You know what guys? It's time! It's time for me to forgive!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

You know what guys? It's time! It's time for me to forgive!

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm writing here today to make an announcement. This is not something that just happened to come out of the blue a few minutes ago, this is something that I've spent a good few weeks contemplating which I've finally decided to make good on today. Something that could take away one thing that I've been wanting but something that could gain me much more in the long run. This is something that can make one truly human:

I've decided to forgive FUNimation Entertainment.

You might all be wondering: "Okay, so what?" Here's how it all went down for me:

Back in 2006, after FUNimation abruptly canceled the Ultimate Uncuts at Vol. 9, I was incredibly livid with the company. I felt that as a loyal, paying customer, I was betrayed, abandoned, disregarded and disrespected. I felt that my money ($400 CDN paid) didn't matter to the company and the company didn't care for me nor did they care for my money. From this, I didn't feel like I needed to pay FUNimation any more of my hard earned dollars for their licenses as it would just make me a glutton to their services. At the same time, I felt that FUNimation needed to owe me and everyone else who invested in the Ultimate Uncuts a proper apology. Only then, would I feel that I could forgive them and then purchase their wares again.

Despite countless e-mails and letters which were never replied to, I never gave up on the grounds that FUNimation would finally grow a pair and apologize to their most dedicated fans for the cancellation of the Ultimate Uncuts. However, for every non-reply, I found myself getting more and more frustrated and angry to the point where I was willing to hold a grudge against the company for life. It also didn't help matters that ToonZone members Jacob Paschal and Duke, both of whom are FUNimation aficionados were practically telling me to get over it as they told me that that's just the way the business world works.

I held on to my grudge for 6 years. At the time, I felt that as long as FUNimation wasn't willing to own up to their customer inconveniences, I had no reason to forgive them. However, holding on to my grudge had caused me to do things that were not just deplorable, but downright inhuman.

I found myself growing contemptuous for anything and everything FUNimation. I also found myself growing contemptuous for people who liked FUNimation. Any time I heard people praising FUNimation, I felt that they were just being a bunch of gluttons who don't know the real face of FUNimation. I found myself laughing at their praise and having a desire to go over and smack them upside their head just to make them wake up to their gluttony. I wanted to tell them: "FUNimation doesn't care about you, they care about your damn money. Wake up!" But, since I tend to avoid conflicts in real life, I bit my tongue and walked in the other direction. Contempt turned to anger, anger turned to insanity. I found myself constantly muttering shit about FUNimation every day of my life: every time I went to work, every time I was alone, every time I came back from work. There wasn't one day that went by that I didn't feel like something bad should happen to FUNimation in payback to their so-called "business decisions". People started to notice what I was doing and were giving me strange looks or talking behind my back and wondering what the hell was my problem.

Such hatred and contempt had been reinforced after FUNimation canceled the Blu-Ray releases of the original Dragon Ball Z series. Only in this case, I felt that there were going to be more people on my side because this makes it the company's biggest screwjob since the cancellation of the Ultimate Uncuts.

But days after the cancellation of the Blu-Rays, not only did things not improve in my favor, I felt that my hatred for the company was getting worse. And as a result, I felt that I was losing my sanity more and more by the day. Personal mutterings turned to loud ramblings, looks from strangers turned to laughter, personal anger turned to undeserved outbursts to people I love.

All this over the cancellation of a fucking release back in 2006.

Anybody can tell you that personal issues and work-related stress do not mix. I would tend to think about the shit that FUNimation gave me when I'm working at times. The work that I do has constantly fluctuating rules. When you couple that up with a dickheaded coach, it can really do a number on you unless you have a strong work discipline. Recently, that strong work discipline shattered when I allowed myself to get overwhelmed by my grudge against FUNimation. My coach wanted me to deviate from my regular work load to try another project. I wound up making a rude outburst at him which wound up putting me in hot water with him and the project manager. I was forced to sign a warning notice where one more act of indiscretion would get me terminated from my job without exception. I knew then and there that things needed to change. Not only for my job future, but for myself as an individual.

I sought therapy. My therapist insisted that I should block all negative thoughts and focus solely on the good thoughts. I did healing exercises, I focused on things that are good. I even went as far as reading the Bible despite not being a devoted Christian.

Forgiveness to FUNimation was something that was rummaging through my mind as I was going through this therapy. I felt like it could help but at the same time, I also felt that if I were to let FUNimation go, then I would be accepting defeat and accepting that their screwjob was perfectly justified to the real devoted fans like me who would be willing to pay any price to support their releases. So, I didn't feel like I wanted to forgive FUNimation yet because I had hopes that one day, they will say sorry for the Ultimate Uncut affair.

Then one day, I watched an interview with Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. Tyler was being interviewed by Oprah Winfrey and was asked about forgiveness. Tyler stated that as corny and cliche as it is, we must forgive. Forgiveness is the answer to everything. It's the answer to every problem anyone has. Tyler tells us that we must try to forgive and by doing so, we must also forgive ourselves.

I haven't listened to much Aerosmith, but Steven Tyler is a big name in the music industry. Hell, he is a big name in the entertainment industry and these guys get put through a LOT of shit in their life. Tyler's a big star, I'm just a schmoe who watches anime and makes minimum wage to fund my habit of snacks, Internet, and all things Japanese culture. Tyler's words gave me a lot to think about overnight and I could say that I felt legitimately moved by them. I felt that my anger needed to go. I needed to get back the good things in life.

So with that, once again: I'm forgiving FUNimation. I'm forgiving them for the cancellation of the Ultimate Uncuts and the cancellation of the Blu-Rays.

FUNimation may be a business that wants to make money, but anything they do negatively business wise is not worth holding a grudge over. Holding a grudge against the company will not only not benefit you in the short run, but not benefit you in the long run. In fact, it could make things worse for you in the long run. It's not worth losing your mind, job, friends, family or even your soul over. We all have more important things in our life to contend with than the cancellation of a release.

So please, just forgive.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Re: You know what guys? It's time! It's time for me to forgi

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Is this a new internet meme or just a really long joke that probably could have been a lot shorter? Either way, good hustle.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Nice. More people need to forgive.

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm...not sure how to react.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:Is this a new internet meme or just a really long joke that probably could have been a lot shorter? Either way, good hustle.
This is no joke, Akumaito. I put a lot into this.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm afraid to react lol I guess it's good to forgive but never forget! "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." George bush-

No seriously though, I hear were you're coming from but we can't let these company's screw us over all the time. there's got to be line somewhere.

I'm just going to edit this in because I don't feel I have contributed to this conversation.

While I love Funimation I kinda get aggravated at them at times.
1st with the Ultimate Uncut editions
2nd with those God awful Orange Brick sets
Then they're most biggest mistake of all canceling the Blu-rays! which in my opinion looked vastly superior to the Dragon-boxes!
That was the most perfect release for the English fans! at-least for me anyways. and they up and canceled something that was great. I believe because they said it was ''to much time consuming?'' not 100% sure of that though :?
But if Toei can sit and down and clean up why can't Funimation? I think it's got to do with them being lazy. also I'm not forgetting that it does cost money to do a nice job ''Remastering something'' but I believe they seen it was going to take a long ass time, it wasn't planned out properly so fans that was willing to stick it out for long haul like me. get screwed because they wan't to take a different route in the remastering process which will ultimately end up like the Orange Bricks.
It's hard to forget something like that and in the end it will make consumers more weary of buying that product until it is finished. I guess my point is, ''Don't push products out for people to buy if you haven't thought the product out fully'' because in the end when things aren't thought out well they end up like
1.) Ultimate Uncut editions
2.) Orange Bricks
3.) Level sets
and I think that is about all I can add :D
Last edited by samuraix123 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Actually I was thinking of making a thread on whether some guys forgave Funimation or not. I remembered a lot of guys saying they would never watch anything else by Funimation due to what happened with DBZ, similar to how some guys said they would never forgive Dic or Nelvana for changes on Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura (though many would still watch their North American shows thy did without looking it up). Nice to know you got over it man, as forgiveness frees you, and you would've missed out of some of their other properties that are great. (Though still must warn you, avoid Master of Martial Hearts as it's Funimation's worst show. DBZ season 3 is more enjoyable than that).

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:
Akumaito Beam wrote:Is this a new internet meme or just a really long joke that probably could have been a lot shorter? Either way, good hustle.
Assuming it indeed isn't I recommend you don't leave therapy. It sounds like there's issues here rooted deeper than forgiving a company for canceling a DVD release of your favorite cartoon. I don't know how old you are or what your life experience has been but I can't imagine 6 years of unrequited seething rage just ended with "Meh, live and let live!" and I honestly would hate to see your reaction to much bigger dissapointments like being laid off or being dumped. So yeah, it would probably be in your best interest to still persue this.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:I honestly would hate to see your reaction to much bigger dissapointments like being laid off or being dumped.
Which reminds me that three or four years ago, the son of the boss of my brothers wife committed suicide because his girlfriend broke up with him.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:
Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:
Assuming it indeed isn't I recommend you don't leave therapy. It sounds like there's issues here rooted deeper than forgiving a company for canceling a DVD release of your favorite cartoon. I don't know how old you are or what your life experience has been but I can't imagine 6 years of unrequited seething rage just ended with "Meh, live and let live!" and I honestly would hate to see your reaction to much bigger dissapointments like being laid off or being dumped. So yeah, it would probably be in your best interest to still persue this.
While I'm not picking sides but isn't that a little ''harsh'' to tell another member of this site? :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm

I honestly don't see how it's harsh at all. As Metal Wario pointed out I'd hate to see someone hurt themselves or others if it can be prevented and seeing as how he was so mad at a cartoon company for a 6 year old debacle that it literally almost cost him his job I don't think a request to please stay in therapy is uncalled for at all.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Yeah, the cancellation of the UUEs and the Spanish DVDs ruined the chances of a full release of the Latin American dub. It made me angry as all hell, but definitely not as much as this. It's good to see you have gotten past this emmity towards FUNimation.
So mondo lame.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:04 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:I honestly don't see how it's harsh at all. As Metal Wario pointed out I'd hate to see someone hurt themselves or others if it can be prevented and seeing as how he was so mad at a cartoon company for a 6 year old debacle that it literally almost cost him his job I don't think a request to please stay in therapy is uncalled for at all.
I know but it just seemed harsh lol probably because I don't usually say stuff like that lol but to some people that cartoon may mean more to them then their job. for reasons we may not understand. they may have watched it with a family member that passed away and the way they honer their memory is by watching the show. I shouldn't have posted though saying it was harsh. I don't hold nothing against you :D
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:15 am

No offense taken at all! :D

I'm honestly not trying to play armchair psychologist which is why I recommended he follow up with a real one. I have all of zero education in that field so when an alarm goes off I figure the best way to handle the situation is to point the person to a doctor with formal training who knows what they're doing.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am

I didn't find Akumaito's advice to be harsh either. He does make a good point that I should continue with the therapy and that is exactly what I am doing. :)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:38 am

Interesting story but tl;dr, FUNimation has done some odd decisions for the DB franchise but what I've bought it's what matters to me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:I didn't find Akumaito's advice to be harsh either. He does make a good point that I should continue with the therapy and that is exactly what I am doing. :)
I'm glad to hear! I wish you the best of health. If you ever want to vent about anything to a complete stranger shoot me a PM. :D

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:I'm glad to hear! I wish you the best of health. If you ever want to vent about anything to a complete stranger shoot me a PM. :D
Thanks. Will do. :)

On the plus side, I find that watching Homestar Runner toons can be very therapeutic.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 am

Good on ya for forgiving, which by the sounds of it helped. Perspective helps too where most of the worlds population live on under a dollar a day and don't know where their next meal is coming from. Please don't take this a being disrespectful, I get caught up on stuff too, sometime we just need to know how lucky we are.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 am

Funi deserve people's forgiveness because like it or not they've tried to please us. The Dragon Boxes are the biggest examples. They keep the DBZ flame burning by constantly releasing DBZ merch every year or two.

Whether they do it for their own interest or not doesn't matter. They're a company and have to milk something if they have to, but there's also a LOT of fanaticism involved in what they do which I like about them. They love the show and feel attached to it.

I never feel disappointed in buying their products (except the Orange Bricks) because I only buy it for the Japanese version. I stopped watching their dub since 2005.