Google Glass Project = DBZ Scouters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Google Glass Project = DBZ Scouters

Post by Drabaz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Have any of you heard about this new Project Glass from Google? They're glasses that have a digital display. It can do many things from take videos, make phone calls, gps, tell time and temperature, ect. While it's not exactly a replica of a scouter, it does show that the technology does exist. It's set to realease sometime around Christmas for prices ranging from up to $600. I'm saving up now in case this turns out to be as awesome as the hype makes it out to be.

Here's a video:
Project Glass: One Day
And here's an article:
The New York Times Article
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Google Glass Project = DBZ Scouters

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm

That looks goofy as all hell in my opinion :lol: kinda reminds me of when virtual boy came out
''It's 3D!''
I would never pay 600 dollars for this thing either. just ain't my cup of tea. I don't see the resemblance in this thing and the scouter.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I think it's pretty cool! It's like that old show, Ned's Declassified, where one of the main characters had computer glasses.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 pm

The technology itself sounds like a good idea to me, but until they design it so that you don't look like a guy wearing a weird eye-glass on your face I don't believe it will catch on. I just can't see people wearing those in public without getting weird looks.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 am

Coincidentally my favorite episode was actually when Raditz met up with Nappa in front of Strand Books.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 am

Haha, that was the first thing I thought when I heard they were making these. XD But I still prefer my toy scouter :P

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am

Yup, I have to agree that it looks really goofy. Hopefully this is just a prototype. Regardless, the exciting thing here is that the technology exists. I never thought I'd ever see a digital display on glass in my lifetime. And who knows, there are always people out there modding technology. Maybe someone will find a way to combine this and the toy scouters some of us have.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 am

Until it can read power levels, it is not a scouter. :lol:

On a more serious note, this is an amazing piece of tech, but is it really that practical... I view it more as a gimmick item.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 am

A scouter is also a transmitter and a communication device; Google Glass is connected to the internet so theres the communications. We saw plenty f uses for it and it being used a bunch for other than just power levels.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:58 am

would Google have a refunds policy if we encountered a Saiyan powering up?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Ehhh... it's just a little ring that fits around your head. Doesn't look really that "goofy" to me, it's not like they're making you wear a bucket over your head or something. Looks aren't always everything you know. :?
samuraix123 wrote:That looks goofy as all hell in my opinion :lol: kinda reminds me of when virtual boy came out
''It's 3D!''
....How does that remind you of the Virtual Boy exactly? They both seem to be very different products with different funtions and purposes.
samuraix123 wrote:I would never pay 600 dollars for this thing either. just ain't my cup of tea. I don't see the resemblance in this thing and the scouter.
Did you read the first post? It's not supposed to exactly be a "scouter" as seen from the series, but it's kinda simliar, it's basically a device that goes on your head and receives infomation from the outside world.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

These things are going to cause a lot more car accidents if they're ever sold to the public.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

funrush

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I'll buy one eventually if they make them like full glasses so you don't look like you have a wire tied around your head.

jordanator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jordanator » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Hmm. Well. If only they slashed the prices, gave them tinted lenses, made them resemble DBZ scouters with identical sounds, and allowed you to scan someone's lifeforce/battlepower/ki/~ something along those lines, then I'd probably cry with joy and buy 1000. It's a great idea though, but I have a bad feeling that if this did get released, it could very well follow the success pattern of Kinect.
PS3 PSN: Jordanator
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG: J0RDANAT0R
nathantheguitarist wrote: I will punch children.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Son Geeko wrote:Ehhh... it's just a little ring that fits around your head. Doesn't look really that "goofy" to me, it's not like they're making you wear a bucket over your head or something. Looks aren't always everything you know. :?
What do you mean ''Looks aren't always everything?'' the look of a product keeps you from looking like a jackass. and In my opinion I just think it's the new hip goofy thing coming out that will probably cause more harm than good. aren't people satisfied enough with Texting while driving? that's what got my best friend killed.

[quote=''Son Geeko'']....How does that remind you of the Virtual Boy exactly? They both seem to be very different products with different functions and purposes.[/quote] < I can't get this stupid thing to Quote :lol:

I was just making a joke about the Virtual Boy I didn't realize I had to point that out. If you have seen me posting here then you will know I'm a ''joke kinda guy'' I love to make people laugh.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:24 pm

One day I'll be able to see the battle power of fellow hipsters as I make a purchase at the local coffee truck. Can't wait.

PorungasWrath

Post by PorungasWrath » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 am

If i could use them to count power levels with them and they came out in the scouter design, yea. but other than that.. its just a phone for your eyes. plus its too expensive for my liking. wernt they tring to make something like this before but as a contact lens?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:10 am

Seen a video about what this can do and it sort reminded me of Kinect put into glasses. Cool & neat.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 pm

So I assume this thing doesn't scan people's battle power?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:31 pm

hleV wrote:So I assume this thing doesn't scan people's battle power?
There's more potential to this thing than scan someone's power level, like know their history/past/crimes/health/name/address/etc.

Knowing the names.. He he that'd be cool if Death Note existed in the real world. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray