Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Bussani
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am
Location: New Zealand

Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Bussani » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:11 am

Yesterday I was at the Armageddon Expo, New Zealand's only (to my knowledge) convention for anime, manga, cartoons, comics, television, films, and video games. It's a weekend-spanning event which in the past has always taken place twice a year in two separate cities. This year, however, they've started holding an extra one in a city called Hamilton, so I headed down to check it out.

How does this relate to Dragon Ball, you ask? Well, it's Armageddon tradition to hold a Kamehameha Contest, which I'm sure has been discussed on this forum once before. In the announcer's own words, it's the most ridiculous show of energy you'll ever see, but it's also a lot of fun and no one takes it even a little bit seriously. I captured this one on video and have uploaded it for anyone who's interested...though I feel the need to warn you that I'm not very good with a camera...!

2012 Hamilton Kamehameha Competition*

On the whole, the convention was a lot of fun. I got to meet Vic Mignogna for a second time, and I got this cute plush toy of Goku sitting on kinto'un!

Image

I could say more, but this is a forum, not my blog. If you're interested in seeing previous Kamehameha Contests, head on over to the Expo's official site. It's nice to see that Dragon Ball is still this enjoyed even in our little neck of the woods, don't you think?

*I realized after uploading the video that I forgot to cut this "guess the video game music" thing off of the start. The Kamehameha Contest begins at 3:30 if you want to skip to it.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Gonstead » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:20 am

Nice to hear from someone going to the Hamilton Armageddon.

I've been going to Armageddon Expo since 2004 at the Auckland one and it's a lot of fun meeting the guest starts that are worth meeting. I just wish they cut down on the Stargate guest stars.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:07 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Dizrythmia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 am

Ah conventions, the last refuge for Stargate stars... you just can't escape them. I've been to 3 Armageddon conventions (2 in Melbourne & 1 in Adelaide) & the Kamehameha contest is a good laugh. The last one I saw was hosted by Kyle Hebert.

Also, Vic is going to be at Adelaide Supanova later this year. I have heard mixed things about fans who have met him...

User avatar
Minigt
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:01 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Minigt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 am

Having competed in a few kamehameha competitions in the past I thoroughly recommend the. Good fun.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

User avatar
Bussani
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:09 am

As a Stargate fan, I can't really complain about their choice in guests! Anyway, I usually went to the Auckland one myself, but I've been too busy for the last few years. From now on I'm going to try to go as often as possible, so I'm sure I'll be filming more Kamehameha Competitions in the future. Maybe I'll see some of you other Kiwis there someday!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 am

Bussani wrote:As a Stargate fan, I can't really complain about their choice in guests! Anyway, I usually went to the Auckland one myself, but I've been too busy for the last few years. From now on I'm going to try to go as often as possible, so I'm sure I'll be filming more Kamehameha Competitions in the future. Maybe I'll see some of you other Kiwis there someday!
Wear a shirt with "Bussani" imprinted on it, then we'll see if we cross paths :P
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 am

Haven't been to Armageddon since I was five, in like 2002. Has the convention changed that much over time? I'm pretty sure the Kamehameha contest has been there forever though. :P

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Haven't been to Armageddon since I was five, in like 2002. Has the convention changed that much over time? I'm pretty sure the Kamehameha contest has been there forever though. :P
It's changed somewhat both in location and appearance but it still has the same feeling when you are there in person.

You can find a lot more stuff when it comes to it being hosted at Greenlane ASB Showgrounds rather than the Auckland town hall. The extra space is most welcome.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here
Posts: 2830
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:45 pm

I seem to recall in a PM a while ago that you said they often had several Dragon Ball figures? Do they have any other Japanese merchandise, (Kanzenban, etc.) like what we see members on this forum picking up at Otakon?

User avatar
Gonstead
I Live Here
Posts: 3500
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I seem to recall in a PM a while ago that you said they often had several Dragon Ball figures? Do they have any other Japanese merchandise, (Kanzenban, etc.) like what we see members on this forum picking up at Otakon?
I don't think so.

It's mostly statues and the occasional model kit unless it's Gundam when it comes to Anime merch. The DVD's are found in another area.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

User avatar
Bussani
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Hamilton's 2012 Kamehameha Contest

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Gonstead wrote:Wear a shirt with "Bussani" imprinted on it, then we'll see if we cross paths :P
I'll consider getting one made up!
Gonstead wrote:You can find a lot more stuff when it comes to it being hosted at Greenlane ASB Showgrounds rather than the Auckland town hall. The extra space is most welcome.
That's good to hear. I haven't been since they moved to the ASB Showgrounds, so I really must try to make it to the next one.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:I seem to recall in a PM a while ago that you said they often had several Dragon Ball figures? Do they have any other Japanese merchandise, (Kanzenban, etc.) like what we see members on this forum picking up at Otakon?
I'm pretty sure I've never seen something like a Kanzenban at an Armageddon, but I did see plenty of other Dragon Ball merchandise. I really should have been taking pictures to show here... One stand had some of those lovely DX Dragon Ball Creature models; I saw quite a few plush toys, including the one I bought (pictured in the first post), which is a Japanese product by Banpresto; and I saw practically all of the VizBIGs up for sale. A couple of places even sold the Kame Gi, if you feel like getting dressed up for these events! My one disappointment was that the Trinity Treasures stand, which sold replica swords, didn't have a replica of Trunks'--which I would have bought on the spot! Instead, I bought a Master Sword for my brother to hang on his wall.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Post Reply