Favorite World Martial Arts Tournament/Tenka'ichi Budōkai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nikkolas
Regular

Favorite World Martial Arts Tournament/Tenka'ichi Budōkai?

Post by Nikkolas » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:20 pm

So I've finally getting around to buying the Dragonball seasons and I was contemplating how to go about this. I didn't know if I wanted to buy them all at once or get most now and buy the last couple later.

Thinking about it, I don't really feel like spending money on Season 1. The Pilaf Saga is too episodic for me and the 21st, while having some nice fights, is just a standard shounen fighting tournament. Apart from Nam, there's really very little in terms of the story behind it.

So I decided I'm at least going to buy the 3rd and 4th Season. Not only because I think the King Piccolo arc is possibly the best thing to ever happen to DB or Z, but also because it has the 22nd Tournament/Budokai. I remember thinking Goku vs. Tien/Tenshinhan was one of the best fights in the series and most importantly, this time the fighting did have a real story purpose. It was about helping Tien see the light and avenging Yamcha. That kind of emotional investment in the story is why i prefer it so much to the first.

And then I'm really drawing a blank on the 23rd. I think I was kinda burnt out after how epic Piccolo Daimaō was. I remember Kami was possessing some poor dude and then Goku got married in a rather retarded fashion and then he fought Piccolo Jr. I know a lot of people say that last fight is one of the best but I can't remember much of it at all.

So...the topic. I guess I kinda dragged the OP on a bit. Which tournament did you think was best and why?

P.S.
I know name usage is a somewhat touchy subject for some DB fans... I tried to use both the dub and "correct" names for things. I am a dub anime watcher but I try to cater to all sensibilities.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: Favorite World Martial Arts Tournament/Tenka'ichi Budōka

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:44 pm

I think the 23rd was the best. You get a fresh, new Goku fighting a fight you have waited for since the old Piccolo died. The anxiety factor made it all the more satisfying when you watched the fight.
So mondo lame.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to pick one, as the original three tournaments in the series were some of the best stuff in the series, and I enjoyed them all.

That said though, I think...I'll go with the 23rd Budokai, the final one where Goku fought Piccolo in the finals. From that point through the Raditz fight maybe, is actually that small window where the fighting style of the series is my favorite. There's still a lot of planning to the fights, a lot of strategy, and still a lot of focus on the physical side of fighting. That way, when really huge energy beam struggles do occur, they actually still feel really legit as an 'OH SHI-' moment.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

BrodieK41

Post by BrodieK41 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 pm

It's the 23rd for me. I do like the other tournaments (the 22nd comes really close) but I just love how the fights are drawn and it goes by a pretty good pace. I think in the anime the tournament only lasts around a dozen or so episodes and it never feels tedious or slow paced.
Last edited by BrodieK41 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 pm

The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, due to the beautifully choreographed fight that is Son Gokuu vs. Piccolo (best fight in DB, IMO), and the other great matches. After that, it's the 22nd, then the 21st, then the 25th, then lastly the 28th.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 pm

The three original tournaments are some of the highest points of the series, so it's hard to choose between them.

I haven't read or watched the 22nd and 23rd in a while, but I've been writing about the 21st lately, so that one's really fresh in my mind. As much as I like the first arc with Pilaf, I feel like Toriyama really hit his stride with the 21st Budoukai. It's a perfect mix of humor, action, and drama from start to finish, and does a great job of using both new and old characters. It's also full of all kinds of wacky attacks, and so many different swerves that keep the fights eventful and exciting.

It doesn't feel completely fair to say this when I haven't seen the others in a while, but maybe the 21st really is my favorite.
-Rachel

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Definitely 22nd for me. I really like the seriousness of Muten Roshi and the introduction of Tien to the series.

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:10 am

Alright if you want the tenshinhan saga/tournament? You have to buy 3 and 4 Because season 4 only has the second half while the 3rd contains the first half.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:04 am

I was going to say the 23rd, but I think the 21st edges it out. Perfect balance of humor and action there.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm

22nd easily. Goku vs. Tenshinhan was just amazing. I use that fight as an example when people say that Dragon Ball has no action because it was just so good, and is my favourite fight in the entire series.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Going to have to go with the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. The fight between Goku and Tenshinhan is very well choreographed in my opinion. I also think some of the early fights in this Budokai are well thought out and, in the case of Kuririn vs. Man-Wolf, clever and funny. This Budokai has just about every kind of fight in it and is entertaining from start to finish.

I'm going to have to agree with Jackal puFF about Muten Roshi as well. The interaction between him and Tsuru-Sen'nin in this Budokai is always interesting to watch.

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 am

23rd Tenkaichi. Had some kickass fight scenes (ex. Goku vs. Piccolo), really funny moments (ex. Yamcha vs. Kami) and a really sweet moment between two lovers (ex. Goku's proposal to Chichi) Not to mention, it set the standard of what's gonna come next in DBZ :D

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:36 am

I enjoyed the 22nd Budokai more because it was more Dragon Ball-ish. Goku was still a kid and there was way more hand-to-hand combat.

The 23rd action-wise felt more like the start of Z than the ending of DB.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:48 am

It's really, really hard to pick just one, but my favorite one has to be the 23rd Tenkaichi Tournament, I just love the fight between Goku and Piccolo; plus it's like the only time you get to see Piccolo as a huge ass giant! :lol:
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I'd go with the Tenshinhan one. That had so much tension, which was trumped by the Piccolo one, of course, but it had a better atmosphere to it. The journey factor was still in there, and while I love the characters being more grown up in the next tournament, this one still has that original DB charm. Tenshinhan was an asshole and a good villain for the amount of time, and his changeover was a nice addition. The fights were fun and had a deeper impact than the previous tournament. The Piccolo tournament formed the legs of DBZ, but the Tenshinhan tournament stands on its own and has a great follow-up story with Piccolo Daimao. Plus the final fight with Goku and Tenshinhan was the heaviest, coolest fight up to that point in the series. The Piccolo vs Goku fight at the final tournament of DB had more on the line, and it had some awesome scenes going for it, but I love the pairing of Goku and Tenshinhan more. The Kikouhou build-up and shot I'd still put in the top coolest moments of DB.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Definitely 22nd for me. I really like the seriousness of Muten Roshi and the introduction of Tien to the series.
Wait, the filters have been dropped/not brought over?

Hercule and Tien?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Hercule and Tien?
What the...!? :shock:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 pm

The 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. It is my favorite arc of the series. It had the perfect mix of hand to hand combat and use of chi.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm

That's my point of view as well.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 pm

For me it's the 22nd.

The rivalry between the two martial arts schools of Tsuru-sennin and Kame-sennin. The introduction of Tenshinhan. Roshi once again joining the tournament in disguise to test the new generations strength. Goku vs. Kuririn. Tenshinhan vs. Yamucha. Kuririn vs Choutzu was hilarious, and of course the incredible battle between Tenshinhan and Son Goku, which had them both using every bit of power and strategy they had. The tournament also ends on an alarming note with the death of Kuririn and the introduction of the first true villain of Dragon Ball, Piccolo Daimao.