancelled it,And Funimation stopped Dubbing after season 5.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 pm

I very much doubt Cartoon Network's going to air two different versions of DBZ. It'll probably just be DBZ with the Faulconer score. Kai is already airing on two channels.

I'd definitely like to see the original Dragon Ball (whose dub was tolerable) on Toonami, though.

One Piece is a good choice. Fairy Tale might be good, too.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Perfect
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 am

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Perfect » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 pm

If anything, this would work out well for FUNimation and other license holders to advertise DBZ merchandise and related materials like they used to. FUNimation is doing a rather poor job of advertising their DB releases, along with VIZ. At least Ultimate Tenkaichi and its predecessors had commercials on cable and satellite. I suppose, "it's making enough revenue to pay for production and our salaries" is the cutoff, seeing that they could really be shooting it out there like the old days.

If not FUNimation, at least CN would do a good job of getting the word out, much like they contributed beforehand. I can only hope that the whole "61 million fans can't be wrong" spew can come to fruition again. I wonder if that was a homage to the old "50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong" album.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13917
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:16 pm

penguintruth wrote:I very much doubt Cartoon Network's going to air two different versions of DBZ. It'll probably just be DBZ with the Faulconer score. Kai is already airing on two channels.

I'd definitely like to see the original Dragon Ball (whose dub was tolerable) on Toonami, though.

One Piece is a good choice. Fairy Tale might be good, too.
None of those titles will work. Toonami would have to air on multiple days of the week with at least seven-to-fourteen 'premiers' a week. How likely is that going to bring in money when [as] has to worry about making actual money (with the Fox titles) and juggling their original titles? Hundreds of episodes long titles that they have to spend a lot of money on with little insurance of making a profit on them isn't going to fly.
She/Her | Extremely Online MILF | Want to be a girl? Click here! | My girlfriend told me to log off, so I'm logging off. 💜

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2285
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Perfect wrote:If anything, this would work out well for FUNimation and other license holders to advertise DBZ merchandise and related materials like they used to. FUNimation is doing a rather poor job of advertising their DB releases, along with VIZ. At least Ultimate Tenkaichi and its predecessors had commercials on cable and satellite. I suppose, "it's making enough revenue to pay for production and our salaries" is the cutoff, seeing that they could really be shooting it out there like the old days.

If not FUNimation, at least CN would do a good job of getting the word out, much like they contributed beforehand. I can only hope that the whole "61 million fans can't be wrong" spew can come to fruition again. I wonder if that was a homage to the old "50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong" album.

They did? I don't remember ever hearing about TV ads for games after Burst Limit.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Locked