Toonami to return on 5/26/12!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Toonami may potentially return.

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote:None of those titles will work. Toonami would have to air on multiple days of the week with at least seven-to-fourteen 'premiers' a week. How likely is that going to bring in money when [as] has to worry about making actual money (with the Fox titles) and juggling their original titles? Hundreds of episodes long titles that they have to spend a lot of money on with little insurance of making a profit on them isn't going to fly.
By that very reasoning, why bring back Toonami at all?

Long-runners mean dedicated viewers who might stick around to watch the other shows.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:04 pm

penguintruth wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:None of those titles will work. Toonami would have to air on multiple days of the week with at least seven-to-fourteen 'premiers' a week. How likely is that going to bring in money when [as] has to worry about making actual money (with the Fox titles) and juggling their original titles? Hundreds of episodes long titles that they have to spend a lot of money on with little insurance of making a profit on them isn't going to fly.
By that very reasoning, why bring back Toonami at all?
Or "Why air Bleach or Inuyasha on AS?", to bring an example of what they've done even before this idea came up?
Longrunners have already been an AS staple even before this came up. I don't see how that'll change.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:29 am

10:00-10:30pm Dragon Ball(From Dragonball to GT)
10:30-11:00pm Yu-Yu-Hakusho
11:00-11:30pm Tenchi Muyo
11:30-12:00am Rurouni Kenshin
12:00-12:30am Bleach
12:30-1:00am One Piece
1:00-1:30am Fairy Tale
1:30-2:00am Naruto Shippuden
2:00-2:30am InuYasha The Final Act
2:30-3:00am Salior Moon

CN would have to wrestle the rights from Disney when it comes to Naruto.

The idea behind my list is the Toonami starts off with some old shows to drawn in the nostalgia crowd and then prime time(Which start at Midnight on Sat for AS) is devoted to new stuff. The block ends with an old show since as time moves on people will be falling asleep.

To be honest which old shows to be shown should be voted on by the fans.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 am

Saimaroimaru wrote:10:00-10:30pm Dragon Ball(From Dragonball to GT)
1:00-1:30am Fairy Tale

CN would have to wrestle the rights from Disney when it comes to Naruto.
Disney hasn't aired it in like, half a year. Maybe they could be willing to sell the rights.

Running Wild

Post by Running Wild » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 am

If Toonami returns, they absolutely must have One Piece. One Piece really needs the exposure, I've enjoyed the dub up to the Alabasta Arc, and I'm just about to dip into Skypeia where Toonami left off before it went kaputsky.

If Sailor Moon somehow reemerged with a new dub, that would be amazing... the re-release of the manga has been doing pretty well I hear, maybe it could warrant another run for the anime, hopefully even reach the final season.

There's a lot of classics worth revisiting, but new stuff is important too... but from my point of view, most of the new stuff today... it just doesn't cater to the kind of action and storytelling Toonami was known for. We seem to live in an era of anime full of school romances, slice of life, lolicon and "moe", those are the things that seem to be the big money makers right now. There's still a huge selection of Shonen titles, but it's not what it used to be and most of the good ones are titles that have been running for years now.

I think Tiger & Bunny would be right up Toonami's ally and fit in nicely.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:47 pm

A broadcast version of One Piece might even get me into the series again. I basically quit because it was WAY too long but if I could casually follow it without dropping 45 bucks for 13 of the four gazillion (and climbing) episodes I would totally get reinvested. I would even sit through those terrible goat episodes again.

I wonder if they'd make new DBZ bumpers or reuse old ones? Either way sounds magnificent.

Edit-
Also yes to Sailor Moon so hard. Seeing Sabrina after all these years (without my friend to mooch SM VHS tapes off of) would be nuts.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:24 pm

FUNimation's actually in the process of re-releasing what they have of One Piece so far in collection sets that have double the episodes for less than half the price.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am

I just thought everybody would like to see this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pCJnUXyQs&feature=plcp

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

I love it when he said ''Stay Gold'' :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Fri May 04, 2012 10:51 pm

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthre ... ning-Maybe

http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html

The May 26th and June 2nd schedule dates have the 12:30, 1:00, and 2:00 AM spaces blank.

Since both of those dates are on a Saturday....

....COULD THIS MEAN? :o
Last edited by Son Geeko on Sat May 05, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 am

Son Geeko wrote:http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html

The May 26th and June 2nd schedule dates have the 12:30, 1:00, and 2:00 AM spaces blank.

That an intern hasn't filled in the schedule yet to hide the fact they'll air Perfect Hair Forever?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat May 05, 2012 12:21 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Son Geeko wrote:http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html

That an intern hasn't filled in the schedule yet to hide the fact they'll air Perfect Hair Forever?
WHY do I keep relyin' on you Son Geeko-Man!?

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sat May 05, 2012 12:55 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:That an intern hasn't filled in the schedule yet to hide the fact they'll air Perfect Hair Forever?
Adult Swim has ALWAYS aired Kekkaishi, FLCL, The Big O, Ghost in the Shell, Durarara, and Inuyasha around that slot. Why would they suddenly change the Saturday schedules from that time on?

There's a good possibility that this might have something to do with Toonami, guess we'll just have to wait until May 26th to see if anything happens.

Akumaito Beam wrote:WHY do I keep relyin' on you Son Geeko-Man!?
Whoa, since when did I have a fanbase here? :lol:
Last edited by Son Geeko on Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Sat May 05, 2012 1:00 am

I really hope they get rid of cockaishi
sorry offtopic

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 am

Son Geeko wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:That an intern hasn't filled in the schedule yet to hide the fact they'll air Perfect Hair Forever?
Adult Swim has ALWAYS aired Kekkaishi, FLCL, The Big O, Ghost in the Shell, Durarara, and Inuyasha around that slot. Why would they suddenly change the Saturday schedules from that time on?

There's a good possibility that this might have something to do with Toonami, guess we'll just have to wait until May 26th to see if anything happens.

Akumaito Beam wrote:WHY do I keep relyin' on you Son Geeko-Man!?
Whoa, since when did I have a fanbase here? :lol:
Problem being that As isn't going to make a season 2 of any of the new stuff like Kekkaishi or Durarara since they just dub anime or broadcast dubbed stuff. I hear rumors that Bleach caused a lot of trouble and thus why they have gone to shorter anime series for new stuff to air.

Even if Toonami is returning it could take months. The april fools broadcast could just been used as a talking starter for whoever deals with the menial day to day business stuff of AS and whatnot.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 am

Saimaroimaru wrote:10:00-10:30pm Dragon Ball(From Dragonball to GT)
1:00-1:30am Fairy Tail
Fixed for you.

And I dunno about GT (since I kinda hate it) but the rest sounds good. I'd love Fairy Tail to get more recognition here in the US and that will only happen if it is on a main channel like CN.

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Tue May 08, 2012 8:14 am

Did anyone actually watch Yu Yu Hakusho that night because they resized widescreen to full so everyone is tall and really skinny.
I hated that

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Tue May 08, 2012 10:12 am

It was like that because the show was aired on HD via the Blu-ray masters, I've seen it happen before if you don't have HD reception, then you that "tallscreen."

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 am

Just so everyone knows, Adult Swim has been showing advertisements about bringing Toonami back.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 am

Avenged wrote:Just so everyone knows, Adult Swim has been showing advertisements about bringing Toonami back.
That's a very good sign. Thanks for the heads up, Avenged. There is one thing I'm curious about though: are these advertisements talking about the possibility of bringing Toonami back, or are they directly saying for sure that Toonami is coming back?
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).